• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Meteor too narrow?

MrWeavile

Smash Apprentice
I've been trying his meteor out for about ten minutes now, and found it's really difficult to hit, even compared to Brawl. The window seems to be extremely narrow, along with the positioning. Maybe I'm just bad, who knows.
Anyone else found a way to meteor with Marth efficiently? Also, what's Lucina's meteor like compared?

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
So it can't meteor near the side? People have been talking about Ken combos and how much it doesn't work, so I wondered.
Right, the spike is only right under Marth. The rest of the attack still has a tipper sweetspot, but it does horizontal knockback now

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Right, the spike is only right under Marth. The rest of the attack still has a tipper sweetspot, but it does horizontal knockback now
That would make sense. I was pretty sure I landed a tipper when edgeguarding, but it sent the person more horizontal. I guess this means Marth's tipper saw a nerf, but arguably not a big one as we thought. Despite losing kill potential, the tipper on the side still makes it difficult to recover.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
That explains a whole lot. But do you need the tip to spike as well? or do they only need to be below Marth?

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
So it can't meteor near the side? People have been talking about Ken combos and how much it doesn't work, so I wondered.
Ken combo doesn't work because fair>dair basically doesn't link at all outside of maybe a small window on fatties, and even that's going to be partially if not completely mitigated by good VI. Tipper dair is still okay on the other hitboxes; it's not nearly as effective as the spike but it still sends them away at a bad angle. Other options are potentially more effective though.

That explains a whole lot. But do you need the tip to spike as well? or do they only need to be below Marth?
Still has to tip. This is also true for Lucina, except that hers only tips on the spike hitbubble. Everywhere else on the blade does identical damage and pops the opponent up.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Ah much appreciated. Seems Lucina's spike would be a bit more forgiving than Marth's then. Now I know where to hit when I use it xD

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Lucina's dair is actually less forgiving, which is why I so rarely use it right now. Marth's still sends at a decent angle as long as you tip, Lucina's is an all-or-nothing prospect. You either get the spike or you pop them up.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Lucina's dair is actually less forgiving, which is why I so rarely use it right now. Marth's still sends at a decent angle as long as you tip, Lucina's is an all-or-nothing prospect. You either get the spike or you pop them up.
Aah, I see. I'll have to notify my Lucina friend on that info. Though I wonder how that supposed ken combo works then, since someone on the Lucina subsection has claimed it works.

Top Bottom