• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Invincible Ledgestall

iggyboy456

Smash Rookie
I was just toying around and noticed something interesting that MK can do from the ledge.

At this point, i'm pretty sure we all know that you can grab the edge with dimensional cape by holding towards the edge. In addition, you can also use this to slide off the stage with cape and the grab the edge.

I'm sure we also all know how the new edge mechanics work, where you only get invincibility from grabbing the edge once, but consecutive ledge grabs do not gain any invincibility.

Anyways, on to my discovery (forgive me if this is already known), I noticed during the part of Meta Knight's dimensional cape animation where he is invisble and you can move him around, something interesting is possible.

From the edge, MK can hop off by pressing back and then quickly do an air jump right into a dimensional cape. MK can then slide onto the stage with the cape, then quickly slide back off and regrab the edge. Even while in the middle of the animation, where MK is invisible, his brief contact with the stage's surface counts as fully getting back on. This means that when he regrabs the edge at the end of the cape anination, his ledge invincibility is completely refeshed.

I need to do some further testing, as I'm not sure if MK retains i-frames for the entirety of the technique, but it looks like he might, and even if he doesn't, he is invincible for a large window of time. I might also add that the technique is actually rather difficult to preform consistently, and a technical error can result in a potential SD, somewhat like Shiek's Shino Stall in Melee. This is also a lot easier with the custom dimensional cape that lets you move around for a really long time, I forgot the name, sorry.

I'll try to get a video together demonstrating the technique when I have a chance, but I thought you guys would be interested.

Last edited:

Galactic Knight

Smash Rookie
NNID
LightMetaKnight
I was just toying around and noticed something interesting that MK can do from the ledge.

At this point, i'm pretty sure we all know that you can grab the edge with dimensional cape by holding towards the edge. In addition, you can also use this to slide off the stage with cape and the grab the edge.

I'm sure we also all know how the new edge mechanics work, where you only get invincibility from grabbing the edge once, but consecutive ledge grabs do not gain any invincibility.

Anyways, on to my discovery (forgive me if this is already known), I noticed during the part of Meta Knight's dimensional cape animation where he is invisble and you can move him around, something interesting is possible.

From the edge, MK can hop off by pressing back and then quickly do an air jump right into a dimensional cape. MK can then slide onto the stage with the cape, then quickly slide back off and regrab the edge. Even while in the middle of the animation, where MK is invisible, his brief contact with the stage's surface counts as fully getting back on. This means that when he regrabs the edge at the end of the cape anination, his ledge invincibility is completely refeshed.

I need to do some further testing, as I'm not sure if MK retains i-frames for the entirety of the technique, but it looks like he might, and even if he doesn't, he is invincible for a large window of time. I might also add that the technique is actually rather difficult to preform consistently, and a technical error can result in a potential SD, somewhat like Shiek's Shino Stall in Melee. This is also a lot easier with the custom dimensional cape that lets you move around for a really long time, I forgot the name, sorry.

I'll try to get a video together demonstrating the technique when I have a chance, but I thought you guys would be interested.
This is great, I'll test this out if I can. Though like you said, it seems like it would be difficult to perform consistantly and that alone probably makes it highly circumstantial where it's actually viable to utilise in a match. Nonetheless it's a nice catch that could prove useful in many a game, should the situation permit, of course.

Top Bottom