• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metal Blade Combos

Chickenmcdonky

Smash Cadet
I learned pretty early that Metal Blade into grab or MB to Top spin are both pretty decent ways to land cool chains, but it's been working less and less recently. If I attempt it against somebody decent they just mash out a jab to counter my approach and it works every time. Am I just timing it wrong? It's working less and less every day.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I find a combo is have MB as item. Throw it down on their head then as you land mash A. The first attack will be 3 lemons, the first knocking them back next 2 hitting then the next A input throws the MB. And sometimes I follow that up with 3 more lemons.

I can imagine it annoys people greatly.

Chickenmcdonky

Smash Cadet
That's what i've been doing recently, but anybody with decent knowledge about how to deal with projectiles is going to adapt to that fast. If they have a decent shorthop and aerial mobility they're probably going to dodge all of that even if you try to make as unpredictable as possible.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
When it comes to gimping. Metal Blade works well for characters that have multiple jumps, and for halting double jumps.

Two examples:

One: You're fighting Pit. He got launched and he is getting back up with his three jumps. You halt him two times with Metal Blades and he ran out of jumps, so he up b toward the ledge. You read that up b, and then you dair. Which resulted a meteor and a win.

Two: Ness's double jump can reach far. Ness got launched so he double jumps, but you halted it with a Metal Blade. Now he uses PK Thunder. You can Leafstool, or dair Ness during this moment.

Last edited:

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
When you throw a metal blade and your opponents is jabbing every time, start mixing it up by not approaching and instead throw a projectile at them. Crash bombs and Fsmash are good. After doing that a few times they may start hesitating and not jabbing and sometimes you can come in for a grab.

There are times where it's always safe to go in for the grab. When your opponents at high percentage the metal blade lifts them up a little bit giving you time to run in. Also if they were airborn when hit by the blade it's often safe. But you need to be close enough. If you are too far away you shouldn't be trying to run in for a grab at all.

Last edited:

Chickenmcdonky

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the advice. I'm taking a bit of a break from the game though. Got jab locked by a Fox with no hope of escape and got chained like hell before that. Also got insulted and disrespected a lot. Been on a major losing streak with Mega even though I've been trying hard and I've getting treated like a Black sheep on FG for it lately. Been playing friendlies too and doing my best to learn. Can't contain my salt lately though. Need to simmer down and do something else for a few days.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the advice. I'm taking a bit of a break from the game though. Got jab locked by a Fox with no hope of escape and got chained like hell before that. Also got insulted and disrespected a lot. Been on a major losing streak with Mega even though I've been trying hard and I've getting treated like a Black sheep on FG for it lately. Been playing friendlies too and doing my best to learn. Can't contain my salt lately though. Need to simmer down and do something else for a few days.
Dude, before going to for glory with a character as deep as megaman, you should play with more friendly people who are willing yo help you. Send me and inbox and we can play some ditto matches and I can teach you a few things (but not today, I'm at work today haha).
Anyway, I've come with this as metal blade combos:
Full hop over your opponent>z-drop>fastfall>down smash/charged half up smash
short hop over your opponent>z-drop>fastfall>up smash
sliding thumb from jump to b>angled foward down metal blade>utilt/up smash
sliding thumb from jump to b>angled down metal blade>utilt/up smash
and the classic metal blade throw/item, dash instant bair.
I think this are my bnbs, if i remind something later I will post it.

Top Bottom