• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mindgames

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
OK, so i'm trying to learn how to mix things up, as I am apparently quite predictable. How can Lizardon shake things up to apply better pressure?

ArcPh1r3

Smash Rookie
At the start of the match immediately jump off the stage, that way your opponent will never predict you.
Jokes aside, what exactly are you having trouble with? Is it the neutral?

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
Neutral? What do you mean by that? I have little to no idea how mindgames work.

ArcPh1r3

Smash Rookie
Just, uh, try mixing up what you do in the neutral. If the other player is shielding a lot, go for grabs. If they're grabbing a lot, throw out a jab or a fair or something. Flamethrower works great in neutral if you're not being predictable with it.

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
One of Zard's main problems is that he doesn't have many options in the neutral. Mixing up SH nair, SH fair, and SH flamethrower can help. Also b-reversed rock smash can work against opponents that like to roll behind you. What yo mainly want to do is get the advantage asap though.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
OK so that means the first thing I need to change is to switch from hyper aggressive (which is my modus operandi) to playing defense at times, as well as do stuff to fake out my opponent. Anything else?

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
Also, I have a lot of trouble with mindgames in general because I am only focusing in the immediate moment, meaning I often forget my opponent's trends as well as my own.

_gold_

Smash Master
Unless I see a window of opportunity, I don't approach them. Charizard is a powerhouse, but don't let that get to your head. You have to play the defensive game too. Don't be too overly aggressive. Let them approach you.

Last edited:

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Charizard has no projectiles so anyone with a decent projectile can just sit back and force him to approach
Luckily Flare Blitz helps if your able to get close enough to eat through one of their projectiles and hit them through it.

OT: I like to just hop around and nair, trying to read when they are going to try and run in. Or approaching and trying to space it out so it auto cancels and I'm able to jab to cover myself. Occasionally I'll mix it up with Flamethrower, Fair, or just landing and going for a grab. Rock Smash is also useful if you read an attack coming. I'm also not very good, so I'm not if this is the greatest advice.

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
Luckily Flare Blitz helps if your able to get close enough to eat through one of their projectiles and hit them through it.
If you like eating a delicious, nutritious fsmash, then by all means flare blitz to your hearts content. Assuming their projectile deals less than 14% and doesn't cancel out your flare blitz on the spot.

Charey

Smash Apprentice
If you like eating a delicious, nutritious fsmash, then by all means flare blitz to your hearts content. Assuming their projectile deals less than 14% and doesn't cancel out your flare blitz on the spot.
If you time it right you can get them during the end lag of most projectiles, it is a hard read but it can put a lot of doubt into their zoning if you get it.

ArcPh1r3

Smash Rookie
It's not hard to punish poorly spaced projectiles with a Flare Blitz

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
If you time it right you can get them during the end lag of most projectiles, it is a hard read but it can put a lot of doubt into their zoning if you get it.
That is making a lot of assumptions. First it assumes that the projectile has solid end lag. Then it assumes that the projectile doesn't push the thrower out of range. Then it assumes that either the projectile misses or that Flare Blitz goes through it. Only then, if all of those situations are favorable for Zard, then Flare Blitz will hit.

It's not hard to punish poorly spaced projectiles with a Flare Blitz
I can't think of many situations where a move will have long enough end lag for a character to miss a projectile and get punished by FLARE BLITZ. I mean, I don't play against many projectile users, but all I can really think of would be maybe a Link/TLink bow.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I wasn't saying to Flare Blitz every time someone used a projectile, I was just pointing out that it helped. Link and Toon Link are obviously the two easiest to do this to. But it still works on others, at least for me. Sure if you have a competent player properly spacing their projectiles just randomly trying to Flare Blitz through it is probably going to get you punished, but it can still help.

One thing I like to do against my friend who plays Mario and Luigi is as they start spamming them I'll run up and shield a few. Wait for them to short hop/full hop a fire ball, and try to time it so my Flare Blitz hits them right before they hit the ground so they can't air dodge through it, and don't have enough time to shield it. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in my post, I can see how you would think I was basically saying, "if they use a projectile just flare blitz through it with ease", but that's not what I meant. It's just a tool we can use, if used properly.

I think....

Last edited:

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
I use Dragon Rush, not Flare Blitz. I do, however, know how to time flare blitz to hit an opponent right as he is landing.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
When I don't use Dragon Rush I use Blast Burn. Because I am confident in the art of Ledgebombing. And hype hard punishs.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
What do you mean by that? Who banned customs? I know my local league allows them.
Big tournies like Evo aren't allowing customs so by virtue people think they should stop using them altogether. Sounds kinda dumb honestly.

The fact the DLC characters lack customs by default also is supporting the no custom standard.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
Big tournies like Evo aren't allowing customs so by virtue people think they should stop using them altogether. Sounds kinda dumb honestly.

The fact the DLC characters lack customs by default also is supporting the no custom standard.
I thought that EVO did customs this year, by making a preset list of allowed sets for each character.

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
EVO's done and gone, and p much there won't be another customs tournament til next year IF EVO keeps the same ruleset. Which is unlikely because a lot of people are strongly advocating against customs. If anything, customs will probably just be a side event at EVO if they don't have enough anime games to fill all the side game slots

Top Bottom