• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight's Down Tilt Tactics:

srn347

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I didn't know his down tilt had kill setup usage. This is quite useful, thanks.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
at very low percents i like to roll behind after dtilt on hit since people tend to mash jabs to interrupt dashgrab/dashattack or they will hold shield, both of which rolling behind will put you in a good position against. i do it with diddy at percents where its not yet a true combo like this https://youtu.be/J_bRC_lx4UY?t=2m it looks pretty ******** but its actually pretty good since it beats the reflexes people have against moves like this usually.

at the part when they start sliding i didnt actually know that they wont trip when this starts happening but its pretty good to know. what i like to do is after i land dtilt, run and shorthop forward, then fastfall and empty land right at the distance for another dtilt immediately on landing. it puts a ton of pressure on the opponent and is very safe, and once you notice how they react like if they spotdodge or roll or mash jab or whatever then you can use that the next time you land dtilt. If you land dtilt very close to the opponent and they are barely not at the percent where they get knocked down then dash attack will just barely combo, but except for that this move has like no true combos except out of a trip.

srn347

Smash Apprentice
If the range is safe (which it usually is after a d tilt), I find that cape is an excellent followup for mindgames.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I remember making a % list in the general thread http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...neral-discussion.370875/page-11#post-18748688, i was getting hype over it but its simply unsafe to do. Dtilt requires you to go into close range something MK doesn't excel in, imagine trying to land this on Falcon or Luigi.

Then like 5% after the Dtilt pops the character off the ground the setup won't work so you have to be precise and not mess up that kill setup, rage also effects it and can mess you up.

Its a nice kill setup but i tend to forget its existence since Uair,Forward throw and DA do a much better job at setting up kill moves. Its not something i go for on reflex i have to think about it and then deliberately go for it, mid range is MKs home and i feel this kill setup is risky too risky against characters with heavy damage per hit.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
I remember making a % list in the general thread http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...neral-discussion.370875/page-11#post-18748688, i was getting hype over it but its simply unsafe to do. Dtilt requires you to go into close range something MK doesn't excel in, imagine trying to land this on Falcon or Luigi.

Then like 5% after the Dtilt pops the character off the ground the setup won't work so you have to be precise and not mess up that kill setup, rage also effects it and can mess you up.

Its a nice kill setup but i tend to forget its existence since Uair,Forward throw and DA do a much better job at setting up kill moves. Its not something i go for on reflex i have to think about it and then deliberately go for it, mid range is MKs home and i feel this kill setup is risky too risky against characters with heavy damage per hit.
If you're not being cognizant of the % your opponent is at then this is one more barrier you need to break through to become a really good player. That is my feeling. I made this table because I landed this in my matches, but I did it intuitively without knowing the %. If I knew the %'s, I could go for it.

That being said, Meta Knight is fine in close if you understand the match up. Down tilt is frame 2, and while it is not as long reaching as its Brawl incarnation it is still long relative to his body.

Also, I'm not sure why you're suggesting this won't work 5% after it begins to pop them. This will work much higher than that. Provided they fail to tech.

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
it does work but i made a post about how running up and shuttle looping was better in almost every case anyways. the 5% thing hes talking about is the very small window where dtilt starts to knock you down, dimensional cape is a ko, and shuttle loop is barely not a ko.

also dtilt is frame 3

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Its an approximation, after a certain percent the opponent can act out of the hitstun before they hit the ground. So after a certain amount of dtilts it wont work.

Dtilt is frame 3 but

Luigis jab is frame 2

Falcons jab is frame 3

ZSS jab is frame 1

Fox's jab is frame 2

List goes on, im just saying its not very safe and you're putting yourself at risk just because.

Edit: I dont struggle to remember combos as a MK main you pretty much have to remeber combos for all percents for all characters. This dtilt one was deleted from my mind because its as I said too risky.

The barrier was broken a long time ago.

Edit harder: I mean if you attempt to do this dtilt kill setup at a percent thats too high, diddy for example can jump out of it or outright land on his feet.

Diddy is another character I wouldnt use it on because dtilt whiffs alot of him.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
It's a poor approximation. Like I said, tested it on Diddy and Diddy can't act out of it with an aerial or air dodge for quite some time. He has to resort to a tech.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I edited the opening post to now include the %'s where trips are possible, and the % where it is possible to send the opponent in to a helpless state off platforms for true combos.

Top Bottom