• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moral codes

What is the ultimate moral good to you (what is your morality - who do you agree with)?

• Me (egoism - Ayn Rand).

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Others (altruism - Comte).

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Everyone (egalitarianism - Bentham).

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • God (theism - Jesus).

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Happiness (hedonism - Epicurus).

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Virtue (virtue ethics - Plato).

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Following moral rules (deontology - Kant).

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I reject the idea of an 'ultimate moral good' (pragmatism/postmodernism - Dewey).

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • I reject the idea of a 'moral good' (nihilism/amoralism - Nietzsche).

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters

AfungusAmongus

Smash Apprentice
Virtue ethics: "Shooting people is bad because it's motivated by malice, and shows a lack of compassion."
Deontology: "Shooting people is bad because it violates human rights and the golden rule."

AfungusAmongus

Smash Apprentice
Pragmatists rejoice! Dewey's lost manuscript has been found and published! The 40-page introduction+foreword gives the full story and puts it in context of Dewey's philosophy. 3 page TL;DR at Philosophy Now.

TL;DR^2: Dewey wants philosophy to co-opt aspects of the scientific method.

Last edited:

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
Virtue ethics: "Shooting people is bad because it's motivated by malice, and shows a lack of compassion."
Deontology: "Shooting people is bad because it violates human rights and the golden rule."
Whether shooting somebody is bad? Not clear enough. I may shoot somebody in self-defense or somebody else may ask me to shoot them, it wouldn't be an evil thing to do in those circumstances regardless of motivation or ideals.

On the other hand...

'It is wrong to initiate undesired harm upon another person' fits any circumstance.

Why is it wrong? ...because it can't possibly be considered good! Let us propose the opposite:

'It is right to initiate undesired harm upon another person'

So now we're forced to classify anyone who is not starting fights to be evil, this includes people who are physically unable despite a lack of choice (the reason ethics exists as an idea). Furthermore, it's only possible for one person to start a fight, automatically condemning the target(s) for acting in self-defense - that means it's impossible for everyone to maintain a state of virtue under such a rule. There's one more issue here, if everyone accepts initiating harm upon others as good then it's no longer undesired, furthering the impossibility of virtue.

Naturally we conclude:

If we are to achieve virtue, then 'It is not right to initiate undesired harm upon another person'. That's something we can all follow at all times.

Yet simply refraining from evil does not make someone a saint. The specifics of virtue (honesty, courage, respect, etc) are more circumstantial whereas evil is absolute.

Last edited:
Top Bottom