• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Match Up Discussion - Vs. Donkey Kong

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
:dk:

General Rules:

• No Flaming. Respect the opinions of others even if you disagree. Let's not get heated on an online forum for a family-friendly game. Failure to abide by this will result in the wrath of the law.
  • Human error isn't something worth serious consideration. Discussions will assume both characters are being played to utmost potential.
The following are suggested subtopics of conversation:
  • Character strengths and weaknesses
  • How to effectively approach/deter approaches
  • Off-stage game
  • Positional play
  • Punishes/punishing
  • Specific moves/strings that are strong for both characters
  • Suggested custom movesets
  • Stage strengths and weaknesses
  • Overall score [NOTE: THIS IS NOT AS IMPORTANT DURING THE FIRST ROUND OF DISCUSSION]
***For general questions not related to the current topic in this thread please use the General Match Up thread.***

This thread shall last for around 8-9 days, with the next thread opening up in about 5-7 days.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I put these MU 50:50 because Donkey Kong can kill Mewtwo at low % but Mewtwo has many spaceing options against Donkey kong

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I put these MU 50:50 because Donkey Kong can kill Mewtwo at low % but Mewtwo has many spaceing options against Donkey kong
No, this is a really hard matchup for Mewtwo. What exactly does M2 have that outrange DK's tilts?

M2 also dies at 60% with 0 rage from a grab. Since we can't kill DK at all until about 120-140% this means that going anywhere above 40% = death for us because of rage. DK can get 36% off a grab guaranteed at 0% and he can also get it if he lands an U-Tilt at some point.

It's incredibly easy for DK to get us to 40% and after that then all he needs to do is land that one grab (if he is in rage, otherwise he needs to hit us a few more times).

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's M2's worse like some M2 mains claims, but it's definitely a bad matchup.

I will say it's probably top 3 demoralizing MUs. It's really hard on your morale to outplay someone 15-20 times only to get outplayed 2ce and lose a stock first.

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
No, this is a really hard matchup for Mewtwo. What exactly does M2 have that outrange DK's tilts?

M2 also dies at 60% with 0 rage from a grab. Since we can't kill DK at all until about 120-140% this means that going anywhere above 40% = death for us because of rage. DK can get 36% off a grab guaranteed at 0% and he can also get it if he lands an U-Tilt at some point.

It's incredibly easy for DK to get us to 40% and after that then all he needs to do is land that one grab (if he is in rage, otherwise he needs to hit us a few more times).

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's M2's worse like some M2 mains claims, but it's definitely a bad matchup.

I will say it's probably top 3 demoralizing MUs. It's really hard on your morale to outplay someone 15-20 times only to get outplayed 2ce and lose a stock first.
Tilts understandable but what about air mobility? M2s moves are faster then dks plus in a logical conclusion m2 has less ending lag in half of the moves then DK plus not to mention a better recovery then dk

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
From what I've noticed in this match-up, Mewtwo has to play much more aggresively than usual. If Mewtwo play too defensively and DK corners him then it will not end well.

I'd also say its 40:60. DK can destroy us too easily if he gets in.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The hardest superheavy for Mewtwo to fight. His mobility advantage is not as significant as it is with others, and DK's frame data is no joke. His bair in particular gives our fair a run for it's money. They'll both do nasty things to each other on a hit, but DK can take more. He's far more difficult to gimp too.

Yet, DK still has the flaws of the superheavy, having to approach, being combo/juggle food, and especially in DK's case bad ledge options, so the same basic strategy of mini-shadow ball zoning still works, just not quite as well. You won't have much time to charge, but that doesn't mean you can be too aggressive either, since you'll likely get swatted or an ape foot in the face.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ding Dong is gonna kill Mewtwo extremely easily. Around 50%, it's a sure stock. But it can get predictable, and DK is quite easy to predict. He's gonna try to grab if he's facing you forwards, he's gonna do a B Air if he's facing you backwards. D Tilt and Shadow Ball are for favorite tools here, as is F Air. In general, all you really have to fear is DK's B Air and Ding Dong, the rest is easy for Mewtwo to work around. Oh yeah, his Jab and Tilts are also no joke and allow for follow ups, but D Tilt can challenge those moves easier than B Air. In this matchup, try to gimp DK with Shadow Ball if he tries to come back. I agree with above posters that DK up close is extremely bad for Mewtwo, but it's definitely not unwinnable. DK has just a few (EXTREMELY) effective moves and options in this MU, if you won't let him abuse you with it, he won't nearly feel as comfortable fighting you. Baby Shadow Ball spam can also annoy him greatly.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
From what I've played, this is one of my worst match ups. We definitely don't win or go even. I think it's 60:40 DK at best.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Remember to just NEVER TRADE HITS with Donkey Kong. This is crucial in this match up.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
As a DK co-main I think this is either 50:50, or 55:45 in mewtwo's favor. I'm leaning towards the latter. Yeah, DK can kill mewtwo really early but mewtwo is so floaty that the ding dong window is pretty small and cargo combos in general stop working a lot earlier than most characters. If you just play to not get grabbed in the ding dong percent window mewtwo is fine. If you don't know the ding dong window for mewtwo then yeah, you can get rekt.

And outside of ding dong mewtwo wins pretty much everywhere. Especially neutral, where DK has to approach and is heavily annoyed by shadow ball. Also mewtwo really doesn't have to fear DK's edgeguarding that much because of his great airdodge and teleport recovery. And mewtwo can definitely edgeguard DK better than DK edgeguards mewtwo. But DK's weight advantage has to be considered heavily here, which is why DK doesn't get destroyed. I think on paper mewtwo wins this solidly but in practice good DK players are going to make a few reads now and then. Thus why I think it's 55:45 mewtwo favor instead of 60:40.

Last edited:
Top Bottom