• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maybe i reached my limit?

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
Its seems i sadly reached my limit as a Falcon player i cannot defeat falcon dittos anymore i cannot defeat a friend i personally trained to use Falcon , he and most players online are like bots , extremely speedy , fast thinking, counter my every move, predict everything i reach a point where i dont know what to do im in blank and they keep attacking like an onslaught...maybe im old...my fingers dont react as fast anymore i cant even play F-zero X as i used to when i was a child or maybe C.Falcon isnt for me? i only play Smash for Falcon ...maybe i should get out? need some advice or something like that...thanks anyway

Last edited:

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
dude you can always get better learn more combos, go to tournaments, play with high level falcons, do reaserch, join the Skype group, thts just some examples of how to get better.

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
dude you can always get better learn more combos, go to tournaments, play with high level falcons, do reaserch, join the Skype group, thts just some examples of how to get better.
i tried but my fingers cant keep up with the speed of the battle or my reflexes betrayed me or simple i cannot "see"whats going on
which leads to horrible defeats
I once lose to a peach simply because i couldnt react on time to defend or dodge her Fair and her side B.i mean wtf i even had the advantage of stock
How can i train my speed? how can i get better reflexes? i mean it makes no sense that i ´ve excellent reflexes in real life but in a game i suck

Last edited:

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Well, I don't know how much effectiveness they have, but websites like humanbenchmark.com and apps like Lumosity can help you with quick thinking, speed and short-term memory. There's also the "sleep well, eat well and exercise" stuff if you're really into that.

The best players don't play purely out of tech skill and reflexes. The main thing is to gain experience, learn what are your opponent's good options for each occasion and try to cover most of the good options with your own options. When you narrow down the possibilities for reactions, they will definitely come faster and more efficiently.
In short, combine reading with reacting, and your punishing game (Falcon's best attribute) will become much smoother.

Also, practice. Go to training mode and practice Dance Trotting until you can do it 10x in a row, stop, and do it 10x in a row again. Practice SH instant Uair -> Double Jump until you're able to do it consistently, etc. Muscle memory is all that is needed. Spend an afternoon with a friend in the lab reacting to each move and taking notes of what works and what doesn't. And play a lot, go to tournaments, etc.

Watch your replays, especially the matches in which you lose, pause after your mistakes and think "Why did it go wrong? What should I have done to not have been hit?".

The list for tips and tricks goes on indefinitely, and there's a lot of stuff I know in theory but can't apply. Experience and time polish your practice, that's all.

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
Well, I don't know how much effectiveness they have, but websites like humanbenchmark.com and apps like Lumosity can help you with quick thinking, speed and short-term memory. There's also the "sleep well, eat well and exercise" stuff if you're really into that.

The best players don't play purely out of tech skill and reflexes. The main thing is to gain experience, learn what are your opponent's good options for each occasion and try to cover most of the good options with your own options. When you narrow down the possibilities for reactions, they will definitely come faster and more efficiently.
In short, combine reading with reacting, and your punishing game (Falcon's best attribute) will become much smoother.

Also, practice. Go to training mode and practice Dance Trotting until you can do it 10x in a row, stop, and do it 10x in a row again. Practice SH instant Uair -> Double Jump until you're able to do it consistently, etc. Muscle memory is all that is needed. Spend an afternoon with a friend in the lab reacting to each move and taking notes of what works and what doesn't. And play a lot, go to tournaments, etc.

Watch your replays, especially the matches in which you lose, pause after your mistakes and think "Why did it go wrong? What should I have done to not have been hit?".

The list for tips and tricks goes on indefinitely, and there's a lot of stuff I know in theory but can't apply. Experience and time polish your practice, that's all.
Of course i workout daily(i even practice martial arts) and sleep well but maybe i just need even more experience or simply i just suck at this game ....i mean i feel like i kinda dishonored Captain Falcon making him lose like a noob and that hurts a lot, good thing you guys ll keep him on his rightful place as one if not the best fighter in all Smash Brothers

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
-get better reflexes, try playing some FPS or rhythm games
-get faster fingers, try playing an instrument, juggling or again rhythm games
-you probably need to think more when playing, think of what is happening right now, what is going to happen next, and after the match think of what happened and what you can do to make things better the next time you play.
-accumulate more experience, find what can be used to punish the moves that cause trouble, try to learn the general phases of the matchups and what you're supposed to do at all time, watch videos of other Falcons

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
-get better reflexes, try playing some FPS or rhythm games
-get faster fingers, try playing an instrument, juggling or again rhythm games
-you probably need to think more when playing, think of what is happening right now, what is going to happen next, and after the match think of what happened and what you can do to make things better the next time you play.
-accumulate more experience, find what can be used to punish the moves that cause trouble, try to learn the general phases of the matchups and what you're supposed to do at all time, watch videos of other Falcons
So thats what it is...i never play FPS i hate those kind of games ...no wonder so many guys and kids nowdays have such amazing speed
I try to think what to do next but the opponents keeps pushing me so i dont have enough time to create an strategy
i ll try harder...i need to show my moves

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Then play rhythm games or bullet hell games. Both ask you to have good reaction time, memorize patterns and stay calm.

