• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth vs Luigi Neutral

Faust the Lich

Smash Cadet
Hello all

I know this matchup favours Marth, but I'm still a bit lost as to what I am to be doing in the neutral. I've been watching some sets and analyzing what to do (Ken vs Eddy Mex, PPU vs Eddy Mex, M2K vs Vudujin) and I have learned a bit, but I want to know more. From what I've been seeing:
1. d-tilt is only good if you have them already right in front of you
2. nair in place/retreating nair is good if you're anticipating a spotdodge/hard comming
3. Spaced SH fairs (only done when landing) are the best option at a mid range
4. Dashdance isn't as good as other matchups since luigi can catch up really fast
5. Crouch-cancelling at very low percents is very good
Can anyone let me in on some more tips and tricks in the neutral? I'm confident in my punish/juggle/edgeguard game and don't really need any tips there

EDIT: I know this sounds weird, but is there a way to play the neutral that isn't "campy"? Someone I play a lot keeps getting mad at me for spamming moves in place, even though he keeps running into them and I don't see a way to play the neutral aggressively

Last edited:

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
dtilt forces them into the air.
Luigi doesn't do well in the air vs Marth.

...kill them.

Faust the Lich

Smash Cadet
dtilt forces them into the air.
Luigi doesn't do well in the air vs Marth.

...kill them.
I am aware that I want to get luigi airborne. Hence why spaced fairs are so good (also because you jump of d-smashes). I'm just wondering what I should do in the neutral, especially against a hyperaggressive luigi. And also what I can do that isn't lame or campy, because I don't want to get shunned for doing something campy if theres any other option.

Wolvie

Smash Rookie
if hes overaggressive then dont feel bad if you use a campy play style to counter it, if you adapted to his play style in way that totally beats him then dont change your style. HOWEVER, marth comes off as a super campy character because all of his attacks have to be placed expertly and well thought out, i would say if you are worried about looking campy play som captain falcon, falco, or any other character that is fast and has good approaches, at least for fun, at least thats what i would do

Faust the Lich

Smash Cadet
I'm not worried about my playstyle. The way I see my style, I like to gobble up space aggressively and use my range to zone instead of play a DD grab game. I do this in just about every high tier matchup I play. The problem is that when I play against a luigi, it feels like I can't aggressively gobble up space and I have to just not let him in. But yeah, if he plays super aggro, I shouldn't feel bad. He just gets kinda salty and I feel bad about it

AirFair

Marth tho
down taunt
Pretty sure you are in the wrong board lol

Delayed fair might not be that great at mid range, but that's just because if they don't come to you, then you have to either try and hit them with it, or fade back and hope they don't catch you out of the lag.

At the edge however, they don't have much room to dodge. It then becomes stronger, since they can only go forward.

Last edited:

tewr24

Smash Rookie
NNID
tewr24
Any move that pops Luigi into the air is good, hence the effectiveness of using Dtilt and well spaced Fairs. Just remember that a Luigi in the air has very few options when it comes to fighting Marth, due to his ability to effectively outrange everything he can do whilst he is in his lengthy falls. Just gain stage control, have him above you most of the time, and egdeguard awarely as he is a tough little guy to figure out with his many off stage mixups. And as an endnote, none of this can be really learned by reading. Getting out and playing the game is the best way to learn! Thanks for reading.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Luigi does well in the punish game but Marth easily wins the neutral game hands down.The "camping" game really isn't needed it against Luigi because for example short up leads into a Nair into a fair.You have many options againts Luigi except when you mess up on a tech

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
Not really advice in the neutral game, but if you've got a luigi that is trying to jab up b you, it isn't guaranteed even if you miss di / sdi. Jab only gives you an advantage of 1 frame, so I'm pretty sure you could just air dodge out lol

Oh, actually it's only +1 if it lands on frame 3. But it's a frame 2 jab, so it'll usually be 0.

Last edited:
Top Bottom