• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Mewtwo Community Guide (Working towards 2.0!)

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Just screwing around against level 8 bots. It seems Mewtwo's fair can punch through Mario's Fireball and still hit Mario for full damage and knockback. Free Fall N-Air can also be used to force him into a D-tilt, if he rolls in front of you, and if he rolls behind, most of his attacks are avoidable. I wouldn't take my word for granted on N-Air, still messing around, but F-Air can definitely mess up Mario's ability to keep Mewtwo away when Mewtwo decides to get close.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just screwing around against level 8 bots. It seems Mewtwo's fair can punch through Mario's Fireball and still hit Mario for full damage and knockback. Free Fall N-Air can also be used to force him into a D-tilt, if he rolls in front of you, and if he rolls behind, most of his attacks are avoidable. I wouldn't take my word for granted on N-Air, still messing around, but F-Air can definitely mess up Mario's ability to keep Mewtwo away when Mewtwo decides to get close.
That's just general aerial rules, they never stop when they clank unlike grounded moves.

Mario's jumping when you do that fair thing, right? Because normally I use bair to plow through his fireball and get him.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
That's just general aerial rules, they never stop when they clank unlike grounded moves.

Mario's jumping when you do that fair thing, right? Because normally I use bair to plow through his fireball and get him.
Yes, Mario is jumping. B-Air is probably a lot safer and requires less precise timing.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
If I missed it and you've already mentioned it, sorry. But I think we should mention kill setups over here. He has a ton of them.

I think kill setups can be very important for Mewtwo, since if you whiff a kill move like up smash that can mean your stock. So, of course you still want to be safe when you're opponent is at a high percent.

So here are some glorious reads for you.

Jab - Fully Charged Shadow Ball. Really wacky mixup and won't work most of the time due to high start up lag of Shadow Ball, but if your opponent tries to do an attack out of it and if that attack misses, they'll be eating it.
Jab - Down tilt - Dash charged up smash. If they air dodge, which they may be likely to if you've been comboing them for days with down tilt then they might just be a victim of this.
Jab - Fair. If they jump out of jab then they'll be eating this.
Jab - Down tilt - Fully Charged Shadow Ball. Once again, really wacky mixup, but good for surprises, I'd say.
RAR Nair - Up smash. I haven't looked into this one. But there's a part of nair that'll bring them a little bit up that has the perfect angle for up smash.

I'm sure you knew most of these and you probably put some in the thread which I may or may not have noticed, but there's some where I think you didn't know... I guess.

There's more, but I'll just leave it at that. Yeah, this is pretty much almost all Jab, but I think Jab is your main kill setup tool, really.

On another topic, I found some cool mixup combo.

You know how when you do a down tilt to nair, the opponent gets sent forwards or backwards? Well, obviously that's a good opportunity for a back or forward air...

But have you ever tried using a Fully Charged Shadow Ball after the nair?
Honestly I think this is a really good mixup. It surprises your opponents quite well, and, even better, it does like 45 friggin damage. Like, the heck? So I think this could be pretty useful.

(This is kinda off topic, but can you PM me your friend code? I want to play with you sometime.)

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
If I missed it and you've already mentioned it, sorry. But I think we should mention kill setups over here. He has a ton of them.

I think kill setups can be very important for Mewtwo, since if you whiff a kill move like up smash that can mean your stock. So, of course you still want to be safe when you're opponent is at a high percent.

So here are some glorious reads for you.

Jab - Fully Charged Shadow Ball. Really wacky mixup and won't work most of the time due to high start up lag of Shadow Ball, but if your opponent tries to do an attack out of it and if that attack misses, they'll be eating it.
Jab - Grab. Of course we all knew this, but it's nothing to be left out of.
Jab - Up smash. Pretty decent, but it'll get beat out by some things.
Jab - Up tilt - Up smash. Kind of a faster alternative, but harder to pull off and doesn't work on some characters.
Jab - Down tilt - Dash charged up smash. If they air dodge, which they may be likely to if you've been comboing them for days with down tilt then they might just be a victim of this.
Jab - Disable. Pretty decent, but there's some escape options like Jump.
Utilt-Up smash. We all knew this and it's a pretty good one.
Jab - Fair. If they jump out of jab then they'll be eating this.
Jab - Down tilt - Fully Charged Shadow Ball. Once again, really wacky mixup, but good for surprises, I'd say.
RAR Nair - Up smash. I haven't looked into this one. But there's a part of nair that'll bring them a little bit up that has the perfect angle for up smash.

I'm sure you knew most of these and you probably put some in the thread which I may or may not have noticed, but there's some where I think you didn't know... I guess.

There's more, but I'll just leave it at that. Yeah, this is pretty much almost all Jab, but I think Jab is your main kill setup tool, really.

On another topic, I found some cool mixup combo.

You know how when you do a down tilt to nair, the opponent gets sent forwards or backwards? Well, obviously that's a good opportunity for a back or forward air...

