• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight's Up B - Shuttle Loop Guide... lawl why am I posting this.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
I felt like it.
Posted a long time ago somewhere else, whatevz, help it out if you're so good.

Here is t!mmy's entry on it in his great MK guide:

9% Initial, 12% Gliding Attack

This is a pretty awesome Special. First of all, the initial strike is a
down-to-up sword slash that reaches really high above him quickly (see
picture above). The knockback on the initial hitbox of this attack is
strong enough to KO a highly damaged opponent. Using this out of shield
yields good results since it it quick and gets your opponent away from
you. The sweet spot is easy to hit with, and is pretty much everywhere
in the attack except right behind Meta Knight (6%).

After the first hit, Meta Knight launches himself into the air straight
up at which point he opens his wings and begins an auto Glide. You can
grab the ledge at this point as he begins to dive down, or you can get
some amazing horizontal distance by continuing the Glide.

Additional Techs:
Use Standard Attack, Throw button, or C-stick to attack out of your glide (you will go into FallSpecial).

Jump or Special Attack to cancel the Glide mid-air (you will go into FallSpecial).

Cancel your Glide (Jump or Special Attack) right before landing on the ground to negate landing lag.

Hitting with the "non-sweetspot" of this attack only does 6% damage, but you can get twice the hits in since Meta Knight will hit once initially and then loop around for a second hit.

You can reverse the Shuttle Loop by pushing the control stick in the opposite direction immediately after executing the Up Special.

[my quoting doesn't work well]

There are two different versions of this move.
The "aerial" and "ground" up b's as I call them, vary in knockback, direction of knockback, and [I would think] hitboxes, as well as range.

Aerial up B is basically better for KO's - Ground up b sets up Glide attack better.

Shuttle Loop from the Ground:

The sweetspot here is the very beginning of his ascent straight up - he then loops finishes right side up again in gliding position.

The parts of it that aren't the sweetspot barely hit at all - but it can lead into a "glide attack" after Metaknight is done with the Shuttle loop. The glide attack is actually a decent move, and can kill at 140ish.

Also - the entire Shuttle Loop from the ground hits people up.

Shuttle Loop in the Air:

The "sweetspot" of the aerial up b is pretty much the entire first half of the loop - at the very beginning it has severe knockback, but the entire dang loop has a large amount of evenly spread out knockback. So - it's the aerial up B hits people harder.

The aerial up b also goes a little forward at the beginning of the loop. It has more range than the grounded up b.

This one hits horizontally. Whether it hits your opponent left or right is actually hard to control without practice - I have incorrectly hit people towards the stage when edgeguarding with it too many times. However, if it is landed correctly near the edge, the horizontal knockback is strong enough to kill at around 60-70%. It's also why people should not try to jump at a recovering Metaknight. Making this mistake can result in a lost stock.

Instead of doing simply Shield -> Up B, try jumping just before the up B to get some extra range and horizontal knockback.
If your opponent is right in front of you, maybe use a different move than Up B to knock them back - maybe a rising Dair or Dsmash perhaps (setting up for an aerial up b edgeguard).

Loop Trixies

Edgeguarding/Gimping with Shuttle Loop:

Metaknight's best gimping move is, in my opinion, this. Hitting with the aerial Shuttle Loop while the opponent is near to the side of the screen and off the edge while they are in an easy position is going to be a prime goal when playing Metaknight.
Making it back: If you overshot the ledge, glide upwards a little and then fall back to try to grab the ledge.

Platform Canceling:

The Shuttle Loop cancels after the top of Metaknight’s loop if he lands on a platform.
An easy way to do this is on Smashville’s moving platform since it floats past the central platform.

Edgegrabbing and Shuttle Loop:

Shuttle Loop can grab at the top of the loop and anytime afterwards; this is why you can sweetspot only with proper spacing on some stages like Battlefield. To be honest, I would recommend other recovery options such as manual gliding and Side B (holding up) or Down B.
However, on Final Destination and Lylat Cruise, Metaknight can Shuttle Loop under the "lip" of the edges and not go vertically up, but still grab the edge because the lip prevents the Shuttle Loop from passing the ledge, and he can sweetspot these edges with ease.
On Lylat Cruise especially, if you Shuttle Loop under the lip, you can easily grab the ledge while moving rather strangely.

Norfair Maneuvers:

On Norfair, you can use the looping effect of the Shuttle Loop to go from one edgegrab to grab another higher edge very easily, while threatening your opponent with the high knockback and speed of your attack.

SHOOP DA LOOP

Good luck with this beast of a move.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
interesting that the two attacks appear to actually be to fundamentally different. So now upB out of shield is not quite as cool as it was before... *sigh* one more reason I need to learn to play without tap jump.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Yup, there are two different versions of the move...

Just saying though - ground up B basically won't kill anyone ever. Glide attack might, though.

Chaco

Never Logs In
The ground up B, can kill people but its not as common, but the knockback into edgehogging does the job nicely.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Okay, yeah it might kill at 150ish, but really, aerial up b killing off the side is much easier.

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
Off the side is easier, sure. But the best part of a grounded out-of-shield shuffle loop is that no one expects it, and I've gotta quite a few kills off of it. I'll agree it's not viable until well over 130%, but it's one of my killing options on those who are hard as hell to edgeguard against (Jiggs, MK, ROB).

Not to mention it's decent to throw in against a grenade countering Snake as it doesn't explode the grenade while it's in Snake's hand. More options is always nice since there's so few already.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
I want moar Loop trixies :)

Yes, it's an alright kill at 130+. I also find U tilt to work there too *shrug*

M@v

Subarashii!
A useful trick with the shuttle loop: On a stage with slanted walls below the edge of the stage where you grab(The main stage you'll be playing with this characteristic is Final destination), you can spike with MKs shuttle loop. When they grab the edge, do an aerial shuttle loop on them while they are on the edge. On final destination, they will go flying into the wall, and since its slanted, will go straight down. Do this at a high enough percent, +1 kill for you. It usually isnt that much, especially with a bad recovering character. Dont worry about getting back, if you time it right(which you have a large window), MK will simply grab the edge himself.

Top Bottom