• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mii Swordsman: Advanced Techniques Guide

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
This thread is to post findings and techniques that can help the Mii Swordsman become a more viable character in competitive play. Since he is getting no love, I decided to main Mii Swordsman to see just how viable he can become.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I won a day 2 online tourney with the Mii sword fighter against a Rosie. I thought he was pretty good. Now, I'm convinced to say I just lucked out with him. He is, in my opinion, the worst character in the game.

Erm, default side b is an okay recovery.

Last edited:

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
My Mii is a swordsman, and I'm pretty happy with it, I think they are best with more speed, their competitive viableness probably heavily depends on what moveset it has.

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
The Mii swordsman is tough to use but I think the best load out is:
Up-b: Hero's Spin
- this can be used OoS
-quick
-strong knock-back

Side-b: Chakram
- to use against campy opponents
-can be used for mix-ups and starting combos

b: Blurring Blade
- Good range
-strong knock back
-can be used for recovery when charged

down-b: Sword reversal
- I feel like this is one of the best moves in the game for gimping. However it requires a bit of chasing off-stage
-can punish projectiles
--reverses attacks and recoveries
- does 6 dmg, can start combos
*edited

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I prefer Gale Strike over Flurry Stab as GS allows for a great anti keep awards and FS can be blocked.

Now for some Advanced Tricks
If Slow Chakram hits on the ground, then you can grab the opponent and follow up with a down throw to up air.
Also Mii Swordfighter has the better Sliding D-tilt/smash. I think you can use that in neutral.

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
If your opponent has used their mid-air jump off stage, you can hit them with d-air an drag them down, if you can manage, you can also step stool hop off of them to spike them further.
This works well on fighters with low vertical recoveries, such as Bowser, Little Mac, and DK.
This is risky, you may be gimped yourself.

Last edited:

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
Short-hop ->diagonal slow chakram-> F-smash can also work.
Tested on Mario and Bowser. Much easier on Bowser.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Oh, keep in mind my custom move options are 3321, and my Mii is at the midpoint of height and weight. These have also been tested against both a level 9 CPUs and an Ike main
EDIT: The mii's actual height is a bit tall (not max height), and the weight is around a little less than mid I think. But it should still work just the same

FAir Setup:
FAir essentially has little ending lag, so they can be used to set your opponents up with proper spacing. The first two hits especially can setup into either:

a) Grab
b) Jab
c) Short distance Chakram (Hard read)
d) No charge Blurring Blade
e) DTilt
f) counter​

c and d especially rely on slight hesitation your opponent's part. If they commit to an air move when this is properly spaced, you'll be pretty safe with these options. Otherwise, grab, Jab, or DTilt will be your go tos

Jab Setup:
The jab, with its distance is not only decent at poking with ease, but also can setup as well. This is Mii Swordsman's best setup tool. Using either the first or first and second slashes, it opens to a couple of options:

a) Grab/dashing grab (the latter if your second jab doesn't pull your opponent towards you)
b) DTilt
e) Complete Jab combo
f) UTilt (only works if the opponent is pulled towards you
g) FSmash/Dash USmash (Certainly a harder read, but the former is safer when spaced well and your opponent is slow)
h) SH crossover NAir/DAir (The DAir is particularly effective as it multihits, is rather instant in its hitbox activation, and has slight push upon landing)
DThrow combo(?):
As far as I can tell, these do combo below 40%. After Dthrowing your opponent, you have a few options for yourself:

a) UAir
b) Dash USmash (Works only at low percents, and it is better against heavy opponents)
c) Jump back and tech chase with the Chakram
Chakram reads:
When you can catch your opponent with a long distance Chakram while airborne, you're able to force them to react quickly to either double jump or fast fall down. Its at a point like this where you start attacking them with more Chakram or Air attacks. You want your opponents to hesitate with the Chakram around, and it may open up opportunities to run up and Jab setup or Grab.

Your FThrow and DTilt particularly are good to follow with the Chakram, so make use of its ability to be aimed and the range to really mess with your opponents.

N.B. Remember that Setups can be countered, Frame 1 hit, or perfect shielded. However, this requires strict timing on your opponent's part, and mixing it up between all your options will leave them guessing on how to react properly to them.

Anyways, that's all I've got atm. Hopefully these will be of some use to all of you ^^

EDIT:
This one uses the hero spin option for Mii Swordsman

DAir setup:
DAir is a good way to gimp your opponents off stage, but after recent tests with the hero spin, it seems to allow a good setup to it as well. Already the hero spin is a great kill move, but with this, it is really hard to escape unless the opponent doesn't choose to jump immediately or you fast fall with your target towards the end of the DAIr and immediately double jump and up B. It makes your goal now to not to sweet spot the edge if you get this, and just try to take the stock with this setup

Last edited:

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
Oh, keep in mind my custom move options are 3321, and my Mii is at the midpoint of height and weight. These have also been tested against both a level 9 CPUs and an Ike main
EDIT: The mii's actual height is a bit tall (not max height), and the weight is around a little less than mid I think. But it should still work just the same

FAir Setup:
FAir essentially has little ending lag, so they can be used to set your opponents up with proper spacing. The first two hits especially can setup into either:

a) Grab
b) Jab
e) DTilt
f) counter​

The last two especially rely on slight hesitation your opponent's part. If they commit to an air move when this is properly spaced, you'll be pretty safe with these options .

