• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Megaman spacing

Eren Swaeger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mechs246
3DS FC
0533-6950-4814
Hi. So basically, I play really unsafe. Whenever I play zss, I just sh lemon hop and they catch on and punish me. I was wondering about how to space properly with megaman. Not for zss, but in general.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Megs is a character that works the best at mid-distance, as most of his projectiles peak at mid-distance. The only projectile that can go long distance is Crash Bomber, and use it there, but for everything else, try to stay at mid distance. Also, make sure your lemon game is at point. ZSS is a tough match up, and being on point with lemons helps in the long run, although it's still a hard battle.

Eren Swaeger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mechs246
3DS FC
0533-6950-4814
Megs is a character that works the best at mid-distance, as most of his projectiles peak at mid-distance. The only projectile that can go long distance is Crash Bomber, and use it there, but for everything else, try to stay at mid distance. Also, make sure your lemon game is at point. ZSS is a tough match up, and being on point with lemons helps in the long run, although it's still a hard battle.
Thank you for your input. I also tried uair when they use down b. Also, do you have any secondary options as to who can beat zss with the exceptions on sheik?

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
I don't think ZSS is a bad MU to the point you need a secondary. (nothing sort of Pikachu or Sheik will help anyway) Just focus on improving your fundamentals. Maybe if you have videos to show, we can give more specific advice.

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
Jump away and b-reverse a blade if you want to throw one. I find it works well against ZSS. She'll advance because she sees you retreating, and since her dash is so quick she'll gain a decent amount of ground. You'll pivot back, however, and get her with the blade and be that much closer to land a grab or some other type of follow up. They might start jumping in more as a result, but if you mix it up it should be pretty handy.

Also short hopped pellets are great for ZSS, so you have that part down. They're really good for stopping her grab: even if she lands it on you, usually a pre-fired pellet will disrupt her after the fact and release you from the tether.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
If they do a lot of jumping do up diagonal mbs to hit them. Biggest thing to look out for is getting hit with down b during a moves end lag.

Try to keep mixing it up and Uair works really well against her down b

Also double nair pellets right in her face work really well. They work really well against any character with a tether grab because they can't shield grab you.

uncaDon

Smash Cadet
Basically you need to get into the rythm of shooting lemans

When you're done shooting lemons there's a little opening that you need to cover up with something. Usually this will be a backwards or forwards jump, but you can also shield (slower) dtilt (slower) or roll. You will want to make sure that you end each burst of lemons with a short or full jump and have a plan ready for what happens next based on what your opponent is doing or is likely to do. This sounds hard and it really is, but it's where the skill of playing megaman comes in. Your neutral game of shooting lemons is a little idle thing you do while you figure out how to screw with your opponent's brain.

There really is no short-cut to it, just practice in the lab until you dont flub short hops or accidentally pivot, and then practice it against opponents, trying to keep them at max pellet range while staying out of their reach. Weave in other stuff as you get more comfortable, and remember that you want your opponent to shield more than anything else - if they are shielding, you can start getting grabs. If they are coming at you aggressively, you need to keep spacing, and try fullhops, covering your landing with metal blade.

Finally, if you always shoot 3 lemons at a time, smart opponents will catch on and come for you when you are open. So you want to mix up how many you shoot sometimes, the rising lemon hop thing is useful for this. (Flick thumb from A over to X/Y)

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
What uncaDon uncaDon said is pretty much on point. Just remember that you can also just end with a Jab or slow-walk Ftilt at max-Lemon range to mess with your opponent if their mobility isn't too high. Just keep mixing up the way you end your Lemon stream :p

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Make sure you know survival DI to survive boost kick. A big advantage you have here is your weight, ZSS is light and you are heavy and small. Make it count. Rage bair will net you good kills, as will zigma upper and rage back throw. Keep the throw fresh, killing asap is important as zss with rage is also deadly.

NotMegaMan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sickspinda
It very much depends on your playstyle. ive seen REALLY good megamans stay away and space and such, only using blades and lemons and such, but i play very aggro, loaded with bairs and dairs and charge shots, i try to leave no space between me and the enemy unless certain matchups are used, like maybe marth or ike, where they have no projectiles. But again, depends on your playstyle, im also really bad at explaining things so have mercy on my words. :upsidedown::smash:

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
When playing Megaman, it's best to try and maintain a range between the 3/4 point and the end point of his jab. That being said, no one is perfect and Mega has options for every situation. The key to success is getting down the proper timing for utilizing each of his tools at the appropriate time. Mega has the unique ability to have a constant barrage of projectiles flying at his opponents from a multitude of different directions.

Mix up between 1 ,2 , or 3 pellets, and saw blades to slow their approach while using short hops to maintain distance. At longer ranges, saw blades can still be effective, but it's also a good idea to mix in crash bombs, which can lead to various string set-ups, including shield breaks and grab combos. Other long range options include full charge f-smash, which is usually risky, but makes for a great landing punish if you're opponent isn't in range to punish the end lag, or thrown leaf shield, which is great for cancelling out other projectile users' attacks mid-flight while still connecting with the enemy due to other hit boxes.

