• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MMGS: Defeat the Chain Grab

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Link to original post: [drupal=1046]MMGS: Defeat the Chain Grab[/drupal]

So you're going up against a DDD, a Falco, an IC, etc. You already know the rule, "Don't get grabbed."

But alas, you're only human, and you get grabbed. And grabbed again. And again. And again. That is called a chaingrab (CG for short). It is said that in Brawl, CGs are very easy to perform as opposed to those in Melee, so you get grabbed and you take a ton of unnecessary damage... or do you? Well, MMGS can defeat the CG. Here's how:

First off, let's do a little exercise: Don't think about balloons.

But guess what? You were thinking about balloons.

The reason you thought about balloons even though I told you not to is because when you introduce a negative of a statement, the positive compliment of that statement is always thought of. Just like when your parents tell you, "Don't even think about touching those cookies!" But you end up thinking about touching (and eating) the cookies anyway.

So let's apply this factoid for defeating the CG. When you are being victimizes by a CG, you tell the opponent, "You are not going to mess up the chaingrab." Realize that there is a difference between "You are perform the chaingrab perfectly," and "You are not going to mess up the chaingrab." In the first statement, you don't introduce the negative, so the only thing that they think of is perfect execution of the CG. In the second statement, "You are NOT going to mess up the chaingrab," you introduce the negative NOT. Because of that, subconsciously they apply the positive compliment of that statement, "You are going to mess up the chaingrab." The subconscious spills into their conscious, and they mess up the chaingrab, thus allowing you to counter accordingly.

Lather, rinse, repeat, profit. Soon, they'll stop using the CG, because it's not profitting them like it used to, and since that was the main part of their game, they'll probably lose the match because they don't know how to fight without the CG.

Pelikinesis... originator of MMGS... it hasn't changed my game one bit.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
lol.

Good work, Leading Poet of MetamindgameSpam.

My claim to be the originator of MetamindgameSpam is based solely on the fact that I came up with a fancy name for it and then paraded around SWF posting blogs and threads and making a social group, but other people have mentioned that they've thought at least a little of MMGS-like things in part.

Top Bottom