• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Discussion, Week 3: Toon Link

Who do you think this matchup favors?

• 45/55 Slightly in Shiek's favor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40/60 Bad matchup for Wolf

• 35/65 One of Wolf's worst matchups

• Total voters

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Toon Link :toonlink:
Before you begin to read this, I have permission from Mumbo, the original creator of this idea. I will be using his format and some of his information, so give a big credit for the work he's put into this. Thanks. Unfortunately I'm not great with formatting so it won't look as nice as Mumbos.

This will be a series of threads, each dedicated to a single matchup, covering all 41(+) matchups. These threads are going to be a collaboration, so PLEASE give me your thoughts and opinions. Post your videos here, even if you lose. Post your preferred stages, even if people think otherwise. Post your tips, even if you think you aren't the best player.

This week it was a tie between Toon Link and Squirtle, so I just used a randomizer to decide. We will vote for the next matchup here on this guide, so vote on the strawpoll here:

Part 1 - http://strawpoll.me/4336480

Part 2 -
http://strawpoll.me/4336490

I. Videos:

II. Overview:
Toon Link is a character that likes to zone his opponent out with projectiles, making the opponent play his pace. He will use his bomb to primarily setup combos, and with his quick speed it can be hard to slow him down.

Toon Link's Strengths:
  • Strong projectile game
  • Disjointed moves
  • Fast
Toon Link's Weaknesses:
  • Getting too comfortable with zoning
  • No answer to shield pressure
  • Bad rolls
  • Combo food
Key Points:

III. Matchup Analysis:

Neutral Game:

Comboing/Punishing Toon Link:
Escaping Toon Link's Pressure:
Edgeguarding Toon Link:
Recovering against Toon Link:

Putting it all together:
IV. Stages

V. Tricks, Tips, Do's and Don'ts:
Don't:
Do:
Tricks:
Tips:

Guide Contributors:
@ TimeMuffinPhD TimeMuffinPhD @ Soft Serve Soft Serve

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
TBH this one is free. blasters stop bombs, they stop boomerang, they slow down his movement and control a lot of horizontal that can stop his platform movement, and you don't have to commit to anything to throw down the blaster while he has to give up space to safely put his projectiles out. He has no outs to shield pressure, bad rolls, easy combo food, we have amazing grab follow up on him, short recovery thats easy to intercept (invincible bairs from ledge, reverse hit upair from below, dair from above, hold ledge vs tether mixup). On the flip side he has no good way to pin you down, no good conversion tools on spacies until like 50%, his low %'s combos can't launch until higher % so you can just CC shine ****. If he gets a grab at low % and upthrows you can shine him out of it. Its really bad, the only positive for the MU for him is that he has disjoints so if both go for a nair he will come out on top in that situation.

65/35 wolf's favor, if not 70/30

Last edited:

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Aw man I made a typo in the title. It's mean to be Week 3. Why can't you change these things?
I'm 90% sure you can. I used to just change the title for our power rankings rather than make a new post. Not sure if thats been changed. Should be an edit title thing in the top right if I remember correctly

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Wolf bops us. Keeps us from pulling out bombs, out manuvers us, combos us hard (and we don't really combo him, or the other Spacies, till they start getting into the higher percents), messes with rang, and is just a pain.

Definitely a horrible MU for us.

At least 70:30 (which isn't an option lol) Wolf's favor.

Also...

Toon Link's Weaknesses:
Getting too comfortable with zoning
No answer to shield pressure
Bad rolls
Combo food
First one isn't really a weakness and is more of a player problem, if you can even call it that.

TL actually has some solid OoS options for dealing with shield pressure. Can't grab, but Up-Special OoS is good and a frame 3 jump and a frame 5 aerial to cover his front and another frame 5 aerial to cover his rear. He's definitely better equipped at handling shield pressure then a lot of other characters.

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
I'm 90% sure you can. I used to just change the title for our power rankings rather than make a new post. Not sure if thats been changed. Should be an edit title thing in the top right if I remember correctly
I got it. Thanks man!

The Baron

Smash Apprentice
Best way to punish tether? I'm thinking force on stage to ledge hop dair or ledge dash F-smash?
replace f-smash with d-smash and you're golden though ledge hop dair or uair are arguably the better choices. I prefer uair myself but that's just preference

AndrogynousOkami

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-2412-4203
I agree that this is a bad matchup for Toon Link, primarily because he can't chain much of anything on Wolf except maybe tech chases (which he's not that good at) until mid percentages, and Wolf's speed makes it hard for him to safely pull the projectiles he needs to do that. Be careful about thinking of it as free, though, since once you do hit that ~40-50%, he can do some serious damage. His recovery's not that short, either.

It's still a horrible matchup for Tink, though. 40-50% is a lot.

Top Bottom