• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee feels too different on Dolphin

Don Weaso

Smash Rookie
Because I live in a bad region, I don't have any players to practice with. I tried Melee netplay because I have a good connection, but Melee on Dolphin feels sooooo slow. It's so different compared to when I play on my old TV.

Is there any way to fix this or should I just adapt to the way Melee is on Dolphin ?

electroplankton

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2061-7231-0652
Because I live in a bad region, I don't have any players to practice with. I tried Melee netplay because I have a good connection, but Melee on Dolphin feels sooooo slow. It's so different compared to when I play on my old TV.

Is there any way to fix this or should I just adapt to the way Melee is on Dolphin ?
online or singleplayer? you shouldnt expect too much from online considering its impossible on a gamecube.. and if you can't play it well on your pc your pc probably isn't that good. either way try fastermelee.

Don Weaso

Smash Rookie
Both actually. I don't have any problem with online but even in single player the game feels way to different. It's not lagging at all, but it feels slow compared to my old TV.

mysticfedora

do your f*cking sh*t and LET'S GO!
Both actually. I don't have any problem with online but even in single player the game feels way to different. It's not lagging at all, but it feels slow compared to my old TV.
This is really confusing to me. Can you try to dissect what you said right there for me? It's slow... but there's no lag? It's slow - but online is fine for you and it's only when you're playing singleplayer on dolphin that it's slow? That really doesn't make logical sense to me. Also, where do you live and what's your set up like? In any case, do these things if you haven't already - because if what you're saying is accurate it must just be a hardware issue;

~ Make sure your controller adapter is set up correctly, depending on which one you have and how exactly it's set up you might be causing yourself a ton of unnecessary input lag - guide for that found here http://tinyurl.com/z3de6nu follow it closely
~ Get a Ben-Q monitor with at least 60Hz (since Melee runs at 60fps, any monitor with higher Hz [i.e. 144] is not necessary)
~ If you do have the appropriate monitor for netplay, and are running a multiple monitor set up (such as your laptop screen being the other monitor) make sure you set dolphin to display in full screen mode on the Ben-Q, and are clicked in on that monitor so that the application (dolphin) isn't running in the background. You'd be surprised just how much lag you cause yourself just by not being clicked in on the full screen app. On top of this, run as minimal simultaneous applications as you can on your computer while playing. When I play dolphin I prefer to keep only Dolphin, Discord, and OBS running. Don't even like web browsers open or my runescape client.
~ An ethernet cable connected to your computer is a must, definitely prioritize this - -but you said your connection is good so I'm sure you already do this
~ Smashladder.com has a Smash Ladder Dolphin launcher which is a fantastic option for playing Melee online - it automatically updates with all the different versions of Dolphin for Melee and all you have to do when it updates is click download on the desired launcher and it should be ready to go very quickly (here's the link http://tinyurl.com/yywwzrhz ) this way you can experiment to find which version works best for you, Slippi, Faster Melee, etc

Besides all that I can't think of anything else you could do in order to optimize the consistency of how Melee feels being played on Dolphin. If you do all of that, assuming you haven't already, I'd just assume it's in your head. Of course it'll never be as consistently smooth and perfect as vanilla melee, but it's honestly not that bad. I played melee with a co worker a few months back, just after Ultimate came out, and he said it was slow. I just can't help but think that it's not melee that was slow, but perhaps he was inputting his inputs a tad too early or late during ongoing animations, and his actions weren't getting registered by the game as a result of that - resulting in him thinking Melee was slower than Ultimate. Maybe you're having a similar issue?

Oborra

Smash Rookie
Really the best results for Melee on Dolphin would be for the monitor to not have to rescale the resolution entirely, so if you have an old CRT monitor lying about I'd genuinely give that a whirl.

https://smashboards.com/threads/perfect-setups-tv-monitor-console-capture-device.355292/

That link is a very informative and educational thread by Kadano, and even if you can't find a perfect setup it explains a lot of the factors that would cause input lag, so you'll know better what to look for in a monitor. Best of luck!

Edit: I would never purchase an Alienware anything, it's normally a tad overpriced and if you know what to look for in a monitor (Kadano's thread!) you'll be able to find one with comparable specs to that one you linked for a fair bit less.

Last edited:
Top Bottom