• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [May 22, 2016] Next Level Smash Series 5 - 7/30/16 - Project M and Melee (Albany, NY)

Airwave_NY

Smash Rookie
Facebook Link - https://www.facebook.com/events/119202791822080/

The fifth installment of Next Level Gaming's Quarterly Smash tournament is back this time exclusively hosting Project M and Melee. For our summer tournament we will have the games you play and love, but we'll also be throwing a BBQ during the event so that players can kick back, relax, and spend some time with friends in between sets!

Preliminary Schedule:
10 A.M. - Venue Opens
11 A.M. - Melee Doubles
11:45 A.M. - Project M Doubles
1:15 - Melee R1 Pools begin
1:45 - Project M R1 Pools begin
3:30 - Melee R2 Pools begin
4:00 - Project M R2 Pools begin
6:00 - Melee Top 16 begins
6:30 - Project M Top 16 begins
6:45 - Melee Intermediate Bracket begins (tentative)
7:15 - Project M Intermediate Bracket begins (tentative)

The schedule is subject to change in the weeks leading up to NLSS 5, but this is roughly what it'll look like.

While y'all wait for me to set up pre-registration here's some other information about what you can expect at NLSS5:

1) Trophies - Yes, we're still doing custom trophies to the winner of singles for each game. Unlike previous iterations there is no number goal for trophies to be a thing, I don't care if we get 5 people or we get capped - the winner of both Melee Singles and Project M Singles will receive a custom made trophy at the end of the event. I'll update this post with photos of previous trophies soon.

2) Medals - Previously various people suggested that we offer some sort of extra incentive to the winners of doubles, similar to how we have a trophy. Well, you spoke, I listened. I am proud to announce a partnership with Claim to Fame Entertainment who will be helping us with the event by providing custom-designed medals for the winners of both Project M and Melee Dubs.

3) Caps and Preregistration - Anyone who was at NLSS 4 knows how cramped the space can get and nobody wants to be in a store with 200 other people during the middle of summer. Because of this we have decided to cap the event at 56 singles competitors for each title. This allows us to do two things, RR Pools and keep the event as intimate as possible while keeping a strict schedule that should allow almost all out-of-region guests to be home at a (not completely) unreasonable hour (like 10 o'clock). Furthermore, to allow me to better prepare for the event we will have mandatory pre-registration. We are currently working on pre-registration benefits to make this option more enticing to all of you.

4) Pot Bonuses - With less people comes less of an opportunity to take home those sweet, sweet Jackson's (soon to be Tubman's). Don't worry, we've got you covered. In addition to the trophies and medals that competitors have an opportunity to take home there will be scaling pot bonuses, with a base of 300 dollars and the opportunity to hit 600 dollars total if we're able to hit caps. Each singles title will have a 100 dollar base pot bonus and each doubles title will have a 50 dollar base pot bonus, both of which can double if caps are hit.

5) Carpools - One of my favorite things that New Fish offered was the ability to recoup money if you came with a group of friends to the event. Gas money can be a *****, so to assist with out-of-region travelers we have allocated 150 dollars in our budget to assist all y'all who travel for us. As of right now we have the ability to refund gas money at the rate of 1 dollar per 20 miles, up to 15 dollars a carpool. This feature is only available for people travelling with cars of 4 or more, where every member of your car is preregistered. There will be more details about this released in the coming weeks.

Carpool link - http://goo.gl/forms/reF9Zdz6NB8CJ7073

6) Barbecue - This is the saddest news of the post. We might not actually be able to hold a barbecue at the event because of new tenants at the building where Next Level Gaming is. We are currently working to try to resolve the situation, but in the event that we can not have a BBQ, alternative measures will be examined and taken. I like the idea of food at tournaments and we will be speaking to local businesses in an effort to fix that problem.

As always, if you have any questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to message me either publicly or privately. I'm looking forward to putting on the best event that I can for all of y'all and look forward to seeing you at the end of July.

Tl;dr - Trophies are still a thing, medals are a thing now too. The event will be capped and require pre-reg. There is a 300 dollar base pot bonus that can double to 600. We have 150 dollars to help out-of-region players travel to the event. We might not be able to have a bbq

Top Bottom