• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match up issues with Megaman and Pikachu

houselobos

Smash Rookie
I've been having match up issues with Megaman and Pikachu, where I am losing more fights then I win against those characters.

I noticed that one of the problems I have is how small the characters are and trying to hit them. I try my short hop fairs and n airs but it seems I keep kicking right above their heads. I haven't used the D-tilt much (landing D-tilts is one of my sticking points). Perhaps that is a viable options since it hits low, it is fast, and can set up for grabs, combos, etc.

With Megaman, and many projectile based characters, I tend to close the gap as soon as possible. I know if they get their space they work their magic. I keep it close but I don't have an active strategy other than going for grabs and landing aerial combos.

Pikachu gives me issues since he is so fast and grabbing him is difficult. Keeping it close helps but I want an active strategy.

Let me know mates.

Thanks

Lobos.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I've been having match up issues with Megaman and Pikachu, where I am losing more fights then I win against those characters.

I noticed that one of the problems I have is how small the characters are and trying to hit them. I try my short hop fairs and n airs but it seems I keep kicking right above their heads. I haven't used the D-tilt much (landing D-tilts is one of my sticking points). Perhaps that is a viable options since it hits low, it is fast, and can set up for grabs, combos, etc.

With Megaman, and many projectile based characters, I tend to close the gap as soon as possible. I know if they get their space they work their magic. I keep it close but I don't have an active strategy other than going for grabs and landing aerial combos.

Pikachu gives me issues since he is so fast and grabbing him is difficult. Keeping it close helps but I want an active strategy.

Let me know mates.

Thanks

Lobos.
It's not surprising, Megaman and Pika are bad MU's for us. For Pika, I recommend going to the MU discussion thread, as Pika is the current topic.

I barely know anything about the Megaman MU sadly.

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
I've played a bit of Megaman; there's a really good local Megaman player in my scene.

Basically, for this matchup, you have to focus on moving around the Megaman's lemons and being where he isn't covering. If you can work around his short hop neutral airs and get in, that's where you can open him up and do some damage. Same thing goes for his other projectiles: neutral b, forward smash, and side b (I think those are the important ones). Whenever he puts one of those out, move around it and punish him for it.

You also can't really side b in neutral at all, since you'll just get stuffed out by any of his moves. Only use it top punish him sitting in shield when he's at too high of a percent to get follow ups out of throws.

Basically, you just need to play very reactively instead of playing proactively.

Top Bottom