• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Misses old falco, advice on new falco.

Aptera

Smash Cadet
What are new advantages to falco, and what should old falco player focus on to adjust to new falco?

neji49

Smash Cadet
I'll try to help as best as I can, but I'm a bit new so sorry if I get something worng. SHL doesn't work anymore, you have to use SHDL which has trickier timing. You also need to adjust the timing on spiking because his spike has a sweetspot. It's not too much harder, once you get the hang of it, but you will need to adjust that. His dtilt isn't a KOer anymore. He lost all of his shine combos becuase now he throws his reflector in front of him. That's what he lost. On the other hand a gained quite a bit as well. His reflector can be used excellently in conjungtion with SHDL to defend against approaches. It can be used for quick spacing and trips the opponent as well, occasionally. His AAA is a gatlign attack that holds them better and can be comboed with a shine. He isn't a fast faller anymore. His fsmash is much stronger. His bair and nair are pretty good as well(along with dair obviously). The main addition is his chaingrab. He can chaingrab all the characters save five, though some can counter occasionally. He can chaingrab heavies across final destination and can even do a 0-death chaingrab into a spike off the edge. Sorry if you already knew most of this, just trying to help.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
Focus on not using shine every second more like in the classic dair spike combo. This one is obvious, but I kept the habit of pressing it too much for a quick attack.

Start to time the dairs, not start it like "20min before they rock up to the ledge etc"

Get used to the slight change of Fsmash.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Does it even make sense to think of this Falco as a continuation of Melee Falco?

I mean, aside from the name, the spike, side-B, and the f-tilt to some degree... he's so different. I'd even say the weakened u-air and dash attack count as different moves.

So my advice is: Try and strike from your mind everything you know about Falco, because that knowledge will only interfere with your learning. He's as changed as Ness 'tween 64 and Melee.

If you're not sure how you can just start treating him differently (through force of will,etc.), I suppose messing around with his new moves and trying new things a lot could help your mind to start encoding this Falco under a new 'mental heading'.

ellelaby

Smash Apprentice
Focus on racking up damage and getting your opponents to ledges. Chain grabs too.

Racking damage up is very different now. You have to be very patient and use all your opportunities. You also have to use the right moves in the right situations and be very careful not to get knocked around because Falco seems to have a lot of damage knocked up on him.

Top Bottom