• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth (waveland?) platform movement

Pent

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone. I play a little SSBM while studying to keep my mind running when I need a short breather. I've done something I can't quite explain at least twice now, and it's very interesting. I think it could have some tournament use. I'm not sure if this is a known technique or if it's already deemed useless, but I've never seen it used by anyone. So here I'll try to describe what exactly happens.

Basically, what has happened is a few times I've acquired what seems to be an extended wavedash off a platform. I know it's extended because I've gotten it on either left or right battlefield platform and wavedashed across the entire platform. This isn't just a wavedash, Marth practically teleports across it faster than the eye can keep up. To be clear, Marth starts on one side of a battlefield platform and zooms across the entire platform faster than the eye can keep up, falling off the opposite end. Here are some mental notes I took to try and explain what happened:

I'm always at the apex of my double jump
The angle on my control stick when performing the waveland could in fact be totally horizontal
It's long enough to span an entire battlefield platform at top speed.
Marth does fall off the opposite end and does not slow down until he's actually off the platform
I might have done it while no impact landing on the top battlefield platform. It's hard to tell because I NIL in the middle so the waveland can't possibly be the entire platform.
It does seem to simply be wavelanding out of a NIL, but I could be wrong

I think this may have something to do with how Marth's body scrunches up as he double jumps. If you airdodge almost, if not entirely horizontally perhaps his body is forced back upright and thus collides with platforms. It seems to me to be very similar to how Ganondorf's doublejump waveland a lot.

EDIT: If the top platform technique is the same as the sides I explained. This is definitely useful. In my practice I've found the fastest way to traverse battlefield from one platform to the opposite side is to actually use this technique to go across the top platform.

Last edited:

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
I'm always at the apex of my double jump
The angle on my control stick when performing the waveland could in fact be totally horizontal
It's long enough to span an entire battlefield platform at top speed.
Marth does fall off the opposite end and does not slow down until he's actually off the platform
I might have done it while no impact landing on the top battlefield platform. It's hard to tell because I NIL in the middle so the waveland can't possibly be the entire platform.
It does seem to simply be wavelanding out of a NIL, but I could be wrong
Just sounds like a perfect waveland lmao

Pent

Smash Rookie
Just sounds like a perfect waveland lmao
Across an ENTIRE platform though? Literally one side to the other? I mean literally from the far right (I usually plank right side of stage) all the way off the left side without slowing down.

Last edited:

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
Across an ENTIRE platform though? Literally one side to the other? I mean literally from the far right (I usually plank right side of stage) all the way off the left side without slowing down.
Yes. Marth has a good wavedash. Of course his perfect waveland is going to be good.

Pent

Smash Rookie
Yes. Marth has a good wavedash. Of course his perfect waveland is going to be good.
Odd. I've never seen anyone actually use this in tourney. Moon comes close with haxdash -> waveland but never goes all the way across the platform.

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Lol yeah Marth can actually WD across the entire platform. His wave land sends him much further and faster as does... Every wave land in the game.

Good stuff tho. Keep up experimenting.

Top Bottom