• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monty Oum, creator of RWBY, has passed away.

Dr. Doctor

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkwingBuck

On this day, February 2nd of 2015, Monty Oum, creator of Rooster Teeth's RWBY has passed away.

From his page on roosterteeth.com:

Our friend, inspiration and co-worker Monty Oum passed away yesterday afternoon at 4:34 PM surrounded by people who loved him very much. Ten days ago Monty suffered a severe allergic reaction during a simple medical procedure that left him in a coma. Although he fought bravely, his body was not able to recover. During his time in the hospital he was well cared for and never in pain at any time.

Monty is survived by his wife Sheena, his father Mony, his brothers Woody, Sey, Chivy and Neat, and his sisters Thea and Theary, as well as a countless number of fans and friends. We were so proud to be a part of his life and we will miss him greatly.

Your generosity during the hours after the public statement on Friday will help his family deal with the costs of his care and his passing. You made an incredible difference during a difficult time and we cannot thank you enough.

As for honoring Monty, we will do that in our own way. In lieu of flowers or gifts, we ask that you simply do something creative. Use your imagination to make the world a better place in any way that you can. If you know Monty like we do, then you know he would certainly be doing that if he were able to.

Monty was 33 years old.

We love you, Monty.
Post regarding the matter from Gavino Free:

It’s impossible to explain how unique monty was. He was the most inspiring person to be around.
The way his mind worked was so fluid and efficient. I was constantly in awe when he would show me snippets of the stuff he’d been working on.

Before I met him i thought i would find him intimidating in person, but he was instantly the easiest guy to talk to. We bonded immediately over RvB and I loved him ever since. I could never figure out how someone so talented at an art could be so down to earth in person.

About 18 months ago I was at PAX with him and he knew I liked Meg Turney who was also there. He kept telling me to find her talk to her but I was too scared/shy. Burnie had introduced us at a party a month earlier and it had gone pretty well but I was scared to go talk to her again as I was way more sober this time and was lacking confidence. At some point monty went off to go explore the convention centre and about an hour later, came back with Meg Turney. He said “Hey Gavin, why don’t you go for a walk with Meg?” I had a mouthful of sandwich and immediately threw the rest of it down and was like “ah… ****… OK!” We went for a small walk around the convention centre and got to know each other a little better. He threw me in at the deep end and I was so thankful for it. I guess he didn’t want me to miss my opportunity. That sums up monty. No messing about. Absolute go-getter.

He taught me a lot about how valuable time is and how it should never be wasted. No point beating around the bush at anything. Always work towards your goal. This was so visible in his work. Why waste time just reloading a sniper rifle when you can use the recoil to slice an enemy’s head off?

His work was so important to him and he was so proud of it. Another valuable lesson learned. Take pride in what you do. Don’t half-ass anything.

He was the hardest working, kindest, most caring dude I knew. And probably the greatest wingman of all time.
I owe so much to him. Including the relationship I am in with Meg.

Monty Oum, I will miss you so much. <3
: (
and from Meg Turney:

Today my heart is broken. Monty and I became friends about a year before I started with at Rooster Teeth - actually, he was my first friend at the company. We bonded over cosplay. I was actually contacted about being hired to be in a RWBY cosplay group and I remember being floored at the gorgeous design. Sadly, the job fell through, but we stayed in touch. My favorite thing about Monty was his complete refusal to allow people to give up. Gav shared his side of this story today, and I wanted to share my version, too, because I think it so perfectly illustrates Monty and why I adored him so. So, at PAX in 2013, I went by the Rooster Teeth booth to say hi to Monty. He'd been having some girl troubles and we did a lap around the convention center together before finding a quiet corner to hash out what was bothering him. I gave him my idea of what he should do and then he turned the tables on me. He knew I had a big crush on Gavin and asked me where things were going. I told Monty that I didn't think Gavin was that into me and I wasn't going to push it any further. Monty absolutely refused to let me ***** out. He told me again and again he just knew we'd be perfect together and that Gavin was just shy and I'd have to be the one to go for it. Again, I got embarrassed, blushy - said I couldn't do it. Monty finally let it go and said, "Well, fine. At least walk me back to the RT booth." So I did. And wouldn't you know it the freaking second we walk up to the booth Monty looks at Gavin and says, "Hey, why don't you take Meg for a walk?" I tried to play it cool saying, "Oh no, Monty - he's eating! It's totally cool." and Monty immediately shut me down saying, "He can walk and eat!" Gavin, of course, opted to just throw his entire sandwich away and off we went. The rest, they say, is history, but I always told Monty after that how much I appreciated him playing Cupid and I'm glad I did. He never let me give up. He was always dreaming of something bigger, better, more badass and never let anyone take a step back - but somehow managed to do it with a love and kindness I have never known. He was and will continue to be a source of inspiration and I am comforted only by his own words now:

"I believe that the human spirit is indomitable. If you endeavor to achieve, it will happen given enough resolve. It may not be immediate, and often your greater dreams is something you will not achieve within your own lifetime. The effort you put forth to anything transcends yourself, for there is no futility even in death."

Monty, you threw me into the arms of my greatest love - someone who I never would have had the privilege of loving and being loved by without your tenacious intervention on more than one occasion. I love you, I miss you, and I will never stop striving to make you proud. Rest easy, friend, we've got a lot of DDR to play someday.

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
I am a big fan of Rooster Teeth. They have been my driving force and inspiration to make content for people to enjoy, while doing the things you love. Monty was a great source of that inspiration, and his work on RWBY always left me in awe. His death has hit a little close to home, knowing that he strived to do what he loved, and used every single minute of his life doing so. I will miss him a lot; I never knew just how much this would hurt until he was gone.

It's still not too late to donate to Monety and Sheena's (his wife) medical fund, found here.

His legacy will live on. And what he has shown us will truly make a mark to those who were inspired by him. Rest in peace.

From the man himself, on a journal post months ago:

"I believe that the human spirit is indomitable. If you endeavor to achieve, it will happen given enough resolve. It may not be immediate, and often your greater dreams is something you will not achieve within your own lifetime. The effort you put forth to anything transcends yourself, for there is no futility even in death." – Monty Oum

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Touching video from Rooster Teeth:

Farewell, Monty. You will be missed dearly.

You've inspired a lot of people to become just like you; hard-working, dedicated, but still has time to have fun. If it weren't for you, a lot of things would be different for RT and those who watches their videos. The care and dedication you left in your videos was remarkable and the plots were always so good. You were one of, if not the best animator/director out there and even though you left the world too soon, you'll never leave our hearts.

Thank you, Monty, for being who you were until the very end.

Monty Oum
1981-2015

Top Bottom