• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Micromanagement?

PacStar

Smash Rookie
Hi guys! I'm new to the boards and I'm thinking about maining pacman.

But I have one question...just how much micromanagement does pacman require? I keep hearing that he requires the most micromanagement in the cast but I don't really see it.

Sure he has a lot of options and tools, but I don't think he actively has to manage the details of every last tool every waking second in a match.

What do you guys think?

verbatim

Smash Ace
You can do very well with Pacman's base options, but there's certainly a wide variety of things to learn if you're looking to improve.

Pacman definitely has the most options at any given point and time out of the entire cast, and every Pacman is still learning stuff because it's not practical or possible to learn all of them and be ready to use them at a moment's notice. If you spread yourself too thin and prioritize learning more things before getting experience with what you know you won't find much success competitively.

What successful players do is develop their own specific combination of techniques and combo's to use as their base style of play. This is generally why people say that "no two Pacman's play alike".

Pacman benefits greatly from this because you can change and craft your toolkit to deal with any character in the game. This kind of "development" is why opinion on the Pacman-Rosa matchup has moved from Ness level to directly even.

The downside of this is that most matchups play incredibly different, whereas every other character in the game has a few set of core options that works on everyone.

Pacman has some very strong options himself, but there are to play around them, and players need to use their advanced techniques to effectively handle strong counterplay.

I've been kicking around the idea of making a "Pacman Starter Kit" going over all of his fundamental options, as well as his fundamentals and branching off points for learning specific advanced tech. May look into in the near future.

PacStar

Smash Rookie
You can do very well with Pacman's base options, but there's certainly a wide variety of things to learn if you're looking to improve.

Pacman definitely has the most options at any given point and time out of the entire cast, and every Pacman is still learning stuff because it's not practical or possible to learn all of them and be ready to use them at a moment's notice. If you spread yourself too thin and prioritize learning more things before getting experience with what you know you won't find much success competitively.

What successful players do is develop their own specific combination of techniques and combo's to use as their base style of play. This is generally why people say that "no two Pacman's play alike".

Pacman benefits greatly from this because you can change and craft your toolkit to deal with any character in the game. This kind of "development" is why opinion on the Pacman-Rosa matchup has moved from Ness level to directly even.

The downside of this is that most matchups play incredibly different, whereas every other character in the game has a few set of core options that works on everyone.

Pacman has some very strong options himself, but there are to play around them, and players need to use their advanced techniques to effectively handle strong counterplay.

I've been kicking around the idea of making a "Pacman Starter Kit" going over all of his fundamental options, as well as his fundamentals and branching off points for learning specific advanced tech. May look into in the near future.
Oh I completely understand the fact that pacman has a ton of options at his disposal that the player can weild...

However, doesn't that mean the pacman player has to have creative mind and great adaptability rather than the ability to micromanage?

verbatim

Smash Ace
Oh I completely understand the fact that pacman has a ton of options at his disposal that the player can weild...

However, doesn't that mean the pacman player has to have creative mind and great adaptability rather than the ability to micromanage?
I think adaptability is the only real important one of those at first, then creativity starts becoming important as you become REALLY good and start winning tournaments.

I don't think Pacman has to micromanage much. You have to keep track of how many bounces the trampoline has taken when it's out, what level of charge your fruit has, and when the hydrant water is going to come out.

The only characters that I really think needs strong micromanaging skills in this game are Olimar, since all of his options change significantly depending on his Pikmin order, and Rosa, since Luma is actually incredibly very hard control when desynced.

Top Bottom