• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Low Percent Shield Break Punishes

Sir Lancelot

Smash Cadet
For the times when we break a shield at very low percents, say sub-30%, and it is clear Marth can't kill in that situation, what would the most optimal punish be? (i.e. the most damaging punish) True combos would be preferable, of course, but mixups are fine as well.

https://youtu.be/90R-HrZ6N10?t=316 This is an example of something I remember from the recent SF5, and that did 28%. Is there anything that tops that?

DariusM27

Smash Ace
http://smashboards.com/threads/best-shieldbreak-ko-option.435915/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCEtBqmYb94&app=desktop

I KOd this Fox easily at 19% with this setup. Even if it didn't kill, the harder you can hit and the further you send them off stage, the better for gimping options. If Leo had used this setup, he probably would have sealed the stock.

Also, one tipper did 25% (26 if you use Fsmash), and Leo's combo did 28% but sheik very quickly regained stage control and landed a hit on Leo, so again, I think pushing them to the edge and doing fully charged tipper is the best option.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
There are better options at 0% though. I'm sure there are 1000s of theoretical combos/strings the world has/will come up with. Some on the fly. Some will incorporate reads. And most will be character dependent.

Right now in my head I can create some scenarios at 0%.

Flat stage. Back hit Utilt x2 > short hop turnaround DB1 > falling Uair > rising Nair fast fall > Fsmash/Ftilt/Fair x2. 50 - 60%.

Flat stage. Back hit Utilt x2 > short hop turnaround DB1 > falling Uair > footstool > DB1 momentum cancel > Dair spike jab lock > brief dash away short hop > fast fall arm-hitbox Dair (12% Sakurai angle) > they barely have time to tech because they barely go into tumble > Fsmash > they die. 70-80%.

Dreamland/Battlefield lower platforms (because you SB'd and broke their shield from the ledge and they land on that platform. Or you short hop SB break shield when they're already on it and they're stuck there...).
Falling tipper Uair, short hop Fair > fast fall Fair (onto ground floor) > full/short hop double Fair off-stage > double jump Fair > DS > they die. 50-60%. You must eat their double jump during any part of this for it to work.

Stuff like that.

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace
If I know they aren't very good or maybe unsuspecting for some reason, I'll get them to the edge and go for dtilt to run off dair spike. Gotten a number of KOs with that one, but it won't work on most good players.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Yup. The Dair spike only kills after tipper SB kill percents though. Dair is kind of weak.

Top Bottom