• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mii Equipment Statistics Analysis

MatThePhat

Smash Rookie
Howdy group,

We've had a lot of DLC mii outfits come to our game, and it led me to start asking questions about how the mii equipment actually affects how the miis play. I don't have a capture card, and I don't go down counting frame by frame, but I hope to provide some basic outlines of their capabilities and how the stats affect them.

Speaking of which, here are a couple links about how Miis are affected by their weight and height:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2krzfc/mii_weights_analysis_1st_draft/
http://smashboards.com/threads/any-word-on-stat-changes-with-size.368726/

This is a multi-part analysis. Questions I hope to answer or discuss by the end include but are not limited to:
  1. What are 'functional limits' of the equipment stats on the mii fighters before they simply become too powerful to be used, either competitively or for fun, with normal characters? (no hacked super saiyan mii fighters here!)
  2. What stats would make each "Mii outfit character" closest to their actual statistics in a Smash context? (For instance, what speed would a Chrom character actually have?)
  3. How is the stat point effect calculated? (for instance, how much percentage increase in surviviability does a single Defense point actually confer?)
  4. What is a "fair" way to add equipment powers to a character? What should their "cost" (in points) be per power? Which ones are just too powerful to be used except for joking around?
  5. What are the statistical differences between the Mii Brawler, Swordfighter, and Gunner?
  6. Do negative statistics have the same effect as positive statistics but in reverse?

For Part 1, I will be answering question 1. My goal is to find out how strong I can make a mii without making it exceed the domain values of the canon smash characters. My philosophy is that Sonic should, unless there is a very good reason, always be the "fastest thing alive". It also gives a base point for developing miis in general when one knows how strong they will actually be in relation to the canon characters:

Outline:

I have determined the "limits" on mii equipment for the three types of Statistics (Defense, Speed, Attack) through specific tests that gauge the charged f-smash, vertical throw survivability, and running speed respectively for each type of mii (Brawler, Swordfighter, Gunner). These tests were conducted in comparison with the characters that are currently the leaders in their respective categories.

Unfortunately, I didn't have enough bonuses to match every type of Mii with every canon character in every category. In cases where my stat bonuses did not allow the mii fighter type to actually match the canon character, I got as close as possible and noted the difference.

1. Defense Tests:
I tweaked a Short-Fat and Tall-Fat Mii's Defense statistic (both were functionally equivalent) until they were able to survive MewTwo's up-throw at the same percentage that Gannnondorf, the heaviest character, is.
The test took place on Omega Onett stage.
Gannondorf: Died at 144%
Mii Brawler: Died at 144% with 8 Defense
Mii Swordfighter: Died at 144% with 12 Defense
Mii Gunner: Died at 144% with 18 Defense

2. Speed Tests:
I tweaked a Short-Thin Mii's Speed statistic until they were able to run at the same speed as Sonic, the fastest character.
The test took place on the Eldin Bridge.
Mii Brawler: 90 Speed made him equal to Sonic
Mii Swordfighter: 137 Speed made him equal to Sonic
Mii Gunner: 182 Speed was my max and it made him very close, but not equal, in speed to Sonic

3. Attack Tests:
I tweaked the Tall-Fat Mii's Attack statistic until they were able to kill Gannondorf with a f-smash at the same percentage that King Dedede kills him. I chose King Dedede because according to what I've seen online he has the strongest f-smash in the game.
The test took place on Omega Onett stage at Gannondorf's starting location with fully charged f-smashes.
King Dedede: Killed Gannondorf at 23%
Mii Brawler: Killed Gannondorf at 23% with Attack 175
Mii Swordfighter: Killed Gannondorf at 43% with Attack 175
Mii Gunner: Killed Gannondorf at 68% with Attack 130

TL:DR
  • The maximum Defense bonus you can add to a Brawler Mii (the naturally heaviest type) before it becomes heavier than Gannondorf is 8
  • The maximum Speed bonus you can add to a Short-Thin Brawler Mii (the naturally fastest type) before it becomes faster than Sonic is 90
  • The maximum Attack bonus you can add to a Tall-Fat Brawler Mii (the naturally strongest type) before it becomes stronger than Dedede is 175
Note, this list is lacking in a lot of ways. For instance, what about maximum walking speed? Up smash? etc. If people find interesting stuff about the mii fighters, please post :).

In the next part, I will be charting the Attack, Defense, and Agility of various DLC characters with similar tests to match them with their closest canon character counterpart (Chrom --> Lucina, Dunban --> Shulk, Akira --> Ryu, etc) with suggestions on how far each Stat should be tweaked from the canon character to better reflect their own identity.

Top Bottom