• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Match Up] How to play against Rosalina and Luma?

natethegreat2nd

Smash Rookie
I have found this to be one of the hardest match-ups because of Rosalina's ridiculous lingering hitboxes and seemingly untouchable dodge. Also her Uair goes right through G&W's key, which is one of his highest priority moves. I have seen her use the double Uair to send G&W out at 50%.

I can get rid of Luma. That is the easy part. Dash attack followed by a Dsmash or Ssmash sends it right off the edge. But her dash attack and weird aerials are giving me fits.

Besides "get rid of the Luma" what strategies do you employ when taking on a high level Rosalina player?

Any help would be appreciated!

TheUndeadReturns

Smash Cadet
NNID
House0fFastFood
If her aerials are tough for you to go up against, try on the ground. Rosalina users are always doing shield > grab when someone approaches with anything but a grab, so I'd recommend doing that of anything.

That's all I can really offer. Anything else depends on the opponent you're fighting, and I haven't fought a heck of a lot. Sorry.

Nose

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jecolo
really without luma the mu becomes so much easier because luma is an overwhelming part of rosa's 'punch' so to say

game and watch has extremely good throw combos on her, since she's so large,
and kills her very easily with dthrow to uair because of her large hitbox and light weight

honestly i'd say it's in our favour by quite a bit.

don't challenge her uair with dair-- i barely challenge anything with dair anymore, i think it has sucky priority. i only use that move for spiking or the occasional dj mix-up when someone's approaching.

at the end of the day, rosa is big, gnw can rack up damage easy on her, and has a very solid kill option. dash attack to get rid of luma and then play the grab game my friend.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Against Rosalina, you're either up close and personal or you're out. Don't mess around in the area in-between; you'll get wrecked.

This also applies to the air. Her aerials are disjointed and, if she has luma, very powerful. You will lose. She can spike your Up B with her Down A so you need to be careful about getting gimped/spiked. If she gets you with her D throw into two Up airs you can say goodbye to any chance of winning. I wouldn't rely on gimping her because her recovery is so good, but gimping is useful to rack up damage.

Your best kill options would be your Up Smash, F Smash and Up air, with your best damage options coming out of you D throw combos and your Dash attack. (D throw ---> Up tilt ---> Up B, D throw ---> Nair)

Also try to maintain stage control by staying at the center of the map, like :4littlemac:.

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
Basically just approach from the ground. Any aerial you throw out will get punished pretty easily, as she'll just shield grab you. Also, try to throw really quickly because she'll just jab with Luma to break out.

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
Abuse the living hell out of your jab and tilts. If you get Rosalina in the air then Uair becomes absolutely lethal with how large she is. I wouldn't recommend dash attack unless you get rid of Luma and can space perfectly into a string of them.

Top Bottom