• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Analysis 2

Brando550

Smash Cadet
Salutations, my fellow YL players (and others browsing this thread)! I'm back with another match analysis and hopefully I can expand upon the current YL meta with some unexplored concepts.​

This is the match I will be analyzing

F-tilt and it's ability to help you put on safe pressure

Not too long ago, the YL discord informed me that our f-tilt has a tipper hit-box similar to Marth's, though not nearly as powerful of a kill move. Even though it is not the best kill move we have, it does help to maximize your space from your opponent while still putting on pressure. It is also a great move to use for edgeguarding in comparison to YL's dsmash, given the greater range it has.

In this picture, I am safely out of range of Marth's grab and his other OOS options while still being able to put on shield pressure. And as shown in the GIF above, I was able to shield stab with it and send him off-stage for an edge-guard.

In this picture, I am able to put shield pressure on Falco while staying out of range of his Bair and shine. In the moment I did not realize this, so I tried to do a SH-Nair and got hit, but looking back I could have done a [wavedash-back] into multiple other options like Dsmash/U-tilt/grab.

Aerial Drift

Undoubtedly you've faced enough top-tiers to understand they can create mix-ups of recovery depending on where they drift to. Fortunately for us, we can do the same thing!

I think it's an underutilized tool by many lower tier players because they're already overwhelmed trying to create a solid gameplan to fight top tiers that they don't look into the smaller details of their own character. Not only can you use aerial drift to mix up your recoveries, but you can also use it to trick your opponents into whiffing a punish or even to get a punish yourself, as demonstrated in the GIF above.

I know that this GIF is me Air-Dodging, but my aerial drifting afterwards put me into a good position to punish the whiffed F-smash.

Clanks

Idk about you guys, but when I'm practicing against CPUs and try to punish a missed tech, whether I set it up intentionally or not, almost every single instance they do a get-up attack, which has accidentally taught me which moves clank with what for the most part.

As you can see, the hurtbox that appears on YL's foot mid-way thru his Dsmash animation clanks with Marth's get-up attack. The Marth also looks like he's still in the end-lag of his move while YL is already in an actionable state.

In this clip I did a Smash Boomerang that clangs with Marth's F-smash =O!

Dsmash on Platforms/Spacing with Dsmash

This is something I've been experimenting with. If Peaches can spam Dsmash on platforms for punishes, why not us?

In this clip I get a nice shield stab on the mohawk of Falco

I think this idea has merits to it and will be trying to put it into my neutral game when the situation presents itself. Not much else to say about it.

I'm amazed at just how far-reaching YL's dmash really is. This is probably perfect spacing, but it goes to show just how useful our Dsmash is. I'm out of his grab range and all of his OOS options. I wouldn't recommend trying to use this move to space as much as F-tilt.

I was even able to not get hit by the Fair OOS just by crouching!

Miscellaneous

Single-hit Bair outspaced Marth's grab range

He wasn't able to shine me after he Daired me?? What's up with that?

I was drifting backwards while doing Fire Arrow and Marth's Fair missed me??

http://imgur.com/a/ezojT Here's the gallery containing all these GIFs and a few extra.

Last edited:

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Brando doing it FOR THE PEOPLE!1!!!1

Seriously good **** man

its scary i saw this three minutes after you posted though

Brando550

Smash Cadet
Brando doing it FOR THE PEOPLE!1!!!1

Seriously good **** man

its scary i saw this three minutes after you posted though
Thanks =). Can you see the GIFs? For some reason on my screen they aren't showing up.

Top Bottom