• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Request melee: the 2D fighting game idea pitch

slowbruh

Smash Cadet
hey smashboards

so i was thinking of a new melee mod that makes melee feel like a more traditional fighting game (aka street fighter) so maybe this could be a reality if there are some good modders. anyway here are my idea's

- instead of the usual direction and a press of the A or B button you now use different attacks for the A B X Y buttons
- no rolling
- No grabs
- you can only jump witch the stick upwards
- greatly reduced knockback and a bit more hitstun
- special moves differ between characters and can be activated by inputs (if modding this doesn't work then mapping it to the c stick is an option to)
- the percent is still existant but it works lke brawl's stamina mode where you lose when your percent is 0
- the stages are all the same with no platforms only the background changes and the stage is just a flat vertical space (for this idea maybe stretching final destination or dreamland or something like the omega stages in SD remix
- airdodging is replaced with shielding in the air
- shieldstun is reduced and more shield knockback
-on main menu when you press start you immediatly boot to stamina mode

some character idea's

A: first hit jab can follow up into it self
B: side tilt
X: up tillt
Y: forward smash
A (aireal): first hit of N air
B (aireal): D air
X (aireal): F air
Y (aireal): Up air
:GCD::GCDR::GCR:any button: raptor boost
:GCD::GCDL::GCL:any button: falcon kick/warlock punch (to make ganondorf and Falcon more diverse apart from their speed and power)
:GCR::GCD::GCDR:any button: falcon dive but it acts more like a shuriuken (ganon has a command grab falcon doesn’t his move is more like aand high risk high reward shuriuken)
A: jab
B: F tilt
X: D tilt
Y: Up tilt
A (aireal): Up air (can combo into itself)
B (aireal): F air
X (aireal): B air
Y (aireal): N air
:GCD::GCDR::GCR:any button: thunder jolt
:GCD::GCDL::GCL:any button: skull bash (it is an uncharged skull bash high risk high reward)
:GCR::GCD::GCDR:any button: thunder (it comes out quicker and is less powerfull usefull to catch opponements trying to attack from above)

(Note pichu does no longer take damage while using electrick type moves)
A: First hit of jab
B: Neutural B (an uncharged neutural b)
X: side tilt
Y: up tilt
A (aireal):
B (aireal):
X (aireal):
Y (aireal)
:GCD::GCDR::GCR:any button: Spinning kong (comes out faster and can't be used in the air)
:GCD::GCDL::GCL:any button: Headbutt
:GCR::GCD::GCDR:any button: spinning kong (this one is the aireal version it has a much shorter horizontal distance and it rises up it also is more powerfull has a lot of endlag)
Mechanics: jigglypuff is a lightweight character, it now has 3 aireal jumps to make it not annoying
B: down tilt
X: side smash
Y: down smash
A (aerial): N air
B (aerial): F air
X (aerial): U air
Y (aerial): D air
:GCD::GCDR::GCR:any button: Pound. Except it hits with the force of a Shoryuken
:GCD::GCDL::GCL:any button: Sing (this move is now a bit faster to make it more viable)
:GCR::GCD::GCDR:any button: Rest it Now heals the user amoderate amount and doesn't inflict damage.
(This character was suggested by ryuu seika)
A: side tilt
B: side smash
X: down smash
Y: up smash
A (aerial): N air, only the hitbox actually covers his feet.
:GCD::GCDR::GCR:any button: Fireball.
:GCD::GCDL::GCL:any button: Inhale (or copied move).
:GCR::GCD::GCDR:any button: Final Cutter.
(This character was suggested by ryuu seika)

if anyone is interested in this idea feel free to comment what you would like to see and maybe even help modding that would really be a dream come true:pikachu:
i am already trying to make the mod but i have not a lot of experience with codes for now i configure my controller buttons diffrent also i think that input specials do not work i guess so there is a chance that the specials will be mapped to the C stick, if anyone wants to help me feel free to message
•disable rolling
•disable airdodge and rolling
•remapping buttons IN game
•on select screen booting straight to stamina mode
•air shielding
•disabeling Player 3 and 4
•incresing hitstun and knockback

Last edited:

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
Make B aerial dair instead of second hit nair for falcon and ganon imo

ryuu seika

Smash Master
What's the plan regarding shield shrinkage? Why no throws?

Also, I get why Pichu shouldn't self harm in this version as it'd be pretty killer with a fixed HP limit but he can't just have complete freedom. It's his biggest defining character trait.

If shield shrink is a thing, perhaps he could automatically go into a few frames of shield and take shield damage instead? This might actually be advantageous in some cases due to it cutting end lag so the choice of whether or not to let yourself get hit by lightning would be an interesting tradeoff between defence and speed.
Consider also using a charged or semi-charged Skull Bash to highlight the differences between Pikachu and Pichu. Pichu's overcharges to go further and deal more damage but just the greater movement would be cool here.

