• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most annoying Matchups: Disrespect by character

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
I'm a marth player and whenever i beat someone as marth for some reason, some stupid logic, people seem to think, "oh hes going marth, ill just beat him as lucina huhuhuh" and honestly im just sick of this matchup for that reason. I don't care to debate about which character is better, and i dont care about the outcome of said matchup. Quit trying to beat marth players as lucina. please. If anyone else has a similar matchup they hate when people try to character disrespect you feel free to post here.

HYP3R

Smash Lord
Sometimes when I'm having fun I'll bring out the Dr. Mario
If I win the first match they'll switch to regular Mario
I know Mario is better than Dr. Mario, you don't have to prove it to me.

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
One thing I hate about being a ROB main is the fact people will label me as a spammer despite not doing any sort of spam.

It's because of this I'll often find people bringing out Samus and doing the typical For Glory Samus routine. Charging B, Missles, ROLLING FOR DAYS, etc. I really wish I knew why people get this way when I'm ROB. I don't run and hide and I hardly use his Robo Beam as often as I should. While I do try to use his Gyro to get combos, use it for preasure, edge guards, etc I don't find myself spamming it at all.

And if it's not Samus I find people will commonly switch to Mario or Fox/Falco like their reflectors are going to make a difference. I've seen you try to reflect 6 times in a row when I wasn't even doing anything. What makes you think I'll actually fall for it at this point...?

In short, when I play ROB I'll often get this:

Option A: They pick Samus because "I CAN TOTALLY OUT SPAM YOU, SPAMMER!"
Option B: They pick Mario or Fox/Falco because "YOU CAN'T USE PROJECTILES IF I CAN REFLECT THEM HURR DURR!"

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
KirbCider KirbCider As a Mega Man player, I feel your pain. Though I still hating fighting R.O.B. :p

One thing I hate about being a Mega Man player online is that some people think just because they use Villager they automatically win. News flash, Mega Man actually beats Villager. There's only 3 moves that Villager can take advantage of with his Pocket, and we don't use F-Smash very often, let alone on Villager. I've had this happen to me a lot, and it drives me insane every time. Sometimes people will go Falco and just spam his Reflector at me, which I can get around. Geez, people need to know that just because you have something that can make projectiles less stressful, that doesn't mean you have an instant get out of jail free card.

Nah

Smash Champion
I'm a marth player and whenever i beat someone as marth for some reason, some stupid logic, people seem to think, "oh hes going marth, ill just beat him as lucina huhuhuh" .
I've had that happen to me too, except the difference is that I play Lucina and it's people switching to Marth on me. I find it cute though, we get to have a little Falchion duel lol it's even better when they still lose anyway

The only MU that really ever bothers me is Ness. There's just something about fighting that character I really don't like.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
I've had that happen to me too, except the difference is that I play Lucina and it's people switching to Marth on me. I find it cute though, we get to have a little Falchion duel lol it's even better when they still lose anyway

The only MU that really ever bothers me is Ness. There's just something about fighting that character I really don't like.
ugh ness. the only thing they do is d-throw f-air f-air. ( not really i know) i never see ness players use d-smash or u-smash. but you know. thats the braindead way to play.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
For me, anyone who could outcamp Robin, go on the offensive, or turn his projectiles against him is an annoying matchup. Like Fox, Villager, Megaman, for example. Fox will rush him down, barely giving Robin any chance to zone him out. He could also reflect Arcthunders, Thorons, and maybe even Elthunders if they read correctly. Villager's slingshots get in the way when Robin's either trying to charge his Thunder or just trying to attack. When this happens, he has to start all over, plus at the cost of a durability point if he used an attack. Don't get me started on Pocket either. Megaman's pellets are around the exact same as Villager's slingshots, just more frequent. But whenever someone tries to counter my Robin, it's usually someone with a reflector. Like a Fox, Falco, or Mario. And then whenever they get close, they spam that reflector, expecting to reflect a projectile.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
For me, anyone who could outcamp Robin, go on the offensive, or turn his projectiles against him is an annoying matchup. Like Fox, Villager, Megaman, for example. Fox will rush him down, barely giving Robin any chance to zone him out. He could also reflect Arcthunders, Thorons, and maybe even Elthunders if they read correctly. Villager's slingshots get in the way when Robin's either trying to charge his Thunder or just trying to attack. When this happens, he has to start all over, plus at the cost of a durability point if he used an attack. Don't get me started on Pocket either. Megaman's pellets are around the exact same as Villager's slingshots, just more frequent. But whenever someone tries to counter my Robin, it's usually someone with a reflector. Like a Fox, Falco, or Mario. And then whenever they get close, they spam that reflector, expecting to reflect a projectile.
They sound like idiots..... unless the only thing you use is your projectiles. It would make sense then. Don't forget to mix it up!

