• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Master Of Stealth Sneaking His Way Into Smash U - Greninja Guide - Video/Text

Did you come to this guide after seeing another guide before or is this new to you

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JoeDaBandito

Smash Cadet
Video Version: Go you JoeDaBandito On Youtube and you will Find the guide. Sorry i cannot post the link. i usually never make posts i just comment on ones or read them so sorry T_T.

hey guys joe here and here we are to learn about the master of stealth, Greninja

Just to note: this is my opinions and opinions of other that have made written guides. Sorry if i give any false information. if you do happen to find false wording or such forth tell me in the comments and show that i'm not the best around and everyones gunna get me down. Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

History: Greninja first appeared as frokie in pokemon x/y. At the start he looks cute but turns fierce quickly. He is very competitive and was actually banned from the smogon tiers because of his adaptability. Luckily for smash he keeps that adaptability but hasn't been banned.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gereneal playstyle

Greninja has a very versatile playstyle. He isn't forced to go ham but also isn't forced to camp. He is allowed to go all up in their face with his fast back air and tilts but can also camp with his natural b. Having all these choices can Make it hard to know what to do but for in general you just want to switch it up. if your opponent gets used to you spamming your shuriken go in for a grab while he shields. and vice versa. Greninjas style of mixing things up can allow you to get sneaky hits and get cheeky (BACK AIR LOL) kills. Over all he is a pretty good character, he has his downfalls but in my opinion is top 20 and is a good choice for a casual or competitive player that wants to have a lot of fun. This guy also is a good starter (get it hehe) because he can play multiple play styles and get you used to other type of play styles that aren't just going ham 24/7

Every move and use

• Dash attack: this is a decent dash attack doing 7% with a pretty good hitbox. it does have quite a bit of lag and doesnt really lead into other moves but it can be used for spacing and such. i would not recommend spamming this move. (Keeps you low to the ground too, so you can duck under some projectiles)
-tilts (1:34)

Jab combo - Greninjas jab is a multi hit jab, that meaning that it hits until you let go of the attack button. The first hit does 2%, second does 1.5% and then 3% for the ending hit of the jab. you also get an extra 1% for every hit other than those. This means that you can jab and do a lot of damage BUT on the bad side this combo takes a long time to complete and has a lot of ending lag. With that lag you will be punished and could take a lot of damage. It is a pretty basic multi hit jab, and i don't think it is great but it doesn't really suck either. imagine kirby from previous games and it is something like that. The uses for this move are mainly to punish rolls by attacking where you think they will end up rolling. Also since it is multihit it is very hard to miss the punish making it even better for rollers. Other then that you can chain it after neutral air if they dont di away. it isn’t the best jab but it isn't completely terrible. Dont spam this move but don't forget it.

up tilt now we are off to up tilt. in my opinion up tilt is a very good move. it does about 4.5% which may not seem like much but it can combo into things like another up tilt, nair, or uair. I don't believe they are true combos (meaning that the enemy can get out of them) but still a pretty good move. It can string 1-2 times before they get out of it. After they get out of your up tilt you can either dodge back and neutral b or you can go for a shield grab. It is a pretty basic move but does allow him to get some combos and can let you punish. dont spam this move but it is definitely one of greninja’s better tilts.

side tilt this move does 6.5% when you do it, which isn't horrible, but isn't great either. This move has a decent range but is pretty slow and allows you to be punished easily. There isn't much to say about this move. it can be used to space a little but in general you won't be using this move way too much other than a bit of spacing and pivot tilt. On that note this is very useful for pivot tilts, but thats about it. Dont use this move much unless you want to space or need a pivot tilt. His pivot smash is a bit slow so this is better to punish with it. My friend says “one only uses side tilt on accident when trying to do down tilt (I think I meant side smash, CURSE YOU CIRCLE PAD)” so take that as you will.l

down tilt- Oh this move. (Maybe pause here and have it show an awesome dtilt string, and then continue.) It is pretty much a ftilt but better in most ways. it hits them up to a easy follow up. allows spacing still. is faster. does more damage (7%) and is just a bit better then ftilt. This is my personal favorite tilt because of the follow ups. dont spam this move but definitely remember it. Dtilt into nair, fair, or grab are all pretty good strategies.

