• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Momentum Reversal?

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
Edit: AND I'VE JUST LEARNED IT'S ALREADY A THING. Okie.

Rather than read through my mumblings about what I didn't understand before, here's a low-quality GIF of this awesome technique.

Basically, momentum reversal, and you should all do it. Works best with Din's and Phantom (as seen above), not so well with Faore's and Naryu's (the former is pretty useless with the teleport, and the latter cancels momentum anyway). It makes for excellent mind games and certainly opens up Zelda's options.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
AND I'VE JUST LEARNED IT'S ALREADY A THING. Okie.

Rather than read through my mumblings about what I didn't understand before, here's a low-quality GIF.

Whoa, I knew it could be reversed, but I didn't know it could be done so well. As far as I had tried. Nice GIF too. ^ ^

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
AND I'VE JUST LEARNED IT'S ALREADY A THING. Okie.

Rather than read through my mumblings about what I didn't understand before, here's a low-quality GIF.

Basically, momentum reversal, and you should all do it. Works best with Din's and Phantom (as seen above), not so well with Faore's and Naryu's (the former is pretty useless with the teleport, and the latter cancels momentum anyway). It makes for excellent mind games and certainly opens up Zelda's options.
Now that's some fancy Phantoming. I should probably learn to do B-Reverses consistently, rather than on accident lol.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Now is this the same as the 'B-Sticking' that was in Brawl? Or is this performed in another way?

Torisuna

Smash Rookie
Now is this the same as the 'B-Sticking' that was in Brawl? Or is this performed in another way?
Well Yes in a sense it is. Normally(Speaking in the case of Zeldas phantom in question) you would if im not mistaken do this attack by hitting down-B(special) and on the same frame hit the opposite direction in which you are traveling and you should charge phantom and had turned around with your momentum now the other way. You can simulate this with your method mentioned by mapping the special moves to the C-stick and then to do that you will just be traveling in air one way and then on the c-stick hit the opposite direction and it should yield similar results. So Short the answer is yes lol. Sorry to ramble on :p

Eulette

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2337-3444-8461
I don't know if it has already been said but you can Pseudo Recoil Special it too. Like if you input Down-Left-Right or Down-Right-Left very fast (At least on the 3ds circle pad) you'll throw the phantom but instead of just b-reversing you'll throw the phantom forward while you go backwards and facing forward, I think that's closer to a Recoil Special.
It also works with the Dins and it kinda looks like the wavebounced Dins of Brawl (The input is jump forward b-reverse and then forward again, very fast again).
I don't have the wii u version, though :c. can you B-stick your specials like in brawl?
Edit: Ooops, forgot to mention for the phantom, you also have to be jumping forward.

Last edited:

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
I don't know if it has already been said but you can Pseudo Recoil Special it too. Like if you input Down-Left-Right or Down-Right-Left very fast (At least on the 3ds circle pad) you'll throw the phantom but instead of just b-reversing you'll throw the phantom forward while you go backwards and facing forward, I think that's closer to a Recoil Special.
It also works with the Dins and it kinda looks like the wavebounced Dins of Brawl (The input is jump forward b-reverse and then forward again, very fast again).
I don't have the wii u version, though :c. can you B-stick your specials like in brawl?
Edit: Ooops, forgot to mention for the phantom, you also have to be jumping forward.
Ooh! Need to look into this, it certainly has potential for aiding our neutral game.

Last edited:

Torisuna

Smash Rookie
Yes you can still B-stick in Wii U like brawl. I dunno if its just me and a GC controller but Im having a heck of a time doing the method you described :( lol

Torisuna

Smash Rookie
Ooh! Need to look into this, it certainly has potential for aiding our neutral game.
I find it easy to do a momentum pivot with phantom if you Activate down-B and at that moment quarter circle the opposite way. Works 90% of the time with me. Surprises people in mix ups.

Eulette

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2337-3444-8461
Mmmm, when I do it on the 3ds I do the quarter circle motion backward and then instantly hit forward, if you take too long hitting forward you do a B-Reverse, maybe the circle pad makes it easier :v. Maybe you can try it at 1/4th speed? It's kind of hard to pull off at first but after you get the timing (Jump forward,B-Reverse and Instantly Forward again) it becomes easier, I actualy have more troubles doing just a B-Reversal because of the habit :v
But if you don't care about retreating Fair, B-Sticking is probably the best option since doing Recoil Dins with the circle pad is kind of hard, and you don't get as much momentum (The timing is so strict too @_@)

Torisuna

Smash Rookie
Mmmm, when I do it on the 3ds I do the quarter circle motion backward and then instantly hit forward, if you take too long hitting forward you do a B-Reverse, maybe the circle pad makes it easier :v. Maybe you can try it at 1/4th speed? It's kind of hard to pull off at first but after you get the timing (Jump forward,B-Reverse and Instantly Forward again) it becomes easier, I actualy have more troubles doing just a B-Reversal because of the habit :v
But if you don't care about retreating Fair, B-Sticking is probably the best option since doing Recoil Dins with the circle pad is kind of hard, and you don't get as much momentum (The timing is so strict too @_@)
I ended up gettting it down. Just have to be quick. The 3ds makes it easier. But its doable on Wii U. That and B-sticking seems to odd for me. I am to accustomed to playing with my right hand clawed. So I need my c-stick smashes lol.

Top Bottom