• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Tournament in Rocky Mount, NC!!!

mickpalmer

Smash Rookie
That's right folks a Melee tournament is scheduled to take place at the new game store in Rocky Mount, Game On! Games. So here's the basic information below, rules and other information can be viewed on the store's MySpace page at http://www.myspace.com/gameongamesrockymount

Date: August 2, 2008

Time: 11:00 AM prompt, so be early.

1242 Home Depot Plaza
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
(Located right behind Chili's and in front of Home Depot off of Wesleyan Blvd/US-301)
Mapquest also gives very exact directions so don't worry about it misleading you if you're traveling from afar.

Entry Fee: $4 pre-registration is currently available up until the tournament date, that morning it'll be $5 to register.

Prize: Prizes are TBA at the moment, but if it's anything like our past tournaments (we hold a tournament at least once a month) then it'll be store credit issued as the top prize, we're contemplating doing systems this time around as well. Either way, prizes will be based on participation and as long as the turn out is close to the past events then we'll more than likely have $100 or more store credit as the first place prize with prizes also available for 2nd & 3rd place as well.

Tournament Format: The tournament will run on a swiss format. For those who have never played in a swiss format tournament before think of it like the round robin style which is prevelant among other smash touranments. There will be a set number of rounds (number based on number of participants) where every player will play (win or lose, you'll be able to play all of the rounds). Round 1 will be randomly paired, round 2 will pair the winners of round 1 against each other and the losers of round 1 against each other. Round 3 follows suit and pairs players of same records again, and so on. My hope is that the swiss rounds will continue until only one person is undefeated. At that point a cut will be made to the top 4/8/16 players, this top cut is also determined on the number of players present. The top players will be seeded by their swiss records and they'll play in a playoff bracket. The champion of the bracket is the tournament winner, second goes to the loser in the finals, if a third place prize is present then the players who lost the semi-finals will play against each other for third place.

Time Limits and other General Rules: For a full list of rules please refer to the MySpace page listed above, a print out of rules is also available at the store. Swiss matches will be one game matches under an 8 minute time limit with 4 stock. Top cut playoff matches will be best of 3 and will follow the same 8 minute time limit/4 stock rule per game as the swiss matches had. The finals however will differ (both for first/second and the match for third) as it'll be a best of 5 match with the stock set at 5 per game and a 10 minute time limit per game.

Game On! Games buys/sells/trades classic and new video games/systems. So why not bring in your old NES or other games to trade in towards your entry fee! You could play for free!

As I said, please refer to the rules on the MySpace page or pick up a copy of the printed rules at the store. There is information on banned moves as well as banned stages on the full rule list so please read through them carefully and feel free to ask questions if need be.

You can contact the store at 252-937-GAME (4263) or the tournament director (aka me) via email at mickpalmer316@aol.com.

I'll also check back at this thread periodically so generalized questions may be asked here and the thread could act as a FAQ. So that's it, hope to see a lot of new faces, we're looking forward to quite a turnout!

Post if you're coming!

mickpalmer

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna go ahead and make an announcement here for those coming. I've thought it over and I have decided that I will do a doubles tournament for sure after the singles. Doubles sign ups will start on the day of however so we don't have any confusion from the singles pre-registration. I'll announce to those present that morning and we'll start signing people up for the doubles during the singles tournament.

Registration will be set at $10 per team and the prize will be determined on the interest. I'm sure we can come up with something nice for you guys though, I mean.. it is a freakin' game store, =P.

So yeah! Let's do this!

mickpalmer

Smash Rookie
Tournament's only in one week! Who all's coming!

We've got only 13 pre-registered so far, that's about half of my minimum expected list, let's pick it up folks! And remember, doubles is on the same day right after the singles tournament, $10 per team!

So let's keep the ball rolling on the coming list!

Top Bottom