• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight help

MLG Mune

Smash Cadet
My bro plays as metaknight and i, recentently changed from mk to DDD. We have equal skill with MK but i want to main D3. I want to know if theres anything i can do to help my fights vs mk players. Heres a couple vids to help. I have watch'd alot of ROM vids but his strategies dont seem as effective on MK. This is the 4th vid, the one we played last and the one i did the best in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whebkZhrCEg

as u can see, D3 cant air dodge most of mk cuz he hits mutiple times. And MK will pretty much will dodge any combo i can thro at him.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Keep your spacing. Meta knight has attacks that don't go very far.

Use more Ftilt and waddle dees to force him to come to you. I noticed that you did best when you had two Dees in between you and him, try to keep that somewhat consistent. When he does get close, shield grab/ftilt/dtilt him. Or shield then do one of the latter, ftilt or dtilt.

Also, you threw him upward a lot, then didn't follow up with a uair a majority of the time. That's like the best time to use it, because he can't airdodge it, due to all the hits. If he tries to DI, THEN that's where you use your fair/bair.

Throw in your fsmash and J hammer occasionally. Just because they're slow, doesn't mean you shouldn't use them, it just means you need to know when. They're best used near the edge.

Also, watch some Dedede vs Meta Knight matches, and see what other people do different.

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
learn to cancel Up-B at the right times. you got ***** in every single video in one way or another cuz you abuse Up-B and get punished. really, in general, you are unbelievably predictable in every situation. it's so obvious when he comes in that you are going to try to roll and grab to Uthrow, if that was me you would never get the grab (also, learn to Dthrow and Uthrow into combos; your Ftilt, Dair and Uair all out prioritize and out range his so keep the fight in the air vertically as much as possible till later %s - getting as many hits as possible on MK is key to winning, otherwise he is definitely going to combo you and you definitely will lose).

at long range, you Wdee toss, which is what you're supposed to do, but it's not a good move to do once he is near sweet spot range, because it isn't that good of a move, just something to rack up damage when there's no other way. just don't bother doing it when he is approaching you and is less than half way across the stage because seeing the vids, he knows how to air dodge it and punish you. you also Ftilt way too close range. When MK gets that close, Dtilt.

you might also wanna try the Jet Hammer, especially when you get to around 135-150% because it won't hurt you beyond 150% anyway and it's his fastest KO move easily. this is mostly about learning all of his moves and using them properly. using like 4-5 moves over and over does NOT work with Dedede, it's the main reason why you are taking so long to kill a light character (hit decay). you have to use all of your moves, and they are all good, so idk why you aren't. you hardly ever Dtilt, dash attack or use any smash at all. do it more.

and against your little dodge happy friend, jab combos are full of win. i don't think you jab comboed at all, in any video. just remember that you can hold it out as long as you want to by holding A.

S2026

Smash Rookie
I noticed the Up-B problem to. I was doing awhile you have to learn when to fake up out, when to fall down, and when to cancel. Overall your not bad.

MLG Mune

Smash Cadet
Smashes are too slow, he'll most likely dodge it or block it. He IS my twin bro so its hard to not be predictable. Hes also one of the best MK's i have seen. If i wanted to beat him i could just play as MK as well. The only kill moves i see usefull is dtilt, bthrow. i get the occasional bair and utilt but its all mind games if i can hit it on him. U can see sometimes he plays so safe that i cant Shield grab his fAir.
i do agree with the up-b. I figured out last night its faster to just cancel it then to just like it happen.
thanks for the tip.

MLG Masa

Smash Cadet
Keep your spacing. Meta knight has attacks that don't go very far.

Also, you threw him upward a lot, then didn't follow up with a uair a majority of the time. That's like the best time to use it, because he can't airdodge it, due to all the hits. If he tries to DI, THEN that's where you use your fair/bair.
I thought that he does try to keep his distance, maybe he didnt show it in the vids. But a mach tornado spam will beat DDD f-tilt and the dudes he throws so if someone were to try and do that then tornadoes will come. Only have enough shield to block one completely.

Up-tilt can be air dodged especially when you air-dodge down away from the hammer. When I am in the air I am looking for the next move the the opponent is going to do which is most likely going to be an air.

Oh and when using the jet-hammer i dont know if you want him to walk around with it charged or something but I usually get distance and keep it when I see it.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
I thought that he does try to keep his distance, maybe he didnt show it in the vids. But a mach tornado spam will beat DDD f-tilt and the dudes he throws so if someone were to try and do that then tornadoes will come. Only have enough shield to block one completely.

Up-tilt can be air dodged especially when you air-dodge down away from the hammer. When I am in the air I am looking for the next move the the opponent is going to do which is most likely going to be an air.

Oh and when using the jet-hammer i dont know if you want him to walk around with it charged or something but I usually get distance and keep it when I see it.
From what I saw in the videos, he'd space himself, but he'd let you come right up and attack him. Waddle Dees are good, but when MK is approaching him and keeps air dodging them, he needs a new attack.

You didn't use mach tornado a whole lot, if at all, so he doesn't have to worry about that, as long as he keeps mixing it up. I'm gonna mess with the mach tornado, and see what attacks I can use to stop it.

I didn't say use the utilt, I said the uair. That's because he threw you above him a lot, and then waited for long amounts of time to attack you. Since it hits a lot, you can't air dodge it.

With the Jet Hammer, he just needs to remind you that it's there, and he can use it any time. It comes out pretty fast, but it's weak. If he charges it, he can pursue you with it to either space himself, or actually try hitting with it,

MLG Masa

Smash Cadet
I meant u-air sorry but i did test it, I can dodge down and miss all of the attacks. The best thing that a DDD can do in that situation is fast fall down and beat me to ground.

As for beating out the tornado im not sure but i think if DDD throws a spike thing out, it will stop it

Top Bottom