• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mix up help

Boost4u

Smash Cadet
I've noticed that I've been using some moves incredibly frequently while other moves are rarely seeing use with Wario. I need help with mixing up my tactics because I can kind of see myself as predictable 2 minutes in the match. I recorded two 2-stock matches and compiled a list of how frequently I used that move.

The format is: Move - Times used on average - Why

Neutral B - 15 - It feels pretty safe, being able to edge gaurd and catch roles. Bordering on spamming, however.
Side B - 12.5 - I'm okay with the high usage of this move. You know its perks.
Down B - 1 - Take a stock
Up B - 0 - Surprisingly I was never below the stage in those two matches
DThrow - 3.5 - Starts follow ups decently
BThrow - 1 - Throw out of stage
FThrow - 1.5 - Throw out / kill
UThrow - 0 -When is a good time?
Ftilt - 2.5 - A decent move
Dtilt - 2 - used this to start a grab
Utilt - 0 - Feels like there are better options
Fair - 4 - A decent move
Nair - 1.5 - I only use it to break combos or cover my landing
Bair - 1 - Its a kill move, but I always miss it, hence I barely go for it
Dair - 0 - I really need to apply this move. I have seen great Wario players use this alot, but I don't feel as safe using it.
Uair - 1 - A decent move
Fsmash - 1 - Need to time it right
Dsmash - 0.5 - I'm usually moving around and in the air.
Usmash - 0.5 - Don't feel safe using it.
Dash Attack - 2.5 - I see the buff working
Jab(1+2 or 1) - 0.5 - Shouldn't be used much anyway right?

Note: These moves recorded were moves that were intended to or have hit the enemy. Other moves were recorded for getting back on stage.

So with this in mind, I don't know optimal times to use the moves with the red numbers, and the moves with the yellow numbers could also see some more use. Maybe some defensive playstyle tips? I want to tone down on the chomp too. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
F-Tilt is not very safe. D-Tilt is a much safer spacing move that generally leads into things like Grab reliably.

N-Air combos well at lower percents and sets up for follow-ups. It's also good for covering potential airdodges in a juggle situation.

Shorthop B-Air autocancels and is the spacing tool with the greatest amount of range.

D-Throw often just puts the opponent back in neutral, whereas U-Throw does more damage and gives you a chance to juggle/pressure someone in the air.

Some characters can reliably punish Forward-B; not really sure if it's that spammable against anyone if you're using it with the intention to approach the opponent (though jumping off immediately is pretty good).

Rising/retreating F-Air is a really strong spacing tool and is likely my most-used aerial.

Neutral-B is safe and good, but is a lot better when you're mixing in other pokes, such as D-Tilt and F-Air.

That said, the moves used tend to be highly dependent on your opponents; some pokes or edgeguard tools are much better against certain characters/playstyles.

04r

Hyper Edition
NNID
AceinBlack
First off, apply everything Reflex said.

Next: Smash attacks.
Fsmash is very situational as it's laggy and punishable. It's a great kill move but take great care when using it
Dsmash is mostly the same as fsmash, situational, maybe even more than fsmash. Decent for spotdoge punishing.
Upsmash is Wario's best smash attack. Wario's head is invincible while he does this attack, it has good kill power and can punish landings very reliably. Personally, I use it as a punish after conditioning opponents into rolling on the stage(after using Bite to punish all other get up options).

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
Is there a way to cancel the dash into a tilt or smash?
There is no way to cancel the dash attack other than getting hit by something, however if you space the attack so the opponent gets hit by the late sour spot hit box it can put them right behind you with enough stun to true combo into d-smash and faster attacks (half waft).
Edit: sorry, you meant dash, not dash attack

You can cancel dash by shielding, you can also dash and immediately smash attack to shift slightly in that direction. There is also jump cancelled u-smash if you need to move a bit closer to the opponent
If you turn around while running, there is a window where you can input a tilt and slide forward a bit. Reflex has a video showing this - if you haven't seen it I suggest watching it since it can combo into half waft from d-tilt.
Ultimately once you dash you must commit to it until you can shield.

Last edited:

Boost4u

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the input guys. Spacing with Bair has become incredibly useful. I'm picking my throws more wisely, and I reduced my reliance on chomp. I feel like an adequate Wario thank you so much!

Top Bottom