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
:4sonic: when I'm not playing as :4megaman:. Hearing spin dash canceling is extremely ear grating.
:rosalina: mainly because of Luma and her insane disjoints.
:4olimar: spamming his pikmin and using them as a shield.
:4wario2: riding on his bike along with his bite, aerial mobility, and stalling for waft.
:4corrin: whenever there is even a slight bit of lag.
:4wiifit: will almost always spam and camp. I've come across Wii Fit Trainers that were even more campy than most Sonics.
:4sheik: enough said.

No offense to anyone that mains/likes these characters. This is just how I feel personally.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
They sound like idiots..... unless the only thing you use is your projectiles. It would make sense then. Don't forget to mix it up!
Heh, of course not. I just think they get paranoid whenever I charge up to the Arcthunder level. In fact, if their character has a reflector, I restrict myself to using as little projectiles as possible.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
Heh, of course not. I just think they get paranoid whenever I charge up to the Arcthunder level. In fact, if their character has a reflector, I restrict myself to using as little projectiles as possible.
Well then they just suck. arcthunder is kinda easy to dodge. just like thoron or elthunder. JUMP! or shield, either way.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I really don't understand why people get annoyed by character switching. I like to do it just because the matchup amuses me. I often stick with swordies when facing swordies just for the sword duel aspect of it. I'll switch to Ganon against Link because Game Over, Return of Ganon. I'll switch to Dedede against Kirby because I gotta clobba dat dere Kirbeh.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
I really don't understand why people get annoyed by character switching. I like to do it just because the matchup amuses me. I often stick with swordies when facing swordies just for the sword duel aspect of it. I'll switch to Ganon against Link because Game Over, Return of Ganon. I'll switch to Dedede against Kirby because I gotta clobba dat dere Kirbeh.
It's not the fact that they're switching its when they switch to certain characters against certain characters.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I'm personally bothered by the fact that you can't see who your opponent is switching too. I hate getting blindsided when I think someone's going one character than turns out they're going for someone else. It's annoying.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
It is a legitimate tactic though. It's called counterpicking.
No i know that. just certain matchups and certain characters irk me. like the afore mentioned marth/lucina or any dittos or any campy characters. or characters you just see way too many of. ugh. Falcons, marios, etc
Edit: I'm just a whiney *****. Don't take my complaints all too seriously. I learned that posting here and seeing i'm not the only person with these complaints helps me vent.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
When I beat someone with Lucina and they go Marth only to get beat again.
I lost count as to how much I had that happen to me but I know how irritating that matchup was to me.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
When I beat someone with Lucina and they go Marth only to get beat again.
I lost count as to how much I had that happen to me but I know how irritating that matchup was to me.
yeah the salty matchups are just so dumb

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Why don't they just go Cloud since he does have a "I win" button. It's why he never loses on for glory am I right? :smirk:

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
When I play Cloud and people are like "Oh...You have a Cloud...I ALSO have a Cloud."

Some people even see my Cloud appear on screen and SD then just ditto me. Like it's 20FF or something.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
****, Cloud dittos are the worst. Every time I beat somebody with Cloud, they ditto on my ass with him it's annoying.
I mean, did any of those people even played his game before?

Heracr055

Smash Ace
As a Ryu main, I'd say Ganon and Samus are annoying. I think Ganon's better than people give him credit for against Ryu online; he outranges us, can beat Focus Attack with Nair/Side B, etc. I suppose Ganon players I've fought are really good at reading, and I'm glad Ganon players are pushing their char.
Samus players are a pain because they have the tools to keep Ryu out. I find myself losing to them much more than I beat them. I was beating one the other day, had 2 stocks vs their 110% last stock. I SD'ed once because by Up B didn't reverse offstage, and I ended up losing to Rage projectiles. I felt awful after.
And people who switch to Ryu next match are an annoyance too. I don't think I've lost a counterpick Ryu match yet, so that's good

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
****, Cloud dittos are the worst. Every time I beat somebody with Cloud, they ditto on my *** with him it's annoying.
I mean, did any of those people even played his game before?
Meh any time a cloud player comes at my charizard I roll my eyes and cream him with flamethrower when he inevitably uses his limit too early and gets knocked off the stage, without limit his recovery is crap so one of three things happen
  1. He doesn't recovery high enough so he falls and loses.
  2. He barely manages to make it to the ledge and these are the GOOD cloud players.
  3. He overshoots the ledge leaving him wide open for a down or forward smash, I call that one my 'set-up and smash' maneuver.
One of the more annoying matchups is when I win with charizard and they try to go with what they think is top-tier like rosalina, ZSS, Captain falcon, either of the starfox team, heck they even tried a ganondorf.
If those fail they try to use MY main and well it's surprising but they actually improve when they do this surprisingly. Still win and it's still annoying though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom