• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight matchup guide

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
Okay, so people have told me that they think my Meta Knight is very good (I really do not think so, i've got a lot to work on) so I decided to come up with this guide to help you Meta Knighters out there. This is not going to be colorful with pictures of different outfits he wears, pictures of meta knight, or any other thing that is not necessary.... This is a guide telling you what attacks to use, what to watch out for, and how to space yourself properly to get that Fsmash.

onward

(all matchups will be listed in alphabetical order...and will edit daily or, when i get a chance)

BOWSER-

Although Bowser is one of the slower characters in the game, do not underestimate him. His F tilt is quick with good range, his speed has improved from melee, and he can knock your light butt out VERY quickly. Most people think that being offensive on the heavyweights is the smartest option due to the fact that they are slower than you and you can beat them to the punch everytime...that is not true at all. (especially for Brawl) Instead, play the defensive with Bowser...let him make the first move. His grab range is horrible so if you suspect a grab.....pull back. Play the defensive and abuse the shield grab or UpB out of the shield. Bowser is an agressive character due to his inability to defend well... punish him with your neu B, f airs, and your average routine....just be defensive. This matchup is a piece of cake IF you are careful.

CAPTAIN FALCON-

Although the Captain is extremely fast...he is actually rather easy to fight for meta knight. Keep him on the ground due to the fact that all of his moves aside from his jab combo have slow startup times. (u tilt, falcon punch, f smash, dsmash etc) The only moves you really have to lookout for are his f tilt and his falcon kick..but they are hardly do high enough damage to knock you out...so bring the pain when he is on a surface. In the air he has some good quick moves to keep you off balance. Nair, b air, and u air are key to his aerial game. Do not worry about the Knee because i have not really seen anyone really use it good yet and its hard to pull of against a meta knight. Work off of your Fairs, nairs, bairs, and d tilt. Keep him on the surface and be offensive and you are golden.

Dedede-

The King is easily one of Meta Knights toughest opponents. Yes, he CAN NOT chain grab you...but he can still tech chase you...and rack up damage on you in seconds if you are not careful. The most important thing in this match up (and others, but more over here) is your spacing! Do not put yourself in the position where he can grab you...that is dededes biggest threat...grabs. One of his grabs punishes for a good 16% damage. Try to keep him on the ground as much as possible and work off of F tilts, spaced f airs...and throw in some grabs yourself. Metas up B glide attack is also VERY important in this match up....You need to KO him quickly...so an upB out of shield helps plenty too for that KO.

DONKEY KONG-

Donkey Kong in my opinion is just a faster Bowser. Donkey Kong is actually one of my favorite characters in the game. He has EXCELLENT options out of the shield, better spacing options within his attacks, (f tilt, neu a, d tilt, d throw) and he has better manueverability in Brawl than in Melee. The way to fight him is easy...use a lot of your QUICK attacks and just beat him to every attack..a lot of dks aerials have horrible startup...take advantage of his lack of aerial game and take him to the sky. Try not to fight him on the ground because that is where DK works off of. His u tilt, u smash, B punch, d smash, f smash will destroy you in seconds if you are not careful. Abuse your fair and uair to no end.

Falco-

Another easy match up. Falco players rely on two moves...the dair spike...and his laser. If you can learn when they use these two moves, how, and why...its a piece of cake. When Falco fires his laser...distance yourself first so that you have time to react to the shot. then turn on that tornado and haul your *** over there and make him pay for thinking he can shoot that thing. Then, just take falco to the air and use your fair and bair...try not to challenge him if he is above you because than that leads to spiking..and he has a pretty good one. d air could also probably work well...but stick to a horizontal attack approach. On the ground you dont have to worry about much other than his lasers...keep the pressure up...mix it up with some throws...and it'll be okay. This match is easy because hes light with horrible recovery whereas you are light with one of the top 2 recoveries in the game. The match is in your favor..just find there laser pattern.

PIT-

Ahhh...one of Meta Knights toughest match ups...but once you know how to fight pit...it is actually relatively easy. Most Pit users will spam there arrows at you because they know that projectiles bother Meta Knight....not really the case. Just make sure you learn when they use their arrows and prepare with a tornado to approach them while they TRY and spam. Try to knock Pit out VERTICALLY as opposed to horizontally because of the lack of choices pit has working vertically. The rising uair combo is crucial here...if they have good DI prepare uair to fair when they DI to the side of you. Horizontally he has his glide, the bair (good move) fair, and mind games with the upB recovery whereas with vertical recovery his d air and u air are not as effective....If they prepare the glide to come back to the stage often....be defensive and just wait for them to land....do not try to intercept him in the air...glide attack hurts. Most pit users are not too familiar with knowing when to use the d air effectively...they work off of the sides. Meta Knight has better all around aerial options with little lag. In my eyes the only advantages i believe Pit has is a projectile and two reflectors. But if they are facing you...the reflectors mean nothing. Good luck on this match up.

Solid Snake-

Snake is a tough character for Meta Knight. (Well, anyone) Most GOOD snake players know how to use the u smash dash cancel...so make sure you watch out for that. Stay on the ground and use your F tilt until snake is up in the air...than go get him. DO NOT attack him when he is below you...U tilt will destroy you. Snake easily has the best tilts in the game....that F tilt is ****. Out of the shiled, the triple A and f tilt are snakes best options...watch out for his tilts and spam your d smash like it is your job. Basically, you want to space yourself so you are not TOO close to snake but not toooo far away...or else you will eat the usmash dash cancel...which is scary. Each Snake player has a very different edge guarding game. Most snake players will set you up with a fully charged u smash and than go get you while you stay away from the ledge while others SPAM the u smash and basically create a wall. You are meta knight! glide back to the stage, mach tornado to the stage, side b to the stage, side b to the ledge, down b onto the ledge, down b onto the stage! Meta Knight has the best ledge recovery mix up game...use that to your advantage against the best edge guarder in the game. Make sure to study there C4 placement...where they like it, where they do not, etc. Also, make sure you watch the TIMING of the activated grenades (around 3 seconds) and do not let snakes place mines!

Top Bottom