Overall his tilts are about average with a few very good ones. You won't be picking greninja for his tilts like mario but he isn't anything to laugh at.

-smashes(4:24)

Side smash Greninja’s side smash does 14-19% depending on how charged it is. it has decent knockback but is a bit slow. This gets outclassed by downsmash and upsmash. in knockback, damage, and coverage. also, this move doesnt (Have much range) so you have to remember that. It can be used to edge guard, but in general don't use this move too much. You can have them used to down smash and then trick them with a side smash, but other than that I would just say use the other smashes. dont get me wrong it can kill but it’s just not as good and is outclassed by his other great smashes

Down Smash This move is like side smash but better. it does 1% less damage doing 13-18% but its area of coverage is much greater . it hits both sides in a quick slice. This move sends people flying with very high knockback, is amazing for punishing rolls, and is a great out of shield option. I really believe this is better than side smash, but i guess thats up to you. you can (become) predictable with this move so mix it up with side smash, but these two moves have close to the same usage. Just remember not to spam smashes and you should be fine.

Up smash - oh oh oh this move. (Pause, insert clip of up smash being awesome, resume)This is greninjas bread and butter move. it was nerfed pretty hard in the patch, but still kills super easy if you sweet spot it and still does decent damage if you sourspot it. the sweetspot is in the tip of the blade and isn't ridiculously hard to hit like falcos new down air. This move can be used to punish rolls, air dodges, or just be used after someone shields. I love this smash, and it’s definitely his best smash. It is a bit risky because of the new ending lag that nintendo (WHY NINTENDO WHY???) added but the damage and knockback ARE just so high that it seems worth the lag. Remember to punish with this move and DO NOT spam it or else they will see it coming and try to get hit by the sour spot (or not get hit at all lol) (which does less damage). The damage for this move

is 19-26% with sweetspot or 11-15% sourspot. both are good and as i said never forget this move

In general his smashes are above average. they all kill early, aren't to slow, have great hit boxes, and don't have WAY too much lag. Don’t spam them though. They are very predictable and that can be your downfall. Other than that they are very useful and I do recommend using them quite a lot. They are great.

-grab(6:25) Greninjas has a great grab range. it is a disjointed hit box so it is hard for the opponent to hit you while you are trying to grab. It does have a bit of ending lag so it can't be spammed all willie nilly like lame lamb luigi, but still isnt too bad. The pummel does 2% and depending on the opponent can be used 1-2 times because it is pretty fast. Overall he has a pretty good grab. Also dont forget his dash grab as it is very easy to catch one off guard that way.

Up throw this is definitely greninjas best throw. It can be used to read opponents and get a free up smash if they fail the air dodge. Also, it can be comboed into up air or nair and (lead into) a lot of longer combos. If you don't know what throw to use just go with this one. It only does 5% so its not the most damaging throw but still, the combos you can get from it are very worthwhile. It has moves that it can combo into unlike other throws

Down throw this isnt a great throw but it seems to be able to go into a forward air after usage if you wait a while and if they dont tech. definitely not his best throw, and you shouldn't use it much unlike a lot of characters. 6% damage

Back throw - This move can kill at very late percents. Greninjas throws do not really kill (Very early/reliably) so remember that. this throw can get people off the stage to gimp but still isnt very useful after that. 8% damage

forward throw this throw can lead to some strings, but not true combos. This also isn't a great throw but it does decent damage. All in all, I would really reccomend up throw. 5% damage

In general greninjas throws are not too good other than his up throw. It is common in this game to have only 1 good throw though, so don’t get too down. He has a good grab range so still try to grab and get combos off of up air, or go for back throw if you want a little extra percent or some breathing room. Once again not the best throws but not TOO terrible.