Oh and character ideas:

X: up tilt
A (aerial): D air
X (aerial): B air
Y (aerial): Down Special, only slower.
:GCD::GCDR::GCR:any button: Egg Roll. Perhaps, given the lack of drops to add danger to the move, it could just go straight across the whole stage (no control) and burst on the far wall, popping Yoshi into a helpless fall? Makes it better at close or mid range, IDK. Not sure on this idea.
:GCD::GCDL::GCL:any button: Egg Toss. Has a single preset arc.
:GCR::GCD::GCDR:any button: Grab to instant D-Throw. I know it's weird but it's the most logical way to implement his tongue.

:GCD::GCDL::GCL:any button: Sing.
:GCR::GCD::GCDR:any button: Rest. Now heals the user a moderate amount and doesn't inflict damage. I know that's an annoying tactic but it's super punishable now.

slowbruh

Smash Cadet
What's the plan regarding shield shrinkage? Why no throws?

Also, I get why Pichu shouldn't self harm in this version as it'd be pretty killer with a fixed HP limit but he can't just have complete freedom. It's his biggest defining character trait.

If shield shrink is a thing, perhaps he could automatically go into a few frames of shield and take shield damage instead? This might actually be advantageous in some cases due to it cutting end lag so the choice of whether or not to let yourself get hit by lightning would be an interesting tradeoff between defence and speed.
Consider also using a charged or semi-charged Skull Bash to highlight the differences between Pikachu and Pichu. Pichu's overcharges to go further and deal more damage but just the greater movement would be cool here.

Oh and character ideas:

X: up tilt
A (aerial): D air
X (aerial): B air
Y (aerial): Down Special, only slower.
:GCD::GCDR::GCR:any button: Egg Roll. Perhaps, given the lack of drops to add danger to the move, it could just go straight across the whole stage (no control) and burst on the far wall, popping Yoshi into a helpless fall? Makes it better at close or mid range, IDK. Not sure on this idea.
:GCD::GCDL::GCL:any button: Egg Toss. Has a single preset arc.
:GCR::GCD::GCDR:any button: Grab to instant D-Throw. I know it's weird but it's the most logical way to implement his tongue.

:GCD::GCDL::GCL:any button: Sing.
:GCR::GCD::GCDR:any button: Rest. Now heals the user a moderate amount and doesn't inflict damage. I know that's an annoying tactic but it's super punishable now.
I use no throws because i don’t want any exploidable things to happen smash is very unique with being able to throw in 4 diffrent directions

You’re able to shieldbreak

Regarding pichu: i plan on making pikachu an all round character and pichu a lightweight this makes it so that pichu stands out form pikachu that her moves come out faster but takes more damage

Also i implemented jigglypuff into the main post thanks for your feedback

Last edited:

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
You should keep throws, just remove chain grabbing

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Two more ideas:

So desyncing these two would be a big part of their gameplay, one way or another, to make the most of them being two characters but their specials will all be joint attacks that warp Nana back to join the player character to emphasise their cooperation.
X: down tilt
:GCD::GCDR::GCR:any button: Ice Shot. Only, now that they swing together, this spawns a freezie.
:GCD::GCDL::GCL:any button: Squall Hammer. The pair hammer spin back to back.
:GCR::GCD::GCDR:any button: Blizzard. Also done back to hit both sides but short range and no protection from above.

slowbruh

Smash Cadet
Two more ideas:

So desyncing these two would be a big part of their gameplay, one way or another, to make the most of them being two characters but their specials will all be joint attacks that warp Nana back to join the player character to emphasise their cooperation.
X: down tilt
:GCD::GCDR::GCR:any button: Ice Shot. Only, now that they swing together, this spawns a freezie.
:GCD::GCDL::GCL:any button: Squall Hammer. The pair hammer spin back to back.
:GCR::GCD::GCDR:any button: Blizzard. Also done back to hit both sides but short range and no protection from above.

yeah idk about the ice climbers i think it would be a bit OP i mean nana can't be hurt so you can only do damage to popo with also the fact that nana can't die makes this character in my opninion kinda overpowered

Mega Fan

Smash Cadet
I might start working on making this a reality, but I'll do the best I can with the free time that I have. To make sure that blastzones aren't an issue, and given that melee stage modding isn't the best right now, I decided that the best contenders for legal stages are Brinstar Escape Shaft, G&W Target Test, and All Star Rest Area

Edit: Note that it won't be perfectly the same as how you wanted but I feel like the way I did it could work well too. I couldn't reassign buttons because modding isn't at that level yet to my knowledge. I have the ability to take out most moves/actions (including rolls and throws). I'll get to working on the movesets pretty soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom