• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Move Analysis: Ultimate Uppercut

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
I've seen few people talk about this move in general, and from what I've seen on most videos and streams, the neutral B of choice appears to be Shot Put.

Anywho, I thought I'd do some testing on the move I elected as my neutral B, just for the sake of passing the time, and here's what I found out.

Ultimate Uppercut has Super Armour

I haven't tested to see if an uncharged attack benefits from this, but when fully charged, the attack has Super Armour upon use, meaning it can be a reliable counter against smash attacks or specials if timed right.

Ultimate Uppercut has an animation glitch

Not sure if this is still in the game, but I have found that at a very specific moment, if the opponent grabs you while you try to execute the attack, at least when it's fully charged, you will retain the red glow on your hand until you use the attack again. it doesn't produce more damage, sadly, so it's more for the aesthetic. I found this in a match against a level 9 Marth.

Ultimate Uppercut has a Sweetspot

Much like the Shoryuken it seems to replicate, the attack has a sweet spot which deals a larger amount of damage and knockback than it would at any other period in the attack.

The Sweetspot can be found at the very base of the jump, and you'll know when you get it when the animation pauses, seemingly putting emphasis on when the attack lands on the victim's stomach or chin, before launching them skywards. The Mii I used is my own, which is the same weight as a guest Mii, but slightly taller, so animations and running aren't exactly as fast. While on the ground, an attack hitting the sweet spot will deal 22% damage, while one hitting at any other point in the animation will deal 17%. I'll touch on the knockback in a bit, since it's actually kind of bizarre.

In the air, damage is greatly reduced (15% sweetspot, 11% notspot) as well as the knockback, and since it not only puts you in free fall and is remarkably difficult to land, I suggest emulating Little Mac when using it and keeping your feet firmly on the ground.

Ultimate Uppercut is a Binary Charge Attack

This is a bit hard to explain, but anyway. You know how Lucario's Aurasphere or DK's windup punch all have a larger percent damage and knockback the longer you allow it to charge? Well, Ultimate Uppercut doesn't do that. Instead, you have two phases, which is Blue and Red. When Red, the attack will do the most it can do and have the largest amount of Knock Back, while the Blue Phase will have the least damage and knockback as well as lose its sweet spot.

For the 8% damage it can do on the ground, and the 6% in the air, it is pretty quick, though not suggested as an interrupt move when at lower percentages. It would probably be best utilised when fully charged, as the Red phase is just as quick as its Blue counterpart and can do so much more.

Ultimate Uppercut seemingly ignores Rage

This is the oddest part of the attack. When testing today, I was hoping to see if it might have a universal kill number that ignores weight (since it certainly seemed that way when playing against various NPCs.) What I found was actually quite unique. I utilised the two extremes when testing this, being Jigglypuff and Bowser.

I fully charged the attack and Continued to find the killing percentage on each character (For Jigglypuff, it was 68%, for Bowser it was 101%) while my Mii was at 0%. The targets were set to idle, and each attack was focused on the sweet spot. The stage used was Omega battlefield.

I then repeated the test when my percentage matched the target, and then for Jigglypuff, did it again while my Mii was at 101%, and again at 135% to be sure. On all tests, going even 1% lower would not result in a kill, and this was on idle NPCs who weren't utilising DI or Vectoring. (this I haven't tested yet).

Edit: Just to be extra sure, I did further tests with Jigglypuff and even being boosted to 203% doesn't seem to land a kill, and seemingly launches Jigglypuff the same distance.

When not hitting the sweetspot, the percent damage needed would climb greatly (Jigglypuff needing to be 91% to be KO'd) but it seems to be affected by the Rage mechanic, though in a very, very small way (a kill is not obtained until reaching 158%)

Edit: Turns out Rage is turned off in Training Mode, Not sure why, but hey, that proves this last tidbit to be false. My apologies.

Major Uses

Considering this information, I prefer to think of Ultimate Uppercut as a psychological defensive tool, as well as a standard attack.

The bonuses of the attack essentially find their niche alongside the, well, entire character that is Little Mac; a devastating blow that is mindbogglingly quick, and can be used to punish almost any missed attack if the opportunity arises. I find personal success in rolling behind smash attacks and missed specials then letting the attack fly.

