• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Megabyte Punch - smash-like game

Dion

Smash Rookie
Megabyte Punch

Hello Smashboards!

I’m Dion! I’ve been lurking here for a long time, but I‘ve registered to show you something. In the past months I’ve been making a game called Megabyte Punch. It takes a lot of gameplay of smash and adds customizable parts with their own abilities (there is a bit more to it than that though). The thing is, I want to make this game a proper competitive fighter. This is why I came here. I need input from competitive players (or any player for that matter!).

So, if you like, you can try the demo in your browser and tell me what you think. I would really appreciate it!
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Reptilegames/megabyte-punch

The game is divided in an Adventure mode, where you collect parts, and a Fight mode, where all the punching is. Right now the demo is more of an alpha version as some things are still broken (technically and balance wise). For the best experience, you should grab a XBox 360 controller or four.

Got a trailer too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAjGUQxTEeQ

I keep a blog of the development here:
dionbyte.wordpress.com

Thanks!

Rikana

Smash Champion
Here are my thoughts so far based on what I saw in the trailer:

-very unique style, which I like
-seems to lack smash bros' "tilts" (controls should be analog based; using wasd takes out the tilts unless you intend to have double tap forward/back to make them run, but I like being able to choose to have speed that I can control such as the pace between just barely walking to just walking)
-to make it deep enough, you may need advance techniques
-to make some stages playable for competitive play, you probably need more neutral stages (although I'm pretty sure the stages I saw in the trailer are for story/adventure mode so far)
-customizable parts seem cool but may lead to imabalanced roster. maybe have the option to choose if you want to play against someone with customizable parts?

Looks good so far though for a web browser game.

Dion

Smash Rookie
-seems to lack smash bros' "tilts" (controls should be analog based; using wasd takes out the tilts unless you intend to have double tap forward/back to make them run, but I like being able to choose to have speed that I can control such as the pace between just barely walking to just walking)
You're right on the tilts. Since you normally use the keyboard, it uses double taps to go from fast to faster.

Aside from the basic 'more damage, more knockback', there is actually some advanced stuff in there. Here is some of it:

- Default attacks include 3 neutral jabs, Down ground, Nair, Fair, Bair, Dair and up attack.
- Shielding is a standard ability, blocks attacks, can run out, can reflect projectiles if timed well and can be broken by a shield break 'pelvic thrust' (seen at the end of the trailer).
- Hitboxes overrule each other based on damage.
- The shield breaking pelvic thrust is overruled by any hitbox but when you hit a shield it instantly breaks and gives the shielder a long penalty of stun.
- Hitboxes have their own hitpower (minimum knockback), hitscaling (how much more knockback you get with more damage), hitdirection (angle of knockback) and hitlag (amount of time the animation freezes on hit)

You are completely made from the parts you collect so there is no roster. The game saves your 'build' and those of the other players, up to 4. Except for the parts you start the game with, every part gives you something. You can have a max of 4 special abilities, similar to B moves in smash. Some parts give stat increases (like added damage to your default attacks).

There are separate fight stages (ten right now). A lot are also tryouts to see what fits the gameplay best. There is a lot to do still!

Thanks for the feedback :)

Top Bottom