• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo's Magnificent Air Dodge

Quantumpen

Smash Apprentice
I haven't seen much discussion of this around the forums, but I use Mewtwo's air dodge a lot -- primarily not for dodging, so I wanted to dedicate a thread to it's approach/mind game usage, and also how to use it for ridiculous punishes. It's a ridiculous move, active on frame 2, first active frame 29, and due to mewtwo's floatiness he can do whatever he wants out of it.

The best part of Mewtwo's air-dodge is the opponent can't actually tell where you're going when you do it. You can sh-air dodge, forward, backwards -- up and then di in one direction, and the opponent will have no idea where you're going to pop up, leaving them to guess.

This sets up a great mixup for you. If you are in mid-range, give Mewtwo's aerial mobility -- you can mix up the following ways:

• Don't move forward much, spaced fair. This beats most attempts to try and "swat you" or punish the air dodge as long as you're not close.
  • Go for a close/spaced u-air, which leads into lots of combos at low percents(it's almost like down-tilt)
  • Air-dodge into/through the enemy, out of air-dodge nair. The height you come out of the short time is exactly the right height to get a 2-hit nair. If you fast fall this nair immediately after the second, you will get the nair + Up-Smash combo no matter how they pop out. You can also consistently get any tilt to true combo from at lower percents, including d-tilt and its many follow ups.
It gets even better though, because...
  • This 2-hit nair is insanely safe. If they shield it you can instantly grab/spot-dodge when you hit the ground, basically no one can punish you even if they block it do to how much you drift and the cross-up (some characters with ultra fast jabs might be able to if you go too deep, but it's hard). Even if you whiff it they pretty much can't punish it.
  • This means the only way to get hit is if they correctly read your position and hit your during the five frames between the end of your invincibility and your faf at 29. This is possible but not easy, especially for some characters -- and requires them to guess where you went during your jump.
This is not totally safe, though I find it extremely useful both for getting damage and getting kills. Do beware of certain situations like Cloud in limit, who can use finishing touch and punish the air-dodge no matter where you are. Still, you can bait this by drifting backwards.

Mewtwo's air-dodge also comes out on frame 2. Frame freaking 2. You can do it out of a jump nearly as fast as you can shield by rolling from jump to shield. Using this to dodge is no harder than spot dodging, and the rewards are just ridiculous. Essentially any move you can sh-air-dodge instead of shield can get you a perfect 2-hit nair, which as mentioned above, is a free up-smash, or a free d-tilt + follow-up depending on percents>

You can punish a lot of moves this way. Mewtwo's FAF out of his air-dodge is 29, and his nair comes out on frame 6 (fair is one frame faster), so that 's 35/34 frames to drift to and land the nair since you have to do it right out of the air-dodge.

This will punish pretty much all successfully dodged grabs, and a large number of slower tilts/specials at a range where you couldn't do so otherwise. In reality you can get this even more often because even the best players won't react perfectly every time.

If anyone else has any other uses for Mewtwo's air-dodge please share!

Last edited:

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I very rarely spotdodge, since SHAD>NAir is such a beautiful dodge/counter. SHAD backwards> FCSB is my favourite punish against enemy dash attacks

Its also a nice thing to use when recovering low, since popping up from below the ledge with DJ AD can put you in a great position to punish laggy edgeguarding moves. mixing this up with DJ NAir will leave them paranoid and not sure whether to edgeguard, shield, or just stay the hell away.

Approaching with SHAD>FAir is also deeply satisfying. Once they are conditioned to shield, switch it up to SHAD>Confusion

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
We refer to this as Phasing on the Mewtwo boards. Are discussion on it was mainly done two months ago.

Also, Please post this in the metagame thread, as it is where discussion like this belongs. I would be more then happy to discuss it there, and even set up a discussion topic for it in the title.

Top Bottom