• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most difficult characters to defeat and how to do it

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
Of the few times i have played the game, ive noticed that there are certain characters that give Ike the most trouble. The three that i have noticed are Diddy, Olimar, and Snake. Lets start with Diddy, "the Bananas" not only can he pull them out quickly, he uses them as a barrier for side b's and anytime i try to go on the offensive. He runs fast and waits till i slip to knock me off the ledge. The fact that i dont understand his attacks leaves me vulnerable as well. How long can the monkey do a kart wheel? And now to Olimar, i have brought him up on other threads and people seem to agree. His pikmin are definitely annoying. If you try to recover using side b, he can throw a pikmin at you, resulting in you slashing at the pikmin and killing yourself. Also, he can run circles around you, latching pikmin onto you causing heavy damage. And if you try swingly blindly to take them off, he will either just throw more onto you, or attack you after your attack has finished. I think Snake is self explanitory, his grenades, rocket launcher, and mines are all just mind games. As long as he has distance he has an edge over you. Snake is the one character i have yet played againts, and he seems like the most difficult. Feel free to add any other characters you think are a difficult match for Ike.

Ween

Smash Cadet
what about DDD? he's heavy and strong and can float. I'm wondering if DDD is faster or slower

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
what about DDD? he's heavy and strong and can float. I'm wondering if DDD is faster or slower
Im not sure if hes faster or slower, from what ive seen i think hes slower, I do know that he can jump (or float) higher than Ike.

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
Everyone seems to think Snake is a really tough matchup, but I haven't had much trouble. If you can space him out, he's not especially difficult. Just keep your wits about you and don't let him lay a mine on you.
Same goes for Olimar. I've had a chance to play one of the best Olimar's as of yet (Bossnasty), and, though hard to approach from above, he's not as difficult as some matchups.

The hardest matchups I've had so far are Wolf, Mario, and Pikachu.
All of them are short, all of them have a campy projectile, and all of them have good spacing games and forward reaching attacks from the ground (something Ike is not especially great at approaching).
This makes life difficult. Why? It kills your approach.
1. You cannot use quick draw approach, since projectile stops you (and sometimes you slash it, which could be even worse).
2. You cannot use moonwalk back-air approach, because the projectiles turn you around, and often times they are too short to be hit by it anyway.
3. All you're left with is forward air, neutral air, and mindgaming variants (short hop no attack, space back, wait for shield grab, run in and grab, etc.)

For people who don't camp, this is an inconvienence you can work around. For people who play specifically campy styles, this can be extremely frustrating.

JoeTang

Smash Cadet
I've had the most trouble with Pikmin. They get in the way of Quick Draw approaches, leaving only Short Hops available. Reverse Aerial Rushes aren't very useful either since he's so short, and most of his attacks will come out faster. He's light though so if hits do land, they land hard.

D

Deleted member

dash attack gets olimar really bad. Ike's dash attack is amazing anyway, so it's not that bad. DI everything up and use up B to escape his pikmin and he's not that bad.

I think pit is a *******. lasers + roll dodge back is too hard to hit.

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, it's a big white wall of death >< i'm going to read it but for future referance plz dont create blocks of white text :psycho::rocket:

Aiko

Smash Champion
Dedede is MUCH faster than Ike. He also has a chaingrab on Ike and combos very well. Edgeguarding with Dedede is very good too as he can go extremely far out and still make it back comfortably. Dedede also has tons of range, some which out range Ikes so it can be a hard match up.

Ike's grand viper is absolutely essential for spacing and approaching.
Btw I play both Dedede and Ike so I know their strengths and weaknesses. Not completely obviously, but enough to know how to get around each other.

gotitmemorized

Smash Rookie
You seem to be having trouble fighting Diddy? You said something along the lines of not understanding his attacks. If so, try playing as him. His attacks LOOK orthodox, but are actually quite simple.

His bananas are quite easy to dodge. Not only can you pick them up and throw them, but all you have to do is jump over them and engage in an arial battle. Diddy isn't too strong of an arial fighter. Knock him off the platform and he's easy pickings.

Top Bottom