• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monkey Flip Guide

=)@MePlz

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to the Monkey Flip Guide!

*Before I start, let me say that I am not a professional player at Diddy Kong. I am average at best. This is a general thread and I am open to any info on Monkey Flip. Thank you for your time reading this guide.

Any questions, PM me.

What is the jabbering of this "Monkey Flip" and "Diddy Hump" stuff?

Monkey Flip is Diddy Kong's Side-B move and his one of his recovery moves, along with Rocket Barrel Boost. It ranges in damage: 10%, 12%, 14%, and 15%. After using Monkey Flip, you can press the B or A buttons to go into a fighting pose, similar to some Chuck Norris movie. Therefore, the kicking animation will be called the Norris. Well, in this post it will be. The time opening for using this epic kick is the almost the entire animation of Monkey Flip. If you don't press A or B, then you can latch onto the opponent, called the infamous Diddy Hump. If you still don't get it, just read on. I think you'll get the idea of it.

Abbreviations

DH: Diddy Hump
D3: King Dedede

The Norris

Personal View
I think the Norris is similar to a sex kick, because of...
  • Long animation
  • Varying amounts of damage
...And it's sexy. Duh!

In general, I don't use this as much as my naners. Wait... who does? It's not a bad move, has decent priority, and has pretty good range. It's not that hard to shieldgrab, but it depends on your opponent. Don't become predictable with this move.

Variations

If you want more damage and knockback at 14%, press A or B close to the opponent. However, some characters can shieldgrab you before you Norris them (D3). If you want 10%, then use it at any time with a reasonable length away from you opponent. Lastly, you can get 12% in between the other two percents. The timing is important though.

Diddy Hump

Personal View:

The Diddy Hump (DH for short) is a lot more useful then the Norris. It does 10% or 15%, and it goes well with combos and techniques (explained later). The DH is great.

Variations

The DH can be varied by range, damage, and the height of the jump of the grab release. Here's how:

Range

Similar to your bananas, Diddy can change the range of his DH by how hard you flick the controller. Go ahead, go into Training Mode and try it! It makes as difference, and it's great to make your DH unpredictable. However, the range of actual attack is lower; but you can follow this up jabs, grabs, etc. Explained later.

Damage

DHGR

The DHGR stands for Diddy Hump Grab Release. These are fundamental for DH spikes. I'll explain combos and followups soon.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Sh...shouldn't you come up with something and post it rather than coming here and asking others to write a thread you want to make...?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
lol well heres a couple things you can add.
The DHGR of course. But try talking about the different options you have outve a Diddy Hump (basic but just for the sake of completeness, I would add it). Also, the technique where you end with virtually no lag after The Norris or a DH to jump/attack by ADing before you hit the ground. And then I just learned this recently but you can use it when trying to survive a hit with horizontal knockback with no midair jump. You Bair> FF> to Forward B (you would normally jump here). And then the obvious use for mindgames and aerial movement. I would also add that you can smash forward B. I seriously didnt know before that there was difference between tilting and smashing so you could probably elaborate on that for others.

EDIT: Almost forgot something. When youve used you double jump already, you can ForwardB when youre very close to the ground but still in the air. You gain your second jump back and will be able to jump before landing IF you dont go into The Norris. It has to be low enough so that during the beginning of the monkey flip, he touches the ground (Diddy goes down before flipping forward during the opening animation of the monkey flip.)

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Also you say the DH is spike which is misleading. You should describe the DHGR a little more instead of just saying its a spike.

Top Bottom