Juggling is easy with up airs, up smashes, and upwards thrown item bade, just remember to delay to catch air dodges. When getting juggled, mix up between dairs, fast fall fair, bair, and nair, diagonal saw blades, and leaf shielding. Alternatively, bait them into an aerial chase and then use rush coil to jump up and away, Megaman has pretty good aerial movement.

When an opponent is getting in your face, mix up between spot dodge, shield, shield grab, nair from shield, upsmash from shield, uptilt from shield, dtilt, or short hop fair.

Megaman's gimp game is unreal. If you get someone off stage, don't be afraid to throw anything you want at them if they're recovering high, just be sure to mix it up instead of using the same attack every time you get them airborne. When you're opponent is recovering low, you could still throw saw blades angled down, z drop them straight down near the ledge, go for a dair spike, or you could opt to chase off with a fair, bair, or nair. Bair is the strongest chase off option, but it needs to be RAR'd to hit them, which makes it difficult to hit opponents recovering very low. The best bet then is the melee range hitbox of nair, because it has a low knock back angle compared to fair which launches at a more upward angle. You could also put up leaf shield and run off to try and footstool for surprise kills, but it's a little gimmicky.

Back throw kills most of the cast around 140%, earlier with rage, and down throw is your main comboing throw. Usually, you want to go for dthrow into fair into upair at low percents for maximum damage, but at later percents it wont always combo properly so you could opt for just fair, bair, nair, or up air. Leafshield works well with the grab as well, but don't try to go for more than 1 pummel because megamans is too slow.

Saw blades are extremely versatile. They do 3% per hit when used regularly, and 5% per hit when thrown as an item, as well as flying faster when thrown as an item. Reg. saw blade throw can be combo'd into dash attack and grab at close range, and thrown diagonally downward in the air from a certain distance combos into the uptilt for a kill. When holding the saw blade, you can jump and then hit Z while the left stick is in neutral, to Z-drop a blade, which causes it do fall slowly, straight down, often increasing the number of times it hits an enemy. It's always a good idea to try and use the item blade instead of regular, unless you're going for the close range saw blade options mentioned above. Also, you can use item blade while you have leaf shield up, and then throw the shield or vice versa as a nice long range mix up.

Crash bombs combo into pretty much anything you want, you just have to space according to the situation. Crash bombs always send the target in the direction they were flying when they stuck to the first person struck with the bomb. So if you fired it right, it will send the target right, even if it gets passed to someone else. Keeping that in mind, you'll want to aim for the area they will be sent flying toward after the explosion when planning your follow up. Crash bombs can also be used to bait grabs (just be sure to time your throw so that the bomb is still on them)or a shield break. If your opponent tries to shield the explosion as well as an item blade into full charge shot, it will break their shield leaving them wide open for uptilt or full charge down smash if uptilt wont quite kill. Also, I won't go hugely into detail, but you can also do what's called crash bomb cancelling if you are below 40% damage, so look that up, you wont be sorry.

For general safety tips;

Don't use down smash. Ever. (Seriously, down smash is only good for super hard roll reads, and the "uptilt not strong enough to kill during shield break" scenario, otherwise, upsmash is better in any situation where it seems like down smash would work)

Don't stand still and spam projectiles, Mega has the best ability to continuously move while shooting out of the whole cast. Keep moving around unpredictably while you shoot.

Always cancel the end lag of pellets with a jump, whether short or full, it gets you out of that akward, "I shot you three times, lets shake hands" end lag when you use pellets to approach.

Sorry for the wall of text, hope this helps.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
I think it's important to consider zoning vs spacing. To me they are different, and are both vital for mega man.

I see zoning as using projectiles (usually, altough fairs and bairs can zone as well) to create areas that are unsafe for the opponent. Sometimes, you want to use a projectIle to cause a reaction , and not necessarily for it to hit. As an example fire a couple pellets, and be ready with diagnal up metal blade or fair when they jump over pellets.

Spacing is really about your proximity to your opponent. Generally you want a mid range space, although not always, such as you want to close the distance if opponent is at a disadvantage or you have a leaf shield up. If you always are trying to get away from opponent you will be too predictable. But don't just think horizontally in terms of spacing. Mega man is amazing at creating and using vertical spacing with rush and his air mobility. Often times I will create space with rush, and simultaneously get a metal blade or leaf shield while midair. You can rush from stage, and cover your landing onto rush with a dair. Bouncing on rush cancels your dair end lag. This trick is tough to punish and is a good way to get back to neutral.

Sometimes you will focus on zoning, other times spacing, and as much as you can focus on doing both simultaneously. This is where jumping comes in handy, especially with pellets, uairs, metal blade throws, etc.

While in neutral I focus on zoning, while staying mindful of my spacing. If I gain an advantage I use my spacing to press the advantage, like go in for a grab. If I am at a disadvantage I focus on spacing to get back to neutral, like using rush or even just running away or off stage and grab the ledge. Mega man lacks a great "get off me attack" so sometimes you just need to flee.

Top Bottom