• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Optimal Controller Setup for Fox?

0 being a poor design and 5 being a very optimal design, how optimal is my controller setup?

Votes: 1 33.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Happyman20

Smash Rookie
(The links that I post are just to help clarify what exactly I am talking about or how something could be useful. I am sure most of you have seen them before. Also, most of the stuff I say are based on personal preference or my limited experience. I did not intend for this post to be long, and I hope I'm not confusing.)

So I have been maining Fox for over a year now, and have been trying to keep up with the newest techniques that this character has to offer even if they're considered by many to be a useless mechanic such as reversing the direction of firefox. However, I find some of the techniques to be too difficult or precise to execute with the standard controls of the gamecube controller. Therefore, I have modified the controller settings for the past year to where I am currently playing with the 6th version of my controller settings.

I am sure you can already see that the controller is mainly setup for the easy way of perfect pivoting, but I personally find perfect pivoting to be useful in mixups especially for fox such as extending an up-tilt combo or pivot crouching. On a side note if you didn't already know, the C-stick needs to be set to smash, and the attack and special move need to be able to cause a smash attack when pressed at the same time in order to do the easy perfect pivot. Also, the L and R triggers being set to special move and attack is the most common place to do easy perfect pivots. I would not recommend using the Z button for one of the two functions which I will explain later. I decided to place my shield at the B button since I find it a convenient place to shield, and also pressing the A and B buttons simultaneously allows for an easy grab. I am also still able to drop items without needing to air dodge in this way.

Some advantages for having the C-stick set to smash is that it allows for easy perfect pivot smash attacks, and I found perfect pivot tilts to be quite manageable also by using the easy perfect pivot mechanism. After pivoting, I can quickly let go of the L and R triggers and point the control stick in a direction while pressing the A button which is set to attack to do a tilt. I have tap jump off since it would be harder to do an up-tilt in this way.

Another advantage with the C-stick set to a smash attack is that it is easier to do a forward smash attack out of a run. When running past an opponent, you flick the control stick in their direction and right after flick the C-stick also in their direction to do a forward smash. When doing this, you can even hold the C-stick to charge the smash attack while doing a little slide after the run.

For my jump buttons, I use the Z button and the Y button. The Z button is so I can auto-cancel my up-airs easier. It is explained in this video. Even though he uses the C-stick as attack, you are still able to do the same thing with C-stick set to smash however the timing will be a little more strict. At least you will still be able to move fox horizontally when up-airing. Just make sure to flick the C-stick when doing an ariel since holding it will cause a decline of momentum in the air. The Z-button also lets you up-smash out of shield by holding the B button to shield, pressing the Z button to jump, and then quickly pressing up on the control stick and the A button to up-smash.

The Y-button is simply there since it is a natural place for some players to use to jump, and it also pairs well with the X button which is set for special move. When fox does his side special, he has less end lag in the air than a grounded side special. Therefore, jumping to side special can be done quickly with the jump and special button right next to each other. You could also use the L trigger, but I have yet to adapt to that.

Finally, I have no strong opinions if the rumble should be left on or not. If it distracts you from gaming, then turn it right off. I just use it to time some of fox's moves.

Of course there are some disadvantages in this control set-up such as making it more difficult to edge-cancel rapid jabs, but as he says in the video, fox doesn't have many potential follow-ups anyway. Also, it will be annoying to play another smash game since you would have to get used to the standard controls again. I would also like to add that I use this controller setup not just for fox, but for other characters in ssb4 since I find it to be universal.

Keep in mind though that I mainly created this thread to explain why I have certain buttons do certain functions, and to get opinions on what you guys think the most optimal controller setup for Fox would be.

*By the way, and this is a little off topic, is a grounded footstool to firefox a true combo? I am just asking this since it would nearly guarantee 28% on the opposing character, and if that character were at high percent, they would be launched high enough to where fox can quickly fast fall without getting punished. It could even potentially kill the other character.

Last edited:

GenkiDama

Smash Rookie
That setup is weird af bruhhh lol. I have L block R grab Z jump, tilt stick, tap jump off and ab smash off. I like having my right thumb have to cover as little area and inputs as possible. Z as jump allows for double stick shenanigans with my aerials, which I think you linked(i didn't click it just guessing). L just feels good for shield. I use shield a lot more than grab obviously so I put it on the left because reasons, idk. R is grab because well, it just is. I have y as jump and x as special attack(only for mashing purposes. See: beefy smash doodz vid on mashing). Pretty standard imo. Oh, btw, i had z as jump before i knew dbl stick aerials were a thing. When I first started playing smash(way back in october lol), I COULD NOT short hop with anything but Z.

Happyman20

Smash Rookie
Oh, I see how it is. Excuse me for my saltiness, but when I created this setup a month ago, some people thought these controls were ridiculous and completely out of the ordinary. Now that MySmashCorner, who is super awesome by the way, has created a very similar setup to what I have, it is all of a sudden super useful and cool. I'm completely happy though that people are starting to notice how useful this setup is, and I thank of course MySmashCorner for creating even a better controller setup and explaining the utilities of it better than I could. I don't mean to bump this forum, but I just wanted to mention this.

Kanunuu

Smash Cadet
I was about to mention bidou. There are a few issues I have with bidou though. Perfect pivot attacks are inaccurate, due to you not being able to buffer them out of a perfect pivot. This makes it slower and more imprecise than regular perfect pivot attack. I also think that short hop up air is harder and more inaccurate with c stick to smash, but I think bidou can still buffer the up air during the jumpsquat. Don't quote me on that though. The other issue with bidou, is that 4 shoulder buttons is almost necessary. This makes using the gamecube controller really difficult for this layout. Thanks for bumping this thread man!

Top Bottom