• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Master of the reset, the man who could live forever

Master of the reset, the man who could live forever

spacedcartoons

Smash Rookie
spacedcartoons submitted a new guide:

Master of the reset, the man who could live forever - A guide for Little Mac players

Hello, i'm creating a guide for all little mac players, whether you're seasoned or just starting to learn him. I will start off with this, little mac is a hard character to "master", as he is different from other members of the cast. One of the reasons being, he has super armor on all of his smash attacks. When playing as Mac, you have the option of two playing styles. Well..not necessarily true, but for the sake of the argument..you can play the typical style that the rest of the cast has, i.e...
Read more about this guide...

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
It's all right. Definitely get some more experience with Little Mac first. You comment on each attack's use well, but it looks like you don't discuss how to implement it well. I commented further on the guide.

MarvinxO

Smash Rookie
Not a smash4 pro or anything, but I have been experimenting with Little Mac's moves and here's a little tip that i noticed with his fsmashes:

fsmash(uppercut) - weakest smash of the variations. Acts similar to a up smash with the hitbox reaching from his feet to just above his head. Also moves forward as a fsmash which may be good for edge guarding and spacing. I mainly used this fsmash for edge guarding or needing to knock someone out at higher % but you're on the other side of the stage and a normal fsmash won't do the trick. Throwing out uppercuts surprises most people I vs due to the hitbox it has.

fsmash(normal) - 2nd strongest of the variations. Good horizontal momentum as it has the most horizontal range of the variations. Can be used mid to close stage for a knock out. Can be used for spacing and some punishes as it does have super armor.

fsmash(body blow) - Strongest of the variations. Good for setups as it has barely any knockback. But what people completely miss about this fsmash is its shield breaking capabilities. If applying pressure to a character's shield, if you see it at probably 30% - 40% of its size, a body blow will most certainly break the shield. It can catch people off guard as it does that much shield damage. if you're going to throw these out, the person has 2 options: either take it, which is around 20% damage (30% at full charge). or block it, and risk getting stunned.

Maybe experiment with these first. Utilizing these fsmashes definitely gives Little Mac's game a bit more edge.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
Not a smash4 pro or anything, but I have been experimenting with Little Mac's moves and here's a little tip that i noticed with his fsmashes:
Up for knockback, neutral for range, down for damage. The neutral can be better for KB if you're near the edge, but often times I'm using uFsmash, as falling on LM is advantageous for LM. Moreover, it's dependant character to character, where those with bad horizontal recoveries are especially good for using Fsmash. Also, uFsmash has a larger hitbox, so those who vary with aerials are more likely to get hit by uFsmash than just Fsmash.
If you get in a situation where someone is expecting your dFsmash, charge a Dsmash. In the heat of battle, I've seen people get them mixed up. So in fear of the dFsmash, they roll behind. Then they get it, if you get it right.
All in all, Fsmash is a very good move for LM, but also situational. Make sure to use it at the right time, always.

It can catch people off guard as it does that much shield damage. if you're going to throw these out, the person has 2 options: either take it, which is around 20% damage (30% at full charge). or block it, and risk getting stunned.
They can also spotdodge, roll, or counter. Probably not counter though, as few people use it as an OOS. Always vary it up, because it's rarely only two options, as many characters have even more options than this.

EDIT; Also, welcome to the smash boards

Last edited:

elmuchogrumpy

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the guide! It's very thorough and I like that you talk about offensive and defensive fighting strategies.

Signia

Smash Lord
Is dash attack really safe? Dash attack (shielded) to jab beats shield grab? How about faster options? Did you test this at all?

Does Nair also start a frame trap in shield? How about Dtilt and reverse Utilt? Are they safe, too? By that I mean are they shield grabbable by fast grabs?

Dair is his only tech "locking" move.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
Is dash attack really safe? Dash attack (shielded) to jab beats shield grab? How about faster options? Did you test this at all?

Does Nair also start a frame trap in shield? How about Dtilt and reverse Utilt? Are they safe, too? By that I mean are they shield grabbable by fast grabs?

Dair is his only tech "locking" move.
Dash attack is NOT safe on shield, unless you're on wifi. Jab is always fastest option, at 1 frame.

Nair, if timed, will AC, giving you your pick of moves. Dtilt can be spaced well to prevent shield grabs, Utilt is harder though.

I thought his jab could jab lock? I knew Dair could.

Signia

Smash Lord
Dash attack is NOT safe on shield, unless you're on wifi. Jab is always fastest option, at 1 frame.

Nair, if timed, will AC, giving you your pick of moves. Dtilt can be spaced well to prevent shield grabs, Utilt is harder though.

I thought his jab could jab lock? I knew Dair could.
Why do people say things are safe when they aren't?

I was only going by the My Smash Corner's list of locking moves. Maybe his jab is too high for some characters.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
Why do people say things are safe when they aren't?

I was only going by the My Smash Corner's list of locking moves. Maybe his jab is too high for some characters.
Because the 3DS and WiiU aren't separate boards.

As for the jab being too high, I think that's the case.

Top Bottom