But have you ever tried using a Fully Charged Shadow Ball after the nair?
Honestly I think this is a really good mixup. It surprises your opponents quite well, and, even better, it does like 45 friggin damage. Like, the heck? So I think this could be pretty useful.

(This is kinda off topic, but can you PM me your friend code? I want to play with you sometime.)
I will look into Nair-SB stuff. However, Nair-Bair/Fair is a true combo form about 20-40%.

Thanks for the kill set-ups! I hadn't thought about putting this in the guide. I will take yours and any others and put them in on my next update.

My internet sucks sadly, so I can't play online...

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
I will look into Nair-SB stuff. However, Nair-Bair/Fair is a true combo form about 20-40%.

Thanks for the kill set-ups! I hadn't thought about putting this in the guide. I will take yours and any others and put them in on my next update.

My internet sucks sadly, so I can't play online...
You're welcome! I may figure out more as time goes on.

...By the way, I'd like to mention that neutral air can combo into itself from like 0-15%. It's especially useful if you're just carrying them into the air.

I've tried Nair > DJ Nair > Fair on Bowser (he's easy to do combos on and OOS nair works well on him). It's true and does around... Oh, I don't know, 36%? So, yeah. It's hard to do though. So I doubt it's very useful in high level play, but it may find a little niche some time around.

Although, is it possible we can still exchange friend codes so that we can share replays with each other and discuss play styles and stuff like that? If you can, that'd be great.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

You're welcome! I may figure out more as time goes on.

...By the way, I'd like to mention that neutral air can combo into itself from like 0-15%. It's especially useful if you're just carrying them into the air.

I've tried Nair > DJ Nair > Fair on Bowser (he's easy to do combos on and OOS nair works well on him). It's true and does around... Oh, I don't know, 36%? So, yeah. It's hard to do though. So I doubt it's very useful in high level play, but it may find a little niche some time around.

Although, is it possible we can still exchange friend codes so that we can share replays with each other and discuss play styles and stuff like that? If you can, that'd be great.
Ohh, do you have a Wii U? I don't have it for the 3DS.

Sonicninja115

Oh. I suck on the WIi u...
Ahh, that's too bad.

I might be getting better internet soon, so there is the possibility of me uploading some of my matches. I might also be able to upload tech videos, and just offer text explains what I am doing.

420quickscoper 420quickscoper Thanks for looking into the Nair-Nair! I was trying to figure it out the other day an couldn't.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Posting this guide tomorrow!!!

I will still be updating it regularly, adjusting it for the current patch, adding new things and generally improving it.

Here is a list of things to come:

It is not possible to create the mix-up of either LCing or ledge snapping. However, it is possible to ledge snap from above.

To avoid ledge trumps, Mewtwo can do what fox and Falco can in Melee with their side b's. They can Aim their side bs so that they either hit the edge and go onto the stage, or pause at the edge for a second before grabbing the ledge. You can also press down to keep yourself from grabbing the ledge, but that can be dangerous.

Mewtwo can Side B to change his direction while recovering. This allows him to use Bair as well as Uair when recovering to the ledge. Uair is great for catching an opponent very close to the edge, while Bair goes far back.

A-landing options are Bair and Uair, each with a 2 frame window. Still worth learning!

Wall jump

U-Turn stuff

Fair to cancelled SB

Wall-jump for Bair landing

C-stick section

Nair-Nair on R.O.B.

Disable guide

Jab-Step-Utilt-Usmash beats proper DI

turn around with Confusion while recovering to gain access to Bair and Uair

OoS DJ SB, ground

OoS SB, Platform

Dtilt-Uair-Bair, 40-60% doesn't true but good link/chain

Dtilt-Uair-DJ Bair, 60+ doesn't true but good link/chain

Fast fall during Nair to get them out and follow-up

Boost grabbing

Airdodge frame traps

Dtilt-Dair

Dtilt-Dair/Fair 50/50

Kill set-ups. (Post in guide thread)

Nair-SB

Jab-locking guide. Bair/nair set-ups

Moveset analysis additions

Nair KB make it easier to understand

Dsmash hits some people below platforms.

Drop-Wall-jump-B-reverse SB cancelled-JC Usmash and other options

http://puu.sh/lQoQn.gif

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...tagame-discussion.415950/page-6#post-20465532

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...tagame-discussion.415950/page-5#post-20345867

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...tagame-discussion.415950/page-5#post-20430323

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...tagame-discussion.415950/page-5#post-20456842

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Posting this guide tomorrow!!!

I will still be updating it regularly, adjusting it for the current patch, adding new things and generally improving it.

Here is a list of things to come:

It is not possible to create the mix-up of either LCing or ledge snapping. However, it is possible to ledge snap from above.