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
I want to show the result of my training against the friend who defeated and dishonored me so many times (now he couldnt defeat me this was the last battle we fought)
Please tell me what you think of the combat i of course was the original color Falcon

Levateinn

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lev_Zoravkov
3DS FC
0275-7009-2978
One thing i noticed was a lot of rolls being used for movement and not just evasion. Dashing is safer a lot of the time but rolling is a habit a lot of us fall to.

And twice i saw you go for dash attack into u air. First was a bit slow but you nailed the second.

lol at the ending

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
One thing i noticed was a lot of rolls being used for movement and not just evasion. Dashing is safer a lot of the time but rolling is a habit a lot of us fall to.

And twice i saw you go for dash attack into u air. First was a bit slow but you nailed the second.

lol at the ending
Yeah i forget i must do Uair and hit with the legs not the whole body so they cant punish me , also i cant be as agressive as my opponent no matter how hard i try i cant....
Yeah that ending was glorious i unleash all my frustration with a falcon punch

Last edited:

Ryukred

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryukred
You're having trouble with speed? No wonder, you're playing on a 3DS, not that there's anything wrong with the 3DS but it just limits how fast you can actually play, compared to using a GCC. I suggest getting a Wii U and a GCC.

Last edited:

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
You're having trouble with speed? No wonder, you're playing on a 3DS, not that there's anything wrong with the 3DS but it just limits how fast you can actually play, compared to using a GCC. I suggest getting a Wii U and a GCC.
i have the wii u version but my friend dont even so if i fight online on the wii u version i cant win, like i said before people are like robots, dodge and guard everything, punish every single move, i get trapped in their filthy loops of attacks like a noob , thats why i need help

Last edited:

Ryukred

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryukred
i have the wii u version but my friend dont even so if i fight online on the wii u version i cant win, like i said before people are like robots, dodge and guard everything, punish every single move, i get trapped in their filthy loops of attacks like a noob , thats why i need help
Ah okay, I'd say get used to being more defensive, and learn how to proceed with proper mind games, and try changing up your play style sometimes so your opponent can't predict you.

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
Ah okay, I'd say get used to being more defensive, and learn how to proceed with proper mind games, and try changing up your play style sometimes so your opponent can't predict you.
So its ok to be a defensive with falcon ?? i dont have to go all out always?

DiscoingGD

Smash Rookie
I'm having the same problem as you. My biggest mistake was that I played solo in the beginning, getting used to the game, beating master core, etc., and then when I was starting to feel good with Falcon, whom I thought I could play aggressively, I went online...

Maybe I'm just playing people who are better than me, or maybe I'm just going through a rough patch, but I can't even initiate combat without getting dodged and counterpunched. I've tried to mix it up with Neutral Airs, shorthop u airs, and even the occasional side b. All I can say is this game really seems to reward defensive play.

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
I'm having the same problem as you. My biggest mistake was that I played solo in the beginning, getting used to the game, beating master core, etc., and then when I was starting to feel good with Falcon, whom I thought I could play aggressively, I went online...

Maybe I'm just playing people who are better than me, or maybe I'm just going through a rough patch, but I can't even initiate combat without getting dodged and counterpunched. I've tried to mix it up with Neutral Airs, shorthop u airs, and even the occasional side b. All I can say is this game really seems to reward defensive play.
Yeah i thought that too but most people specially falcon players online are extremely agressive they never drop to a defensive play so im a little confuse about how should i play , i really try to be more on the offensive but i dont have the speed nor the reflexes to keep that so the opponents punish me a lot or perfect guard everything i do , THEY EVEN DODGE THE FRICKING DASH GRAB....THE GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB

Last edited:

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
dude
Falcon isn't a very safe character. He has many moves with long cooldown and very few disjoints, and he's really prone to getting nastily comboed all day, so you have to play really carefully if you want success with Falcon.
You have to play with a higher degree of focus and awareness than with other characters: good Falcons excel on assessing every situation with all the options their character has at hand at any given time, then executing it with good precision and great reaction time. Play the hunter. Scare your opponent, bait and punish. Bait and punish. Bait and punish.

Are you getting comboed? Did you lose the match? Fine, watch the replay, try to figure out the DI for remedying similar situations and remember that uair stops less careful comboers dead in their tracks.
Do they ALWAYS dodge your grab? Pay more attention to the opposing character's frame data. If you predict they will spotdodge just as you grab, you can wait for the dodge and punish in (almost) any way you want.

etc.