Jab Setup:
The jab, with its distance is not only decent at poking with ease, but also can setup as well. This is Mii Swordsman's best setup tool. Using either the first or first and second slashes, it opens to a couple of options:

a) Grab/dashing grab (the latter if your second jab doesn't pull your opponent towards you)
b) DTilt
e) Complete Jab combo
f) UTilt (only works if the opponent is pulled towards you
g) FSmash/Dash USmash (Certainly a harder read, but the former is safer when spaced well and your opponent is slow)
h) SH crossover NAir/DAir (The DAir is particularly effective as it multihits, is rather instant in its hitbox activation, and has slight push upon landing)
DThrow combo(?):
As far as I can tell, these do combo below 40%. After Dthrowing your opponent, you have a few options for yourself:

a) UAir
b) Dash USmash (Works only at low percents, and it is better against heavy opponents)
c) Jump back and tech chase with the Chakram
Chakram reads:
When you can catch your opponent with a long distance Chakram while airborne, you're able to force them to react quickly to either double jump or fast fall down. Its at a point like this where you start attacking them with more Chakram or Air attacks. You want your opponents to hesitate with the Chakram around, and it may open up opportunities to run up and Jab setup or Grab.

Your FThrow and DTilt particularly are good to follow with the Chakram, so make use of its ability to be aimed and the range to really mess with your opponents.

N.B. Remember that Setups can be countered, Frame 1 hit, or perfect shielded. However, this requires strict timing on your opponent's part, and mixing it up between all your options will leave them guessing on how to react properly to them.

Anyways, that's all I've got atm. Hopefully these will be of some use to all of you ^^
That was a well of helpful information, thanks for the huge post. Keep 'em coming lol ^_^

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
That was a well of helpful information, thanks for the huge post. Keep 'em coming lol ^_^
I'll contribute however I can dude xD Just the respect of one swordsman to another

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I wouldn't call it a note-worthy AT or anything, but you can walk or run-off the ledge & snap the ledge with Rainbow Reversal Slash. The cape effect won't happen but it's nice for when you wanna go for ledge-trumps by using D-air or getting on the stage & using D-smash from the front or back (preferably back since it's stronger).

Sir Lonk

Smash Rookie
I personally prefer to use Gale Strike over blurring blade, due to its knock up and windbox. I've also found that you can jab cancel similar to link and link iterations into hero's spin which can be an effective combo to kill with.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
I personally prefer to use Gale Strike over blurring blade, due to its knock up and windbox. I've also found that you can jab cancel similar to link and link iterations into hero's spin which can be an effective combo to kill with.
yeah, I had not thought about the up b moves to link with the jab (even the other b moves still work rather well to varying degree). Blurring blade is my preference when it comes to the setup, since it is also a kill move and works a little better to catch opponents trying to jump out of the setup

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I recently noticed that, if Mii Swordfighter skids out of a full run near the edge of a platform (that can be grabbed or otherwise), then throwing a Shuriken of Light will cause him to fall off the ledge. i don't know what practical use this might have, but what I have noticed is that it allows Swordfighter to throw a shuriken much more level to the platform than if he had simply fallen off and then thrown one. What's also interesting is that it can occur at any point during the skid, so you can do it almost immediately after reaching the edge, or you can wait a split second and then throw the shuriken and it'll still cause Swordfighter to drop down.

If people are interested in a video I can upload one.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223

I apologize for the 3DS potato quality, but you can see me dropping while throwing the SoL All it takes is performing the SoL at the ledge out of a run. You can also see me do it a few times after a short skid. To correct my previous post, you can't do it throughotu the skid, but you still have a fairly large window to perform it.

I also found that the skid from a full run lets you do that boosted Hero Spin much more reliably. While you can't angle it as a result, it also means you can never accidentally do a frame-perfect fall off the ledge and die.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Potato quality was doable. Boosting Spin was a nice bonus! Thanks for delivering.

Jopeja

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jopeja
Hey, folks. I may be new to this thread, but I'm not new to the Mii Swordfighter. I've been looking around the threads and I've not seen any mention of these two locks, so I thought I'd post 'em here. These aren't even listed in MySmashCorner's Jab Lock video lol.
If this is already common knowledge, then I apologize for giving you information you already know.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Hey, folks. I may be new to this thread, but I'm not new to the Mii Swordfighter. I've been looking around the threads and I've not seen any mention of these two locks, so I thought I'd post 'em here. These aren't even listed in MySmashCorner's Jab Lock video lol.
If this is already common knowledge, then I apologize for giving you information you already know.

most people already knew abut this but its still nice to keep it documented

Top Bottom