• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchups where Roy excels over Marth

DJ _ICE

Smash Apprentice
Are there matchups where Roy just does better over Marth? For what characters is it better to have Roy's great combo potential, ability to kill better, closer effective range and fast falling over Marth's similarly good juggling, better range and zoning abilities, floatiness and better recovery?

BathSalts

Smash Rookie
I'm sort of a noob but I think roy-sheik is much better than marth-sheik. You can shut out ground approaches with dtilt and combo off it to punish very hard

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Roy vs. any light-weight/floatie. Kirby, Jiggs, G&W, Squirtle, etc, can be killed at extremely low percentages with Roy, and especially on smaller stages like Yoshi's and WarioWare.

For floaties like Peach and Samus, it's much easier to kill them off the top of the stage with Roy than it is Marth. Roy's DSmash is perfect for dealing with characters like those.

JeezImSoBored

Smash Apprentice
^^ what he said, basically whatever matchup where marth has a hard time killing, roy will prob do better. The small tradeoff is that roy might die easier though. but that is true just as a general difference between marth and roy.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
i was going to mention the sheik MU too. shiek has a much harder time getting under roy with things like ftilt or dash attack when he goes to short hop. roys superior tilt coverage and ability to navigate quicker in the air vertically means that shiek has a harder time setting up juggles on him. as far as the MU goes, i wouldnt exactly say its advantageous towards roy, cuz i dont believe that it is. but I do think roy has an easier time than marth does with it. also, i agree with the floaties concept, although excluding peach and samus. CC heavy character affect roy a bit more than they do marth, and since roy is a bit slower, it means that hes going to have a harder time supplying pressure to transition out of the neutral game and into combo game. on the other hand it is quite hard for marth to kill the floaties like peach and samus, whereas roy doesnt. im not sure if that difference will balance itself out or not or weigh more towards marth or roy, but the neutral game is general a bit more important.

Top Bottom