• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Me Vs A decent Captain Falcon (Video) + How to deal with Rush Down characters.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709

I apologise in advance for the potato phone quality.

Some guy I fought in For Glory. I still have a couple of replays against him, including one with him using Jigglypuff, so I can upload it and discuss how I dealt with that matchup too if you guys want.

Anyway lets get to the matchup.

I feel that rush down characters (without a lot of utility moves like reflectors or projectiles) are one of the easiest characters to take down when I use Rosalina.

But they can be really threatening if they separate you from Luma by killing or splitting you apart. You have to be aware if they are baiting a Luma Shot because it can put you into really bad situations.

If they are too quick and you can't keep the enemy controlled from afar; you should focus more on attacking with Luma at your side.

Keep in mind that Rosalina can be pretty aggressive with juggles so go ahead if they are vulnerable to them because you have some good aerials in your arsenal.

I find that most rushdown character have a pretty meh recovery and are really weak to gimps. Rosalina can gimp opponents really well with her lightness and her safe long range recovery. If you are without Luma, don't be afraid to spike your foe if their recovery is bad and they don't have that many options to deal with it. Whatever stalls out them out to get back Luma is good.

Luma was really good for ranging out this Cpt. Falcon. Spacing him out works really well and is really easy with Luma. I had to keep my Luma safe because this guy knew that he should kill Luma at whatever chance he gets. You are the most vulnerable to rushdown characters when Luma is out, so try to keep him alive.

Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts on this and to continue discussing this in the comments. I feel the hardest rushdown characters to deal with are Yoshi, Mario, and maybe Sheik and I would like to know your findings and how you guys deal with them.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
A good Falcon for sure. I don't see him going aerial too much though. When grounded rushdown doesn't work, hopping all over the place like a bunny tends to help.

Or maybe that guy knew this and just didn't do it for a good reason... How are Rosalina's moves against Falcon's aerials?

Alain

Smash Cadet
I tend to have a terrible time with a skilled ZSS, Sheik & Little Mac. I have been trying to do a lot of tilts to punish and shoot Luma whenever they are about to dash in. Short hop nair works a bit for spacing but if Luma is got it's not even worth it.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
A good Falcon for sure. I don't see him going aerial too much though. When grounded rushdown doesn't work, hopping all over the place like a bunny tends to help.

Or maybe that guy knew this and just didn't do it for a good reason... How are Rosalina's moves against Falcon's aerials?
Fought this dude for what I believe to be 8 matches, he got 2 wins because he was pretty good. I believe he is trying to counterplay my Rosalina by going easy with the aerials, because Rosalina has quite a bit of range and priority on her aerials and I think I am able to range him out with my D-Air or a really good option is nail him with a N-Air on the way down to not be too predictable.

The Falcon probably thought it's more useful to surprise me with his aerials occasionally, which worked pretty well on me since Rosalina is so easy to juggle with U-Airs.

Bunny hopping is a good option for linear Rosalina players IMO. I usually nail them with an uncharged aerial Luma Shot to maintain my spacing.

Just be careful if she is grounded and you approach by air, her Up Tilt covers a lot of upwards distance above her and when Luma does it, it covers her from the front too. Luma has a powerful sweetspot similar to Megaman's Up Tilt plus it can shield Rosalina with it's priority. It can come out really fast too.

With that type of approach, I recommend doing it when Luma is dead because it is a lot easier to pull it off when he can't provide her those insane amounts of coverage. You can simply dash attack Rosalina when she is near an edge. Luma will fall off the stage, even if Rosalina rolls, spotdodges (lag from hitting Luma allows you to hit her), and I think shields. It's easy to punish sloppy and risky plays like this, but try to use it as sneak attack because you are still dash attacking.

Also, if you can bait a spotdodge, Falcon Punch her Luma and Rosalina will still take the hit after the spotdodge because of the lag on hitting Luma. The same Cpt. Falcon did it on me.

I hope I answered your question.

I tend to have a terrible time with a skilled ZSS, Sheik & Little Mac. I have been trying to do a lot of tilts to punish and shoot Luma whenever they are about to dash in. Short hop nair works a bit for spacing but if Luma is got it's not even worth it.
ZSS and Sheik are a lot more complicated to deal with but I'll help you with your Little Mac problem.

From what I found, a good Little Mac relies heavily on his prediction game, they will truly to not be predictable with the options he uses to recover. Whatever he can do to throw you off, like a counter or a Side-B from high up is good for him. So even with the options I'll show you, you have to have a good read on him in order to win.

One way you can approach that is particularly useful on Mac is to Grab or Dash Grab him, and combo Up Throw to Up Tilt and proceed to juggle him with Up Airs. He can't do very much against this because you have so much range, you can combo into another one if you sourspot, and his counter won't hurt you from directly above. Learn when he Air Dodges and bait them so you can continue the juggle. This is good to rack up high percents and even kill him when you have Luma with you.

When you knock Mac off the stage, you have a ton of options to kill him early. One of them that works particularly well with Rosalina's lightness and long range recovery is gimping. If he Side-B's to the stage, punish him by B-Airing him from the ledge or the stage. If you did it correctly, he cannot second jump any more and he wouldn't be able to recover. With Luma this is quite easy, even if you screw up because Luma covers the area below you with his B-Air.

Learn how to be precise with Rosalina's spike because it is a very good option when he is going for his uppercut. She can only do it if Luma misses the opponent but don't worry if Luma hits because it can kill him or push him further from the stage for a KO. Time it so you hit him before he is parallel with the ledge so you don't get hit with the uppercut. He can't fight back there because he needs to secure a recovery. His aerials are trash and he will die if he hits you with one.

For your ground game, do try to space him out with Luma and Star Bits, but if he is good and you can't contain him, it is better to keep Luma at your side and use all the priority and coverage he has to protect yourself and to be stronger aggressively. Remember, Little Mac doesn't have projectiles while you have Luma. You don't have to approach him, he has to approach YOU.

I hope I was able to help you out there. (Had to retype this because I lost the original post. Hope it doesn't feel rushed.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom