• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Match Up Discussion - Vs. Kirby

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
:4kirby:

General Rules:

• No Flaming. Respect the opinions of others even if you disagree. Let's not get heated on an online forum for a family-friendly game. Failure to abide by this will result in the wrath of the law.
  • Human error isn't something worth serious consideration. Discussions will assume both characters are being played to utmost potential.
The following are suggested subtopics of conversation:
  • Character strengths and weaknesses
  • How to effectively approach/deter approaches
  • Off-stage game
  • Positional play
  • Punishes/punishing
  • Specific moves/strings that are strong for both characters
  • Suggested custom movesets
  • Stage strengths and weaknesses
  • Overall score [NOTE: THIS IS NOT AS IMPORTANT DURING THE FIRST ROUND OF DISCUSSION]
***For general questions not related to the current topic in this thread please use the General Match Up thread.***

This thread shall last for around 8-9 days, with the next thread opening up in about 5-7 days.

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
This match gives me a lot of trouble. Kirby is constantly in the air, meaning that you have to hit him with aerial attacks. But if you do something like a short hop fair, Kirby can just hop again and get an advantageous position over you. His aerial mobility just completely outclasses Mewtwo's. However I am sometimes able to trick or bait my opponent by doing things like a straight upward full hop, or pull back on my forward air so I'm not moving in a predictable line. SHAD Phasing can also be effective to keep your opponent guessing. Keep track of Kirby's jumps, because he eventually has to come down. When he does, you might be able to punish with something like an up-smash. Most of kirby's specials are easy to punish, but you still have to watch out for his inhale at times. He is definitely going to want to copy the shadow ball ability because its just so good. Kirby is also really hard to grab sometimes due to his low height, making grabs a very inconsistent option.

D

Deleted member

I believe this MU is in our favor. 55:45.

As Zarxrax Zarxrax stated, Kirby crouching can be a bit of a pain for us because it makes grabbing or baby Shadow Balls an inconsistent option to use against him. A Kirby who's able to break through our defenses and start strings with fhtrow isn't a particularly fun time either. Kirby also has a few deceptively fast KO moves in his kit, his smashes (his up smash is one of the strongest in the game) and back air in particular, but they're all short ranged. His back throw kills at the ledge and up throw can kill us particularly early especially on a stage with platforms, so it's very risky to choose somewhere like Battlefield, Dream Land, T&C or Smashville vs him.

Our biggest advantage in this matchup is our better range and overall better mobility, both in the ground and the air. Kirby's air speed is pretty bad and his recovery is slow, predictable and easily challenged. Even if Kirby gets the Shadow Ball copy ability, it won't be much of a deterrent to us because we simply can just reflect it back with Confusion. Kirby usually has to respect us in neutral if he have a fully charged Shadow Ball at hand, and Kirby will usually be trying to do empty hops as a mixup, and going in for SH aerials or grabs when the opportunity is clear.

In the air, nair, fair and uair are are particularly useful against him. Up air covers the entire area above Mewtwo, juggles well, and can kill Kirby decently well thanks to Kirby's rather poor vertical endurance. Just know that when in the air, DON'T CHALLENGE STONE. I know the move is not commonly used in competitive play, but seriously don't do it. Back air is also good for edgeguarding Kirby's recovery or as a ledge getup mixup since the move passes through the stage and can hit Kirby if he's waiting near the ledge to potentially punish us. If a Kirby is trying to trick you with his landing by making small jumps above the ground and jumping again, utilt and up smash are effective anti-airs due to their range.

Recommended Stages: Final Destination, Duck Hunt, (if possible) Umbra Clock Tower

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
>Suggested Custom Movesets...

>Mewtwo...

Anyway, I never would guess the Kirby matchup is gonna trouble Mewtwo too much. Kirby has huge problems getting in, and even if Mewtwo's hurtbox is still huge, he outranges Kirby by a similar huge margin. B Air and Tilts alone should create a wall Kirby won't easily cross. And then there's Shadow Ball, which I guess you should try and avoid Kirby getting. And even IF Kirby gets it, he can't get Confusion, so no Super Effective shots for Kirby.

Avoid U Tilt and B Air and we basically have not much to fear. It's not a cakewalk I guess, Kirby does have some nasty options ONCE he gets in... But am just not seeing it. U Throw can also kill Kirby early, so that's nice. D Tilt will make it hard for Kirby to approach ( a thing he cannot do either way) to.

I'd say we beat Kirby about 55-45, if not 60-40.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Most of how I feel about this matchup has been already stated, so I'll just say that Kirby's Shadow Ball is noticeably worse than ours.

:150:

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
>D Tilt will make it hard for Kirby to approach ( a thing he cannot do either way) to..
Eh, I've never played a kirby who approaches me by walking up. They are always jumping in, making dtilt completely useless most of the time.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Lots of Kirbies will spend large amounts of time floating to make you become impatient and make punishable commitments. In truth his aerials aren't that quick outside bair, so they're not too difficult to react to.

Top Bottom