• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Morbid Fascination Towards Leaks?

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
Am I the only one that finds amusement in reading leaks, regardless if they sound legit or not?

To me, it leads me back to 2001 when the Melee leaks started happening, but it wasn't like today where people can post any leaks they want, make detailed videos, discuss and dissect them and such. There was a lot more naivete when it came to these leaks and thus I believed them and got hyped...Only to be disappointed when it wasn't the truth.

And yet...that didn't stop me from looking up leaks whenever a new Smash game is released, see videos, and speculate which ones feel the most real. I think a lot of it comes from the fact that I am so eager to get the game that playing the waiting game leads me to seek new info, regardless if it's legit or not, to satisfy that craving while the game is released. Plus I love reading what some leakers come up with and try and compare them to what reality has told us.

So am I the only one that seeks pleasure in reading these leaks even though there is a part of my mind that says "don't buy into this, a lot of it is likely trolling and fake"?

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
The pleasure I get out of leaks is seeing what happens over time. Let's take the Vergeben leak. If I remember correctly, he was the first one to say that Simon Belmont was absolutely going to be in Ultimate. Then, suddenly every other leak mentions Belmont.
I'm not the kind of person who's terribly worried about what the final roster looks like. Brawl gave me pretty much the entire roster that I wanted, and Smash 4 took care of the ones I didn't know I wanted. So it's more of an interesting psychology experiment for me.

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
My other pleasure is how once a leak has some credibility, the following leaks tend to repeat what they say and just add something to make it either stand out or troll people. Like how as soon as Simon and K Rool were confirmed, everyone was all like "I TOTES CALLED IT PLUS ISABELLE, GENO AND GARDEVOIR ARE IN THE GAME IT IS TRUE MY UNCLE WORKS AT NINTENDO!". I know many hail from 4chan but many speak with so much certainty that it is adorable.

Top Bottom