It also functions as a defensive tool, as well. Given that the charge time (2-3.5 seconds) is one of the longest in the game, it's not strictly an attack that can be thrown about all the time. Instead, it's like Little Mac's KO punch, an attack that comes about rarely, and both player and opponent will know that you're going to make sure the attack hits. I liken it to a loaded gun; once you have a Red Ultimate Uppercut on standby, and your opponent is above 70%, then they may find themselves on the defense, not wanting to give you an opportunity to use it. Sadly, unlike the KO Punch, the Ultimate Uppercut will stay with you until you either use it, or are hurled off the stage.

Due to the ending lag and starting input lag, there are few instances where the attack can really be combo'd into or out of at lower percents. It's more of a punishing move or saving grace if you can time it right, and I've found it entertaining to use it as an edge guard when your opponent is aiming to get back onto the stage.

Last edited:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
This is actually pretty damn great, I wish I could bring myself to use Ultimate Uppercut, it just looks so cool, haha.

But... Doesn't the Rage effect turn itself off while playing Training mode?

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
This is actually pretty damn great, I wish I could bring myself to use Ultimate Uppercut, it just looks so cool, haha.

But... Doesn't the Rage effect turn itself off while playing Training mode?
After checking myself on a normal attack, yes, yes it does.

Damn, and here I thought I stumbled on something peculiar. Testing with Jiggly in a standard smash does show the Rage effect in full force, even at just 101%. I suppose it's both a blessing and a curse, but either way :p

Bralef

Smash Cadet
I used it for a while. Honestly, I just never found it that useful, even though I really want it to be awesome. The range is really small, the charge time is too long for my tastes, and even when I do land it, it's powerful, sure, but not really powerful enough to warrant using it. It's not like Brawler has a shortage of KO moves.

I think I'll just stick with the kick that functions almost exactly like Falcon Punch.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
I used it for a while. Honestly, I just never found it that useful, even though I really want it to be awesome. The range is really small, the charge time is too long for my tastes, and even when I do land it, it's powerful, sure, but not really powerful enough to warrant using it. It's not like Brawler has a shortage of KO moves.

I think I'll just stick with the kick that functions almost exactly like Falcon Punch.
It does have quite the aesthetic appeal, to be sure, but I honestly never found myself comfortable with something like a Falcon Punch. Something about that wind-up time leaving you vulnerable before the attack lands. Honestly, I get enough of that from the end lag on the Brawler's F-Smash.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I share that sentiment. Who needs Falcon Punch when you have Brawler Punch already? :p

Silverwind 2020

Smash Cadet

Are you sure? Personally, I have found many good times to use it. Sure the range is really small, but I've noticed that brawler takes a step forward when using this attack. It actually saved my butt the other day. I was fighting a friend in a one on one and I chose to use the attack just as he landed a blow that would have finished me off. Thanks to the super armor I was able to beat him, and because the guy I faced was a pretty decent Marth player, it was no walk in the park. Besides, the exploding side kick is a very risky move. Honestly, unless you either find a way to make him screw up, or you're fighting a noob, then your odds of landing it are pretty slim.....

Last edited:

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Ultimate Uppercut is my neutral-b of choice now. Shot Put is so laggy it's only really effective when the opponent is offstage, and it's not too problematic to avoid... Also a better move w/ janky slopes and stuff involved but Mii Brawler likely wants to avoid sloped stages in the first place.

The fear is real from having a charged Uppercut on hand. Just another thing they have to be aware of, you can't react to it. I scored many kills in-tourney today by players committing to long actions in mid-air by just running at them and throwing uppercut. Some tricky kills with jab 1-2 on shield, delay, and then throw Uppercut when they drop shield. It's also an incredibly effective punishing move, that goes without saying. Get-up attack on shield or bad rolls behind you get destroyed by Uppercut. Having a move you can charge like this is also an excellent tool for baiting approaches. You can effectively force an approach by charging this.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
You can also force an approach by spamming aerial Shot Put, hehe. I do it all the time :p

Of course, you have to be accurate with you, and it can get pretty hard. You make an interesting point regardless, I should try using it more often.

MiiBrawlerGod

Smash Rookie
the move is good since you can save it after its fully charged and it kills decently early. best neutral B for mii brawler.

Top Bottom