-Aireals(8:00)

dont doneDair THIS MOVE, THE PUbStamp (lolwut) move. Some may think that this is the epitome of all greninja plays, but it is super easy to read. I almost never use this move. Sure, it does decent damage 8% and is great vs people that don’t shield, but really those situations won’t happen very much. Personally i just almost never use this move. it does spike downwards at the first few frames so it can be useful for that off the stage and is used for a true combo but really please do not spam this move. So punishable.

(Maybe when you first mention how bad this move is show a clip of greninja self destructing with it.)

not done Uair - Oh yes this move. I love using this move. Its my favorite of his aerial moves because it does 9% in total, auto cancels, and has a very long hitbox. the first and last hits do the most damage so keep that in mind if you can. This attack is used to short hop up air. It can be used to punish rolls, can spike, and is very hard to hit because of this move’s priority. I just love this move. it doesn't really have any drawbacks, just like shieks and samus’s. Also I forgot to mention this move can kill. you can get predictable with this move , just like all of his other moves, but it is hard to air dodge even if you do happen to know when you can dodge it. I recommend using this move a lot because it is definitely his best air move, with it’s big hit box, multiple hits. and high damage/kill power.

Bair - When greninja uses his back air it sends out 3 kicks. 3%, 2%, and 4.5%. This move has decent knock back and can be used to space by (Using/doing) pivot shothop backair. i do enojoy this move. it is pretty hard to dodge, but you usually don't get all 3 of the hits so it doesnt do way too much in the way of damage. Overall a decently fast move that does fine. it is just decend. dont forget it but and use it quite a lot in your games.

nair - When you press neutral a as greninja it sends out a burst of water that does 11% at the center and 6% on the outside. This move is a decent nair. It doesn't linger, but it is very fast and can save you from getting comboed. I dont use this move too much because it is situational but still dont forget it.

fair - a very slow 14% kill move. This is greninjas best air kill move but is extremely predictable because of the slow attack speed of it, and the ending lad can hurt as well. It’s possible to string dthrow into fair and try to get a kill but it usually doesnt work at high %. It may sound like a bad move but the kill power is very good. I'm told it is actually a very underrated move and i can see that. The amazing damage and knockback are definitely not to be ignored. you should use this move when you have a chance where the enemy is stuck in a laggy move. Do not try this move against something like a shiek fair. you will be chopped in the face. (Lol)

-specials(10:11)

Neutral b this is certainly greninja’s best special. you can sneak these in between almost every attack because how fast they are at getting afree 4%. You can camp, charge it up for a kill move, edge guard, stop approaces through the air, punish grabs, it’s just an amazing move. This is one of greninjas moves that you can spam. (bascially the only one) it cannot be charged and saved for later like samus or wii fit but that is ok because it charges very fast and can be sent out in a moments notice. There aren't very many drawbacks to this move because of its little lag and it is pretty hard to punish outside of a shield grab. The damage ratios for this move are .66% per every hit of shuriken and 9.5% for the ender. that is a 12.5%. Never forget this move NEVER (EVER)

Side b this move was very good before the patch having many at’s, but now it has just become a predictable move.(Translation: Garbage) don't use this move very much, maybe only 1-2 times a game. It does 10-12 % so it isn't that bad but do not spam. This move is better on flat zone or a place with black on the bottom of the stage, because it is impossible to see the approach.

Up b Greninjas up b is one of the best in the game. You shoot 2 pumps of water shooting in 2 directions and has water hitboxes to push people. This can be used to get to the stage, ledge, and other like things. The main fun thing this move does is gimp people with bad recoveries. Though it’s much harder to since the patch. You can sho rt hop over the stage and then up b to push those characters off the stage getting a easy kill.

