• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mii Fighters seem to borrow moves from other fighters (this is not a bad thing)

How do you feel about Super Smash Brothers' first "mixed" clones?

• It's just as bad as having normal "clones."

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
What struck me immediately is that the various Mii FIghters (Brawlers, Swordsman and Gunners) appear to borrow heavily from other fighters. I am not here to complain about it, I am here to point out the moves I see.

Miis do seem to be partial clones, however, as many moves shown belong to other fighters. As with any clone, the properties of said moves are likely a little different. It also seems that some moves were made solely for them (or are cloned from unannounced characters). To those of you who think three movesets for these characters is too much (taking away chances for other characters to be playable), fear not! For few of their moves are their own. They also appear to be amalgam clones, borrowing moves from many fighters rather than one, so I think that's part of the reason I'm okay with this.

Video breakdown: http://youtu.be/-VyUi4_NsK4
- 0:52 Mii Brawler performs one of its Side Specials, a dashing knee attack, followed by one of his Down Specials, a barrage of quick kicks, and ended with one of his Standard Specials, a powerful upward punch. The Side Special resembles Captain Falcon's/Zamus' Knee Attack with some new effects. The Down Special is Fox's Combo with new effects. And the Standard Special appears to be quite similar to Mario's Up Tilt.
- 0:59 Mii Gunner uses Samus' Down Tilt.
- 1:01 Mii Gunner performs a jumping upward barrage of lazer blasts, similar, in animation, to Megaman's Up Air. The projectiles are very different.
- 1:05 Mii Brawler performs an attack that hits one both sides kicking behind itself and punching in front of itself. This is Wii Fit Trainer's Down Smash.
- 1:07 Mii Swordsman performs a triple slash overhead in a fashion very similar to Link's Up Smash. Looks faster, though.
- 1:12 Mii Brawler performs another version of its Side Special, a flaming kick. This move is similar to Falcon Kick, but uses the same effects as Charizard's Flare Blitz move.
- 1:15 Mii Brawler performs a variant of its Down Special which is visually similar to Sonic's Down Air.
- 1:41 Mii Swordsman uses Ike's Down Throw
- 1:52 Mii Gunner uses Samus' Charge Shot while a second Mii Gunner uses Samus' Missles. Immediately after, the second Gunner fires an explosive that works similarly to Sheik's Burst Grenades.

Pic Breakdown:
This pic shows the variants of Mii Brawler's Special moves.
- Standard Special option 1 & option 3 seem unique, while option 2 appears similar to Mario's Up Tilt (as I mentioned before).
- I already discussed Side Special option 1 & option 2. Option 1 looks like Captain Falcon's/Zamus' Knee of Justice and option 2 looks like Falcon Kick with Charizard's Flare Blitz effects). Option 3 looks visually similar to one of Donkey Kong's aerials (the Mii's hands even increase in size), though I'm not sure which.
- Up Special option 2 looks unique. Option 1 looks similar to Sheik's Bouncing Fish. Option 3 looks similar to Pit's Upperdash Arm (the attack even appears to extend beyond the Mii's fist with circular energy, a shape much like the Upperdash Arm itself).
- Down Special option 1 seems unique. Option 2 & option 3 appear to be based on Sonic's Down Air and Fox's Combo respectively.
This pic shows what is a Mii Brawler clearly using Fox's Up Smash.
This pic of Mii Swordsman showing off some Special moves show what appears to be Greninja's Water Shuriken recolored yellow. The Chakram attacks seems unique. The Mii Swordsman using "Gale Slices" is in a pose strikingly similar to Link's Side Smash.
This pic shows the Mii Gunner's Side Smash (notable for long range). While not cloned from any existing fighter, the move's projectiles are a recolored version of the Dark Samus Assist Trophy's rapid fire attack.

Other:
- During the Reggie V. Iwata Mii battle, Iwata's Mii Swordsman use a counter very similar to Marth's/Ike's.

Did anyone notice anything I've missed?

Last edited:

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I'm too lazy to look for things I noticed, but I can say for sure that I ABSOLUTLY agree with you.