To avoid ledge trumps, Mewtwo can do what fox and Falco can in Melee with their side b's. They can Aim their side bs so that they either hit the edge and go onto the stage, or pause at the edge for a second before grabbing the ledge. You can also press down to keep yourself from grabbing the ledge, but that can be dangerous.

Mewtwo can Side B to change his direction while recovering. This allows him to use Bair as well as Uair when recovering to the ledge. Uair is great for catching an opponent very close to the edge, while Bair goes far back.

A-landing options are Bair and Uair, each with a 2 frame window. Still worth learning!

Wall jump

U-Turn stuff

Fair to cancelled SB

Wall-jump for Bair landing

C-stick section

Nair-Nair on R.O.B.

Disable guide

Jab-Step-Utilt-Usmash beats proper DI

turn around with Confusion while recovering to gain access to Bair and Uair

OoS DJ SB, ground

OoS SB, Platform

Dtilt-Uair-Bair, 40-60% doesn't true but good link/chain

Dtilt-Uair-DJ Bair, 60+ doesn't true but good link/chain

Fast fall during Nair to get them out and follow-up

Boost grabbing

Airdodge frame traps

Dtilt-Dair

Dtilt-Dair/Fair 50/50

Kill set-ups. (Post in guide thread)

Nair-SB

Jab-locking guide. Bair/nair set-ups

Moveset analysis additions

Nair KB make it easier to understand

Dsmash hits some people below platforms.

Drop-Wall-jump-B-reverse SB cancelled-JC Usmash and other options

http://puu.sh/lQoQn.gif

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...tagame-discussion.415950/page-6#post-20465532

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...tagame-discussion.415950/page-5#post-20345867

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...tagame-discussion.415950/page-5#post-20430323

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...tagame-discussion.415950/page-5#post-20456842
Yay! :3

Good luck!

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Nice thread we have here. Reading through the opening posts, I see that the description for Uair needs updated to reflect 1.1.3.

Dunno if this was mentioned anywhere, but at low percents, Down throw can link to Dash attack.

This is a very situational option, as the whole thing serves to push your opponent away from Mewtwo, creating space. It's also not a lot of damage, though it is more damage than simply using Forward throw. So, at 0% and such, if you land a grab, Down throw to Dash attack to create space and rack up some damage. I think this can be escaped, however.

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
This guide has been extremely helpful for me, as I have decided to pick up Mewtwo recently!

One thing that might be covered more is basic use of the Teleport move, because it had me a little confused for a few days and I wasn't sure why I kept flying to my death in weird directions.

The best way that I understand it, is that when you teleport, mewtwo will move in a perfectly straight line in the direction that you press, but if he runs into a wall or obstacle, that will cause him to curve along the path of whatever he hit.
This means that on a lot of stages, if you are slightly under the stage when you teleport, or if you press the wrong direction a bit, you might get shot off to the side because of the curvature of the bottom of the stage.

Also if you press down to drop from the ledge, then teleport straight back up, the teleport wont ledge snap.

Also I didn't see anything about what seems to be a kill confirm combo in Mewtwo's Utilt to Usmash.
According to the training mode, this is a true combo on several characters that I tried it against, starting around 80-90%. You have to be very close with you hit with the utilt, so they get popped up right above your head.

Sonicninja115

This guide has been extremely helpful for me, as I have decided to pick up Mewtwo recently!

One thing that might be covered more is basic use of the Teleport move, because it had me a little confused for a few days and I wasn't sure why I kept flying to my death in weird directions.

The best way that I understand it, is that when you teleport, mewtwo will move in a perfectly straight line in the direction that you press, but if he runs into a wall or obstacle, that will cause him to curve along the path of whatever he hit.
This means that on a lot of stages, if you are slightly under the stage when you teleport, or if you press the wrong direction a bit, you might get shot off to the side because of the curvature of the bottom of the stage.

Also if you press down to drop from the ledge, then teleport straight back up, the teleport wont ledge snap.

Also I didn't see anything about what seems to be a kill confirm combo in Mewtwo's Utilt to Usmash.
According to the training mode, this is a true combo on several characters that I tried it against, starting around 80-90%. You have to be very close with you hit with the utilt, so they get popped up right above your head.
Utilt-Usmash is a true combo, but add Jab to the equation. Is there a spot where I forget this?

Thanks! I will make sure to specify teleport shenanigans, however, you are missing a piece of the puzzle. What causes these weird angles are actually walls, and to a lesser extent a couple of other factors. Do you remember how they fixed Lylat? They changed the base platform from a wall to a platform. This made it so that the base platform wouldn't steal all of a characters momentum, they also increased the ledge snap size I believe.

So, walls are what cause the super weird angles, though hitting a platform from a distance will cause one as well.

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
Utilt-Usmash is a true combo, but add Jab to the equation. Is there a spot where I forget this?
I believe it was forgotten, as I couldn't find it anywhere. Maybe I'm overlooking though. I did just now see a link to a whole thread about it at the very bottom of the guide though.

Top Bottom