Down b - This move is just a counter that can be shielded. It is not very good at all. if you use it try to do a vertical hit becuase it does 3% more than horozonal (Vertical hit substitute ACTUALLY true combos into up air at certain percentages, just so ya know (still useless))but yea just don't use this move that much. It can attack from multiple directions but it just doesn't kill very easily (It’s decent knockback imo, just hard to use) and is dodgeable which is bad for a counter. use this only if you get a good read but other then that dont use it at all.

Advanced tech(12:11)

pivot grab/smash/ftilt - this is one of the easier moves to use while starting to play greninja. It is one of the better tricks out there that everyone in the game can pull off but it’s definitely is more useful on greninja than most. The way you pull this move off is to run a direction and then right as you want to turn hit the opposite direction (as seen in the clip) then you press either smash, grab, or tilt. you can use this technique when you are running away to get a nice free hit or to run towards them and try to predict a roll.

teching -This is a technique that once again everyone can do but i wanted to mention quickly. How you pull this off is to press r repeatedly (or get exact timing but aint nobody got time for that) when you get hit into the stage. this deletes all of the momentum and allows you to get out of a lot of combos. Do not use this all the time but try it out and see what it can do.

Up air spiking. To perform this tactic you will need the enemy above you. All you have to do is up air and then fast fall by pressing down. If done quickly the enemy should shoot straight down and not be able to move for a bit. While he can't move, you will be able to use almost any smash or other move of your liking. This is hard to hit but once mastered will improve your greninja game ten fold.

Shot hop fast fall nair. To do this tatic you will need (the wii u verison lol) to have a character on the ground. All you need to do is short hop by quickly pressing jump. then proceed to use your nair on top of them. Right as you do this make sure to fast fall. When all is done correctly you should be able to get a fast attack and get out without being punished at all. Very useful but kind of hard to land.

combos(14:01)

TELL THEM TO LOOK IN DESCRIPTION IF THEY WANT A FULL LIST OF COMBOS

Greninja doesn't have any super long combos but here are a few basic ones that can get you to where you need to be. They aren't very hard to pull off and I’ll explain them one by one quickly. Greninja isn't known for his combo game but he has some good combos to get 20-30 damage a pop.

A few important combos

-Dtilt -> Dtilt 0-40 this is probably one of the easiest combos. all you do is press down tilt twice simple as that! this only works on heavier characters though so keep that in mind. I would recommend this combo becaues of its ease of use for getting damage early game.

-Dtilt -> Usmash 60-120 this one is a bit harder to pull of but still not too bad. this combo leads to some nice kills at the end of the game or just good damage. you pull it off by down tilting. then you must quickly run foreward a little bit and upsmash. they shouldnt be able to get out of it and this allows you a lot of free damage

-utilt -> uair 30-160 this is a pretty easy one to pull off. to start, you stand next to your opponent and use your up tilt. after that is completed you quickly do 1 (or 2 if they have a lot of damage) jumps and press up air. this does a pretty good size of damage and can kill at higher %

-utilt -> u smash 10-42 for this combo you must go next to your opponent. if you are right on them it will be easier and better but it is ok if you are not. now, if you are on top them them them them them just up tilt and press up on the c stick. this does a ton of damage if you sweet spot it and isn't too bad if you hit the sour spot of greninja’s up smash. this is a good eairly game damager but can be hard to get up tilts. I would recommend trying to do this as an out of shield option

-dash attack -> fair 4-140 for this one all you must do is dash attack by running and pressing a (or down on the c stick) to do the dash attack. after that is complete you must jump and hit the foreward air. it isn't too hard but can be a bit tricky so i would say that one would need some time playing in practice to make sure they got the attack 100% of the time. This is not a true combo but hits most of the time.

-fully charges shuriken -+ fair 0-80 this one has a bit hard timing again like all of the moves with forward air but isn't way too hard to pull off. All you have to do is hit a fully charged neutral b and then immediately run towards where the enemy is going. Then at the right time you have to jump and forward air (as shown in the clip) the timing is, again, a bit hard but nothing a novice couldn't handle.