Some users complained about Miis "taking 3 spots" (when will we stop with that spot thing that never existed? it's extremely stupid) when clearly almost all of their animations are recycled.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Some users complained about Miis "taking 3 spots" (when will we stop with that spot thing that never existed? it's extremely stupid) when clearly almost all of their animations are recycled.
Agreed. Plus their models are extremely simple. Mii's probably took about as much effort as G&W to make and that ain't much.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Gunner Mii looks like a rejected Megaman design than stole Samus' moves, Swordmaster Mii has Link's moves and Brawler Mii has Mario's and Captain Falcon's moves.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I voted for the first option. I didn't even notice any during the trailer except for Samus's down tilt. I think it's alright if they have many different characters' moves, would be upset if they were a clone of just one character for each type.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TailisuTheTen
3DS FC
3566-1548-8575
I guess these recycled moves the mii seems to have makes it likely that the developers didn't spent three unique fighters worth of moveset into three mii style as people think.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Gunner Mii in my opinion looks better then megaman.

Megaman moves so slow and clunky and can't even spam projectiles(tried in the demo and couldn't spam).

Gunner Mii looks so awesome and has even more projectiles then Megaman! :D

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Gunner Mii in my opinion looks better then megaman.

Megaman moves so slow and clunky and can't even spam projectiles(tried in the demo and couldn't spam).

Gunner Mii looks so awesome and has even more projectiles then Megaman! :D
I doubt that. Megaman has his Side Special, Down Special, Standard Special, the pellets which take up three separate moves (Combo, Neutral Air, "Walking Attack"), Up Aerial, Down Aerial and his Side Smash. So, that's 9 projectile moves.
Mii Gunner has 4, (I think the rapid fire shot they use is a special which can be aimed upward and used in Air). We also just haven't seen enough of their moves to say that.
I'm glad you found Megaman was discouraging your urge to spam. Spamming isn't good. Don't be that guy.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
I doubt that. Megaman has his Side Special, Down Special, Standard Special, the pellets which take up three separate moves (Combo, Neutral Air, "Walking Attack"), Up Aerial, Down Aerial and his Side Smash. So, that's 9 projectile moves.
Mii Gunner has 4, (I think the rapid fire shot they use is a special which can be aimed upward and used in Air). We also just haven't seen enough of their moves to say that.
I'm glad you found Megaman was discouraging your urge to spam. Spamming isn't good. Don't be that guy.
Megaman has a lot of projectiles but the problem is they are all very slow and very laggy. I would think he'd be a campy character but how is one suppose to camp if he's slow and shoots laggy projectiles? Tried him in the demo and he just was dissapointing to play as.

Spamming is a legit strategy. Many competitive players use it. Just megaman as ironic as it is isn't very good at it. Guess I'll use Palutena, Mii Gunner and ToonLink INsted.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Perhaps your definition of spamming and mine are different. I'm thinking of spamming in a noobish manner, not in a manner that is actually effective.

Hmm, I didn't find Megaman's projectiles too slow, but I wasn't trying to use them as much, perhaps.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Personallii, I'd think of Miis as their own entitiis entirelii. Mixed clones? What are those?:4pacman:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I like the Mii Fighters and I think they're very unique, but I went with "worse than normal clones". The thing I like about straight clones is that if I like a character's moveset, but I dislike their style, I can just use the clone. I always liked Marth's sword attacks, but I didn't like his fallspeed or his whole "tip = strength" mechanic, then I tried Roy and he was PERFECT for me. That's just one example.

Mii's don't appear to have this benefit by borrowing moves from many characters. Instead, they come across as something else entirely. If I could vote for two options I'd also pick "Can we even call them clones?"

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Honestly it's perfect for Miis.

Having them be an amalgamation of moves found across other Smash fighters of that archetype not only fits Miis, being non-specific avatars, but probably made them much less of a pain in the ass to develop and were less of a drain on other, actual characters.

In other words, having them be a melting pot of existing moves makes perfect sense and is much better than having them just be a Link or Samus clone.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I voted for the last option. After all , most of the borrowed special moves we know are from other games - 5 out of 12 of the Brawler's attacks were ripped straight from Street Fighter. I don't think we can exactly call that cloning.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
And if the other characters are clones of the Miis?

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel as though it is worse than having traditional clone characters because; at the very least, the clone character is a prominent Nintendo character that is not a detriment to the development of the game. Albeit, the borrowed moves bother me less than the borrowed taunt(s).

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I feel as though it is worse than having traditional clone characters because; at the very least, the clone character is a prominent Nintendo character that is not a detriment to the development of the game. Albeit, the borrowed moves bother me less than the borrowed taunt(s).
(lucarioborrowsthesametaubtcoughcough)

I hope we'll be able to change the taunts and entrances. I don't want my less serious characters to be posing like hardcore martial artists.

Top Bottom