• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maximizing Ike's damage on the edge.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
One thing I learned from Mortal Kombat is that Sub-Zero sucks mid-screen. Everyone could take advantage of him with faster attacks, faster projectiles, and highly damaging combos. It took pushing my opponent to the edge before I could truly do anything with him. Sub-Zero is slow? Give your opponent limited mobility. Keep them in the corner, place an Ice Clone, and completely ruin their day with any attempts to escape.

With Ike, it's a similar deal. Tons of hitlag is detrimental in a game that focuses around competitive viability based on one's ability to recover quickly from strong attacks and make your opponent think you're not safe. Ike doesn't have that. He has good range and power, and is more mobile than some of the other heavyweight characters. His FSmash kill power has been nerfed, and his ability to build damage is limited due to his slow attacks.

He also has tremendous durability and dangerous kills in the air. His greatest weapon comes from his aerials. Use jabs to get people off of you or damage them quickly to send them flying, grabs to punish their shields and BThrow them off the edge (or DThrow into Nair/Fair/Uair combo), and Fair, Nair, and Bair as your primary damage dealers and punishers. Keeping them on the edge will do just that - keep them on edge. They have less room for error, and you can keep grabbing them and throwing them off stage. That leaves them vulnerable to Fair gimping or even Eruption to punish recovery and go for an early kill.

People on Battlefield make this tricky because they rely on platform mindgames. Regardless, Ike has the best chances on the edge. High recover Fair or walk-off Fair, walk-off Bair, Eruption, and on occasion, Dair, are your best killing options. They're far faster than USmash and can kill quite early if your enemy is close enough to the edge. UTilt is decent for punishing ledge recoveries or keeping people off of you, while Nair can at least range around a rolled ledge recovery.

Some characters, such as Little Mac and Captain Falcon, benefit from being on the center of the stage. But if you want to maximize Ike's damage, it's recommended to keep your opponent cornered whenever possible.

EvilShadow777

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1177-8767-4539
With Ike's powerful aerials and strong reach fighting near the edge can be a valuable option, especially considering you can do some fun tricks with aether to snipe your opponent through thin/curved stages. After a down throw you also have all kinds of follow up options to bully and get a somewhat early kill, so it can be well worth it.

However, saying Ike is dominant at the side of the stage is a bit of a stretch. Characters like Link, Samus, Mario and Greninja all have options to get you in the air and then they have great gimping angles. Likewise if you pick an edge battle with something like Rosalina, Sheik, or Diddy their spacing and aerials put you at more threat than you put them.

Personally I see Ike as a skirmisher. His run speed is below average but considering his nair, his dash grab, and his side b he has a good list of approach options, though obviously he also has powerful moves you can lead into approaching enemies. Because of his overall kit he can weave in and out of fights while landing a few solid hits.

Due to this kind of play style I usually fight center stage unless I read my opponent or have an advantage. The center stage let's you retreat as needed as well as giving you the space to approach and stay alive. Many of my fights have been won by firing myself at center stage with side b and getting a good ftilt, utilt, or counter in for a finish. Ike is a heavy character with decent approach and an amazing horizontal recovery and it's something I do my best to take advantage of.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
One thing I learned from Mortal Kombat is that Sub-Zero sucks mid-screen. Everyone could take advantage of him with faster attacks, faster projectiles, and highly damaging combos. It took pushing my opponent to the edge before I could truly do anything with him. Sub-Zero is slow? Give your opponent limited mobility. Keep them in the corner, place an Ice Clone, and completely ruin their day with any attempts to escape.

With Ike, it's a similar deal. Tons of hitlag is detrimental in a game that focuses around competitive viability based on one's ability to recover quickly from strong attacks and make your opponent think you're not safe. Ike doesn't have that. He has good range and power, and is more mobile than some of the other heavyweight characters. His FSmash kill power has been nerfed, and his ability to build damage is limited due to his slow attacks.

He also has tremendous durability and dangerous kills in the air. His greatest weapon comes from his aerials. Use jabs to get people off of you or damage them quickly to send them flying, grabs to punish their shields and BThrow them off the edge (or DThrow into Nair/Fair/Uair combo), and Fair, Nair, and Bair as your primary damage dealers and punishers. Keeping them on the edge will do just that - keep them on edge. They have less room for error, and you can keep grabbing them and throwing them off stage. That leaves them vulnerable to Fair gimping or even Eruption to punish recovery and go for an early kill.

People on Battlefield make this tricky because they rely on platform mindgames. Regardless, Ike has the best chances on the edge. High recover Fair or walk-off Fair, walk-off Bair, Eruption, and on occasion, Dair, are your best killing options. They're far faster than USmash and can kill quite early if your enemy is close enough to the edge. UTilt is decent for punishing ledge recoveries or keeping people off of you, while Nair can at least range around a rolled ledge recovery.

Some characters, such as Little Mac and Captain Falcon, benefit from being on the center of the stage. But if you want to maximize Ike's damage, it's recommended to keep your opponent cornered whenever possible.
What does walk-off Bair and High recover Fair mean? Is there a guide that explains what all these words are? I looked but can't find anything.

X-ian

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5344-0425-2862
What does walk-off Bair and High recover Fair mean? Is there a guide that explains what all these words are? I looked but can't find anything.
I believe the walk off b-air literally means walking off stage and b-airing someone as they're already near the ledge, trying to recover. Of course, you would use the left over jump to help you get back on stage. Also, I'm assuming that would stage spike on stages with almost 45 degree edges.
I think the high recover thing means catching people with an f-air as they're attempting a high recovery to get on stage instead of the ledge.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I tend to actually hop over the ledge and do my double-jump while doing the bair on someone. It works on walled-stages as well, because at high enough damage, it will bounce them back and if they don't tech it, it will gimp them anyway. I've also clipped the edge, let go, and short-hopped into Dair. This is particularly effective against King Dedede.

Last edited:
Top Bottom