• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee through a TV Tuner?

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
Hey. I'm using a TV Tuner (WinTV HVR-1600) to record on an LCD monitor (Acer H233H). I tried using several different types of software to capture the video but I ended up settling with Virtual Dub's "capture avi" function. However, the image comes out grainy with weird horizontal lines on it. I'm not sure what the proper term for it in video encoding is but here's an example: http://gyazo.com/e4e830a99441249fa96aa17c78476079 (same pic as my avatar)

Note that that's NOT an upscale--it's cropped from a screenshot that I took for something else. And yes, the problem occurs whenever an object on-screen moves; it's not something that only appeared in the screencap and not in the video. I can provide better pics if need be but that's all I have on me at the moment.

So, can anyone tell me what this problem is called and, if possible, suggest some solutions? Do you think it's happening because of the capture card or the software used to run it or the fact that I'm recording on an LCD rather than CRT? Any info would be appreciated. I know most recording is done on a laptop with an external cap card but I would think that a TV Tuner in a desktop could do an equivalent job.

It might be just interlaced footage. There's a way to deinterlace it in VirtualDub after recording. Open the recorded file, on the menu click video > filters. Add a deinterlace filter and choose either the Yadif or ELA algorithm

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
You were right! Thanks! I guess those are called scanline artifacts.

Also, I'd rather not make a new thread for this seeing as how quiet the forum is, but are there any particular RCA splitters that people normally use? From what I've seen they're all pretty bulky, but they're necessary since the Cube has to feed its video to the PC/laptop doing the recording and the CRT that the game is being played on, right?

RCA splitters or do you mean a splitter for your kind of cable?

For RCA, use any splitter even if it's unpowered. However, with video, some claim there's slight lag when you split the yellow cable. I record off of s-video. It's a separate signal from the yellow cable and it's slightly clearer.

Idk anything about the kind of cable you record off of

And yes, the signal will always need to be split: 1 to play off of and 1 to record off of

I took a quick look at your device online and

Looks like you have an s-video input and an audio jack input. You could try splitting your audio cables and connecting the recording ends to an RCA to audio jack converter. But I don't know how well the sound will turn out. If you play audio from an audio jack to RCA, you'll get quiet results. So the reverse I'd guess would be you'd get loud audio

Top Bottom