-sweetspot nair -> f /u smash 6-30% this can be an extremely hard move to hit but is very rewarding. first you must sweetspot your neutral air after doing a short hop next to an enemy. If you hit the sweetspot you will be able to forward smash, upsmash, or ftilt. This can be good for very early game but is really hard to hit so do it cautiously.

-fair -> jab 0-20 for this combo all you need to do is simply run up to your opponent, short hop, and then use your forward air. If you hit it you will be able instantly use your jab combo dealing a stupidly high amount of damage. this combo is very easy to hit, but only works at the VERY start of the game so keep that in mind.

-upthrow -> bair/uair 5-86 for this combo all you need is a good grab. After you get that be it pivot grabbing or another method , use a short hop back or up air. At later percents you may need to use a full jump or somewhere in between, but you learn the timing and damage percents as your practice the combo. This is a ridiculously easy combo to hit. One of his bread and butter combos.

-Dair -> Bair this is one of the best dair combos out there. you must be above then and press down a after that once you bounce off of them and then fast fall. immedietly move in the air to have them behind you and then press back and air. this will let you hit both of those moves and can lead to some other follow ups..

weight and can jump/number of jumps. on the wall?

-number of jumps - 2 height of jump - high

wall jump - yes

able to crawl? yes. he is able to crawl. this lets him have the ability to dodge certain moves like fox’s laser and moves just like that.

lightwieght- yes. being a middlewight he is very fast, but this also has its drawbacks. he dies pretty late from his good recovery and his weight but can be gimmped if he gets sent down to far because the recovery doesnt save him from the very bottom of the map like villager or pit. This makes you need to play carefully and really not underestimate your opponent. He falls slowly compared to others which can be bad because it makes you get comboed more easily, but also good because it lets you combo. reminder: greninja isnt a only combo character he has to mix up his playstyle

speed - 4th walking 6th running. having such speed really contributes to his running and his going ham playstyle. Also it is just good to have fast speed in general

Has a good pivot grab range? yes his grab range is amazing. it has a super long range allowing you to run away and get a sneaky grab to combo into another move. This is one of if not the best pivot grab in the game. never forget it.

YOU'VE BEATEN THE GAME errr i mean you finished watching the guide… i hope that this guide has helped you become the coolest frog in your neighborhood or at least helped you get a small amount better. If you have any important questions make sure to ask below. For the next guide i will be making one of my choosing but the one after that will be chosen by you the viewers! in this episode and the next vote for a character in the comments and the one with the most likes will be up for a guide so make sure to tell your friends to vote so that you can rig the system amiright!? Thank you all for sticking through this guide and share this video with any greninja main you know. like and sub as always and see you next guide GLAHHHHH (Nin-jajajajajajajajajajajajajajaja)

So about a month ago I went looking for a guide on greninja. I wanted to know damage values, combos, and when to use what move. After a while I gave up because most people would give a very basic level of the character and i felt that I needed more than that to really know how to play the character. After a while i thought to myself to create a written guide. It turned out pretty well and 9 pages too. people seemed to enjoy it so I decided to make the guide into a video format. showing the moves but also reading the guide so that you won't lose attention. Hopefully this type of video will help you understand the way to play greninja and how great of a character he is. The video is posted below and I hope that you all will criticize me and tell me how to improve for future videos. If you did think it was informative and want more then subscribe to the channel because I will be posting a lot more of them every wednesday but on the other hand you may just want the greninja one and thats fine too. I really hope my video showing at’s combos, and pretty much every move will help you all improve. If you know a greninja main it would be great if you were to share but i’m really not about that. im not going for fame or anything of the sort, I just want to help the people that want the help. Thank you for all of the support and hope to see your greninja improve!

Top Bottom