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
dude
Falcon isn't a very safe character. He has many moves with long cooldown and very few disjoints, and he's really prone to getting nastily comboed all day, so you have to play really carefully if you want success with Falcon.
You have to play with a higher degree of focus and awareness than with other characters: good Falcons excel on assessing every situation with all the options their character has at hand at any given time, then executing it with good precision and great reaction time. Play the hunter. Scare your opponent, bait and punish. Bait and punish. Bait and punish.

Are you getting comboed? Did you lose the match? Fine, watch the replay, try to figure out the DI for remedying similar situations and remember that uair stops less careful comboers dead in their tracks.
Do they ALWAYS dodge your grab? Pay more attention to the opposing character's frame data. If you predict they will spotdodge just as you grab, you can wait for the dodge and punish in (almost) any way you want.

etc.
i always try focus and predict my opponent moves but its very tiresome so i end up playing in a defensive way
How can i react to the enemy´s frame data if i cant "see" it ? characters like Zero samus , CFalcon and Sonic are way too swift...im not a robot thats what i said in the first place...most people at online games are like bots with incredible eye/hand speed...i guess i should stick to the 16 bit /32 bit era games...

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
if they spotdodge when you grab predict it and do a pivotgrab.
If i manage to grab my enemy or they spotdodge i always react one second later because i cant see whats going on until i either do the Dthrow automatically or they punish me

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Your footage gives me the impression that you don't know falcon as much as you think you do. Try these 3 things

TRAINING DRILL 1: FLOW
  • Set CPU to lvl 3
  • Set stock to 99
  • Go ham until you get bored ( this helps get your positioning going when you get the hit and helps work on feeling one with the character)
TRAINING DRILL 2: DISCOVERY
  • Go to training mode
  • Set the CPU to various characters (you'll want to visit here often to learn secrets if your character and combos
  • Learn various combos, 50/50s, frame traps, setups and such at various %s. This will allow you to maximize your damage output on foes
  • Mess around with your movement. Practice pivoting, dance trotting, perfect pivoting, and just moving gracefully
  • Set the opponent (mirror character) on lvl 9 and go to big battlefield. Set the opponent to run. Follow his every action exactly to the best if your ability.
  • Set the opponent to attack and avoid him like the plaque. Don't get hit, but try not to use the shield button.
TRAINING DRILL 3: NEUTRAL GAME
  • Set the opponent to lvl 9 ( I suggest random)
  • Put on 2 stock (or 3) and auto handicap
  • Keep beating it until you reach your highest percent ( a good one is >120%)
  • Keep working on it :)

Keep in mind that some or these are super advanced (like the learning combos on various characters at various percentages), but they all will make you WAAAAY better.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Look I'll be the first one to admit it: people do have limits. Not everyone can play at the uppermost level. Everyone can practice and always get better, but some people are naturally just better at certain things. The sooner we as people accept that this is the way of things, the better off we are in the long run.

That being said, I don't think you should quit playing Captain Falcon, or Smash for that matter. You post here: you obviously have some investment in the series, you must have fun playing it.

Keep playing; try to think about whats going on in the match. A lot of players fall into this sort of "groove" when they play fighting games, It's as if they're on autopilot. The culmination of what they know about the game and how they react to stimulus essentially determines what they do in a match and they don't even think about it. Don't fall into this trap. The next time you play, force yourself to slow it down about 30 mph and think before you push any buttons. Don't even start a dash unless you have a reason for it. And that's the key here: every single time you press a button, there should be a reason.

Take some time when you're not playing to think about why you do certain things in certain situations. Why do you start a dash towards your opponent at the start of a match? Why do you approach with the moves you are approaching with? More importantly, why do you choose these options over something else? I guarantee you, if you start to think about these things, your play will improve dramatically.

If you want to get really good at Smash, I recommend you pick up other fighting games too. The execution of Smash players tends to be extremely sloppy because the game is so forgiving. You can oftentimes get away with not thinking, or with being imprecise. I recommend picking up a game with a faster pace, like Guilty Gear or UNIEL. When you play traditional fighting games a lot, your precision will increase. You'll learn to be more careful and thoughtful with your actions.

The last thing I want to mention wraps back to the original thing I said: we can't all be the best at Smash. Not everyone has it in them. I certainly don't. Most don't. Try to remember why you started playing Smash: it's a fun game, there's a lot more to it than meets the eye, the characters are really cool, and its fun to compete with people. You don't have to be the best to get these things out of the game, so don't let it get you down.

D

Deleted member 269706

If you are still losing, you haven't reached your limit.

Top Bottom