• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More stuff I learned

hussaibi

Smash Rookie
Link to original post: [drupal=5112]More stuff I learned[/drupal]

I find that being able to beat a good (but not pro) Fox (that you don't practice on daily)
is a very big hurdle for Ganon (I'm not just talking about Raynex but other
Foxes in the T.O. community too). This is especially true for platform stages
where I'm (suppose to be) at the advantage (air fights seam to me as ganon's domain
against fast falling characters. The only exception appears to be Falco due to being
the only character with fast projectiles (his lasers))

I learned the advance melee stuff through playing Ganon.
I think my learning experience was pretty different from other people. I was forced to focus
on out-spacing opponents with a slow character with a few quick short-range and slow-long
range strong moves rather than focusing on move-choice with a fast character with
fast-yet-slow-recovering onger-range strong moves (i.e. Marth), or a fast character with fast
yet relatively weak (wrt percentage) moves that combo well (i.e. Fox).

As a result, I avoided using fairs for a very long time and instead tried to get better at
combos involving dash hits, which requires the same reaction as (real) dash-dancing.

Currently, I've hit a new wall with Ganon (not implying I overcame my fox wall). After
using fairs more, I've started fighting more in the air and less on the ground. However,
there's a Marth that I can't seam to consistently beat (same Marth who eliminated me
at my first Tourney). You might know him if you're a member of the University of
Toronto Fight Club.

Recently his play style changed and ripped me a new goal. From what I observed, he
dominated me because he never approached me in the air. Ever. And he was very consistent
in spacing out the edge (He somehow new when I was going to roll). Also, he only seamed
to neutral air away from me, never towards. And the weirdest of all, he side-B'ed to punish my
poor spacing when I wasn't in tippering range.

If any one recognizes this pattern and has any tips, I'm all ears. I' know this approach is custom
tailored against Ganons and not just my Ganon in particular. (I had a talk with him later about his
improvements and the patterns I thought I saw)

I feel as if I should shift back to the ground attacks a bit. Dash hits against Marth with Ganon cancel,
but Marth is a bit slow to recover with smashs, so Ganon has enough time and range to crouch hit or tilt.
However, I'm certain this would be regression on my part and not progression.

FYI: His Marth isn't as predictable as I make it sound. He's been at Melee longer than me. Although, I
might have unconsciously avoided just getting up on the stage, now that I think back to it.

How do you bait a well-planned ground-oriented Marth into the air with Ganon?

Top Bottom