• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MARTH VS JIGGLY MATCHUP THREAD

wegotaname

Smash Rookie
I recently have been losing to a jigglypuff and i'm wondering how i should be playing against them if there is already a thread on this topic please link it to me thanks. :)

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
Your dash grab dips low enough to grab a crouching puff, but if you try to JC the grab, it will miss and you will be rested. Remember that you're never forced to approached Jigglypuff. You outrange her by far and she doesn't have a projectile that she can camp you out with, so make sure you don't get too antsy

Last edited:

Faust the Lich

Smash Cadet
The way I see the matchup is not like other matchups. In other MUs, you want center stage because you want to limit your opponents space and options. Against puff, you want center stage because you really can't live without it. This is because puff can fare decently well if she has her back to offstage because of her jumps and drift. If you get pushed to the egde, theres a good chance you're donezo.

I like to think of the matchup like vs Samus or Peach, where your punishes might not be very good and they can kill you pretty fast, but you vastly outdo them in the neutral and have to play very patiently, even if you want to play aggressively. But yeah, against puff, make sure your back is always towards center stage (just don't overextend on stuff. You probably won't get much off of it anyways). Wall with fair, don't be afraid to d-tilt her if shes crouching, and SH u-air is a quick and safe way to control the air above you whereas u-tilt can kill but is slower. Try to land some kill setups when you can find them (side-b -> u-tilt, d-throw -> pivot f-smash, or a raw u-tilt), but other than that just don't let her get stage control and wall with fair and stuff. Just don't overextend, wall her out for the entire match, and rack on percent pretty much.

As for stages, it really depends on the puff player, but generally try to keep to stages with tighter blast zones and less room. Stick to yoshis, avoid dreamland, and I'm not sure about the rest. Pokemon can be good since you can kill off the top easier, which favours you in this matchup since jiggs will most likely kill off the side/bottom whereas u-tilt is very potent for you. FD is also pretty good for her since the blast zones are larger, but if you notice she likes using platforms, it can be a good pick. FoD also has a high ceilling and low base (which isn't great for you), which can be important to note. Battlefield is pretty neutral imo.

As for combos, at low percent, nair is pretty good, but don't expect any combos to kill. The only time you can link moves on a puff with decent DI is if shes at really low percent. Your combos should be focused around racking on percent and getting stage control. Oddly enough, a ken combo isn't about killing, but rather, its about getting stage control.

The Young Izzy Iz

Smash Apprentice
Wavedash back -> whatever is your best friend in this matchup if you can get the read. Honestly it just boils down to patience though and walling with better aerials and tilts.

Paper Tiger

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
TIGR#367
Don't raw grab, or they will crouch and you will die.
This is bad advice really. You have to force Jigglypuff in situations where you can grab her. For example, dash up shield and grab a badly spaced aerial. Dash dance and pivot grab them with your disjointed grab. You do need to grab jigglypuff in my opinion, you just have to know when they are running away and when they are waiting for you to be aggressive with that grab. i.e. they are crouched.

AirFair

Marth tho
This is bad advice really. You have to force Jigglypuff in situations where you can grab her. For example, dash up shield and grab a badly spaced aerial. Dash dance and pivot grab them with your disjointed grab. You do need to grab jigglypuff in my opinion, you just have to know when they are running away and when they are waiting for you to be aggressive with that grab. i.e. they are crouched.
Note the word raw, implying that you did not attempt to set puff up to get grabbed out of an aerial or something. I agree that you need to grab her, but what I said is still correct in that she can crouch on the ground and rest you. Not necessarily bad advice. Incomplete maybe, but not bad.

Main things would be to stay very patient and grounded. You mostly want to aerial for zoning/edgeguarding purposes where puff is at a disadvantage with her space. Other than that, counting her jumps and using utilt are really strong for when she has to come down.

Barbeque

Smash Journeyman
just chip away at puff early stock with sword, until she is at mid/high % to dthrow/fthrow fsmash tipper, sometimes i like to fthrow, wavedash forward ftilt, tipper at around 100% usually kills. don't bother commiting to jumping out far edgeguard, just stay on or near edge and cover with dtilt/ bairs but theres no point going way out there she can always recover. she seems to not deal well with getting pressured at the end of stage, cuz her roll is short and her range is shorter than yours. so spacing sh fairs and dtilt as stage pressure seems to work, these are things i've picked up on, i have countered to FD vs puff. you can somtimes rack damage good with a throw/fsmash but its only really safe to grab standing rather than dashing, in close range. if she is at very high % and floating around above you can fish tipper uptilt kills at like 100% probably

Top Bottom